Sign in to follow this  
74rider

West Coast

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

74rider

One of these days I'd like to get on hwy 101 at Lincoln City, OR and just head south. Anyone ever done that? How far did you go? What were the roads like? :watching:

robw

I rode it from Southern CA to Seattle in July of 2001. It is a fun, scenic ride. There is a lot to see and a lot fun side trips so plan a lot of time.

The only downsides I had were prices...everything costs a lot more, gas, food, lodging. I did it two up, pulling a trailer on a 96 SE. It was a lot of work for me watching traffic, slowdown/speedup for curves. There was a lot of traffic. At the end of the day I was pretty well worn out.

I did SoCal to NoCal alone on a GL1200 in the early 90's. It was mid September. I wasn't into the touristy stuff then and just rode. The only downside I remember was the cool, foggy mornings were a little uncomfortable but the traffic was lighter.

74rider

[user=4361]robw[/user] wrote:

I rode it from Southern CA to Seattle in July of 2001. It is a fun, scenic ride. There is a lot to see and a lot fun side trips so plan a lot of time.

The only downsides I had were prices...everything costs a lot more, gas, food, lodging. I did it two up, pulling a trailer on a 96 SE. It was a lot of work for me watching traffic, slowdown/speedup for curves. There was a lot of traffic. At the end of the day I was pretty well worn out.

I did SoCal to NoCal alone on a GL1200 in the early 90's. It was mid September. I wasn't into the touristy stuff then and just rode. The only downside I remember was the cool, foggy mornings were a little uncomfortable but the traffic was lighter.

Great info, much appreciated. Maybe when I retire, I'll try all the way to SoCal, I'm thinking of doing a long weekend kind of thing. But yeah, I forgot about all the touristy stuff. I guess the same rule applies - take twice as much money and 1/2 as many clothes, or so I've heard. Thanks again.