Sign in to follow this  
firecaptain53

760 miles - 4 corner ride

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

firecaptain53

Since I live in Central Illinois and the weather man said the hurricane was going to ruin my Labor Day weekend plans, I decided to take a little ride north to outrun the approaching rain. I left home at 4:45 pm Friday eve in a lite sprinkle. I traveled north on Rt 78 straight into Wis. and stopped at a little town named Gratoit (pronounced - grass poopy), it's French you know, so I was told, many times. I tent camped in a small park that had lots of campers and ATVs next to an ATV trail I discovered, big mistake, it was 9:30 pm and the kids rode their ATVs around the park until 2:30 in the morning. I arose at 5:30 am with little to no sleep, ok, no sleep, packed up and took off. Riding north on Rt 78 to Argyle, I headed west on RT81 through Darlington, Platteville and on to Prairie Du Chein where I took Hwy 35 north. This area is very scenic with the Mississippi River on your left and high rocky bluffs to your right. I stopped at the Blackhawk Park for the evening. This is a US Army Corp of Engineers park that sits between Desoto and LaCrosse on Rt 35. I was pleasantly surprised that a few primitive camp site where still available and that the park is HAMMOCK friendly. After hanging my setup, off to the shower house I went, only to find it is 50 cents for a shower. Took a few minutes but I did find a lady with a couple of quarters but none of the gals I spoke to would agree to wash my back.:hmm: Sunday morning was sunny and pleasant and I needed to find some coffee. I broke camp and continued north looking for a coffee shop but instead found a sign pointing east to Coon Valley, I could not resist. Nice ride through the valley and countryside looping back north and west arriving in La Crosse about noon. I was not ready to stop so I topped off with fuel and rode across the river into La Cresent, Mn. There I found a little apple stand by the name of Hein Orchard, nice older lady who cut and served me a slice of just about every style they had, good thing I brought the trailer, still now sure what I am going to do with all these apples.:ponder: Riding back down the west side of the mighty Mississippi on Rt 26 I arrive at Lansing Iowa, stopping at a little ice cream shop that goes by the name - Skinny Dip. There I proceed to down a Harley Burger, 5oz patty with an onion ring, hot peppers, cheese, bacon and bbq scauce on a good sized bun, WOW was it good. They also have all kinds of other burgers and sides plus ice cream, PUT THIS ON YOUR LIST OF PLACES TO STOP if you get to Lansing Ia. and please tell them hello for me. I made my way to my daughter's house in Iowa for the night and back home on Monday, just in time for the weather to clear and grass to mow, I sure miss riding!

PS:::: Photos of the trip are located in my album, thanks for letting me ramble on and on and on and on......

Attached files 156983=4615-Hilltop view  Wis.(Medium).JPG

Bamaeagle

Thanks for the ride report...sounds like you had a great time....:yes:

Ghost Rider 2

Sounds like a great weekend.