Sign in to follow this  
firecaptain53

Smokie Mnts and Deals Gap

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

firecaptain53

Just got back from a trip to the Smokies, wow, what a ride. This was my first trip into Tenn / North Carolina and I really liked the area. We rode the Parkway and stopped in Maggie Valley for a break because it was HOT. We took the Goldwing and pulled our trailer because the wife said NO WAY she was going that far on the Sabre. In the trailer I has a tent, sleeping bags, hammocks, tarps, lawn chairs and a cooler. The only thing we used was the cooler, since it was so hot we stayed in motels every night. On Sunday evening about 8 pm we started up the Dragon, only got about a mile or two when a storm came in. We had to stop and put on rain gear, then the hail came before we could get going again and the wind blew hard. When the rain let up we took off again only to get another mile when we came to a tree across the road. A truck coming down had a chain so we pulled the tree out of the way and started AGAIN dodging fallen tree limbs and debris all over the road, now in the dark. When we got to the top at Deals Gap Resort, no rooms left. We had to continue on to Robbinsville, 18 more miles in the rain, in the dark, dodging fallen limbs, pulling a trailer. When we got to Robbinsville it was midnight, 4 hours to go 29 miles. Coming back down on Monday was much better, I still don't know how they cleaned up the road so fast, no debris on the road at all!

Attached files 154831=4515-101_0133 (Medium).JPG

maestro319

Cool! More pics?? Maybe a video??

firecaptain53

I have both but does not seem that I can post video, here is a couple more pictures.

Attached files 154839=4516-102_0080 (Medium).JPG

firecaptain53

And this one.

Attached files 154840=4517-100_0787 (Medium).JPG

w

Did you go to wheels through time motorcycle museum while in Maggie Valley.If not it is a fun stop

toomanyfumes

Beautiful riding in the area. I rode straight though from Wisconsin in a huge rainstorm, most miserable ride of my life. Cleared up over the next week though, and we had some great riding. Wheels through Time is definitely a worthwhile stop.

firecaptain53

We did not get a chance to visit the museum since we were meeting another couple in Pigeon Forge for dinner that evening. Maybe the next time I get that far from home it will work out. Of course it took 52 years to get there this time, not sure I have that much time left.

Attached files 154890=4522-102_0804 (Medium).JPG

yooperfan

I was in the Smokies the first week of June. I noticed a Wing to HD ratio of about 2 to 1. Around here, HD outnumbers everything else about 100 to 1. I've been there in a car, a truck, and a van. Maybe next time it will be on the Wing.

Ghost Rider 2

No doubt one of the nicest places in the country to ride a motorcycle. We have been in that area twice in the last 4 years. Can't wait to go back.

kcruisin

I have the chance to ride that area often, I get wet about half the time. It's usually worth it, especially when it's not cold.

mespock

I love riding the Smokeys

Malakie

From Wisconsin myself and that is a great area. Planning on doing a ride down there myself soon.

Like others who commented about storms, I have hit a couple on my 2012. And because of that I have been working on a design for something I think is long overdue for an accessory... windshield wipers. Now building a prototype and am trying to make it so that it is able to be fit on ANY bike with a windshield that is taller than 12" including older bikes. I want to have it so that it can be relatively easily installed and/or removed. Another possibility is that it will be modular so when not in use you can remove the main arm part much like we can with hitches and so forth.

Wish me luck.. not an easy endeavor and have no clue if it will even be worth using in rain. I am hopeful though because that is the one problem I always seem to have.. the windshield gets to the point I cannot see past through it in heavy rain. I did try RAIN-X however that did not work. Works great on glass like in my car but not at all on my wing.

dwsonar

[user=4055]Malakie[/user] wrote:

From Wisconsin myself and that is a great area. Planning on doing a ride down there myself soon.

Like others who commented about storms, I have hit a couple on my 2012. And because of that I have been working on a design for something I think is long overdue for an accessory... windshield wipers. Now building a prototype and am trying to make it so that it is able to be fit on ANY bike with a windshield that is taller than 12" including older bikes. I want to have it so that it can be relatively easily installed and/or removed. Another possibility is that it will be modular so when not in use you can remove the main arm part much like we can with hitches and so forth.

Wish me luck.. not an easy endeavor and have no clue if it will even be worth using in rain. I am hopeful though because that is the one problem I always seem to have.. the windshield gets to the point I cannot see past through it in heavy rain. I did try RAIN-X however that did not work. Works great on glass like in my car but not at all on my wing.

It seems like I read about wipers before. The problem came from the windscreen getting badly scratched. Plexiglass didn't hold up like glass would. Also heard plexiglass doesn't like RainX.

Back to N.C. and the Smokies. If everything works out right, the wife and I are going in October for the first time.

Malakie

I am trying something a bit different for wipers. I applied for a patent on the design so I can't disclose too much now but I am taking a different approach to this rather than just plain basic rubber wiper blades. If it works there should be no issues with scratches and should work equally well on Goldwings or any other vehicle for that matter.

dwsonar

Cool, good luck.