Sign in to follow this  
DanB

North Texas Hillcountry Ride

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

DanB

Yesterday I joined fellow riders from the GWOF for a day ride down to Glen Rose and Stephenville, Texas. 4 Wings, 2 of which are trikes and 2 riders with spouses made for a great group. My Debbie didn't go on this ride. I love the Texas Hillcountry for riding as it has some of the most unique topography of anywhere in the US.

DanB

At 5:40am it was kick stands up (wait a minute, my kick stand is always up now) as I departed for Duncanville, Tx. to meet up with Randy for our group day ride. It was 40 degrees at departure, however my Tourmaster Transitions jacket is very warm so I was comfortable on my 125 mile ride northwest. I previously thought about taking the interstate however love the backroads more as I took 175 up to Dallas where it intersects I-20 which I rode west towards Ft. Worth.

It was a beautiful sunrise I witnessed in my rear view mirror and traffic was nearly nothing as I owned the road until I neared the Dallas metroplex area. I arrived in 8:15 and gassed up and still had time for breakfast as a Braums restaurant was a stone's throw away. At 8:45 I motored across the parking lot back to our meetup at the gas station and saw Randy who said he had been across the street at the Waffle House having breakfast. Dang we should have called each other upon arrival. We rode about 15 miles south to meet up with Wayne and Kristie and Steve and Kathy. Randy led the group on a super ride through one of the nicest areas for riding in Texas, the northern tier of the Texas Hillcountry. If you've never ridden the Texas Hillcountry you need to add to your bucket list as there's no other place like it in the US. It's rugged hills and granite and limestone rock is so unique with it's yucca, prickly pear cactus, mesquite and scrubby vegetation. Motorcycling these roads is a special treat with it's radical terrain differentials and tight twisty windy roads. The rivers and creeks that pass through these areas are quite beautiful and many of Texas's rivers originate in the Hillcountry. Here's a link for further reading about the Texas Hillcountry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Hill_Country

We took the longer ride to Hico and over to Stephenville for lunch at a great BBQ joint, the Hard Eight which is authentic mesquite smoked. There's nothing like good Texas BBQ as this place did not disappoint my pallete either. From there we rode onto Glen Rose to the Pie Peddler, voted as the best pie in Texas. My hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream was incredible and I noticed there wasn"t a crum left on Randy"s plate either. God was that good. During the Prohibition, Glen Rose was the center of moonshining and became known as the "whiskey woods capital of the state".

As for my new Tow Pac, it performed fantastic. I had no problem keeping up with the group and could carve an edge on the corners without a problem. Steve said the Randy is hard to keep up with on his 1800 Motor Trike as I rode in second position in the afternoon and had no problem. Perhaps he was holding back a bit or had a little too much to eat. My average mileage with the Tow Pac was 32mpg. Overall I'm very happy with it and have adapted very quickly to learning how to ride it. I was in the saddle for 10 hours racking up another 500 miles.

Our day ride was stellar as temps soared to the upper sixties as we all peeled of layers in the afternoon. One couldn't have asked for better temps, roads, sunshine, food or friends. What a great group Randy rides with over in his neck of the woods as Steve and Kathy, Randy and Wayne and Kristie are all members of their local chapter of the GWRRA.

DanB

Glenrose ride pics. Me at lunch stop in Stephenville at Hard Eight BBQ

Attached files 164531=4849-Glen Rose ride, Dan at lunch stop Stephenville.JPG

DanB

Other Glen Rose riders, Kristie, Wayne, Steve, Kathy and Randy. These guys all live in the DFW metroplex and are members of their local chapter of the GWRRA.

Attached files 164532=4850-Glen Rose ride, Kristie, Wayne, Steve, Kathy and Randy.JPG

m2102

What's that bright light making you squint your eyes?

m2102

Whiz I was there and so does jerry. We're getting PMS real bad

DanB

Dang sun was really bright. Should have worn my shades. Wish you guys were there too.

m2102

maybe one of these we can make the trip down

DanB

That would be fun Mike. Just avoid July and August, horrid hot. :woohoo:

DanB

Good morning, where's everyone?:surprised:

m2102

Morning Dan. The temps really don't bother me surprisingly.i ride in some what people call crazy temps,they would also call riding the other end crazy hot.i have ridden it both . I guess it's all on how you prepare