Sign in to follow this  
Action

From Michigan to Arizona

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Action

On July 5th I am flying to Detroit and going down to Toledo to pick up a new to me 1200 SEi. I will ride back up to the Detroit area and spend the night to leave the next day bound for Proenix.

1900 miles of something different for me. Never done this trip on a bike. (Many times in a car) So it will be interesting at what a long trip will be like.

>>>>>Action

BigBro

Good Luck to you. Be safe out there.

Action

Thanks.

I will take all the good luck offered and anything else.

>>>>>>>Action

Action

I made the run as planned. Started on Friday morning July 6th from Michigan and about 2000 miles later pulled into my drive in Arizona on Sunday (7-8) afternoon.

I learned a lot of things on that ride.

How my evaporative vest made my ride.

When all of the warning lights don't light up when the key is turned on ...... ummmm the kill switch is in the off position. (That cost me 45 minutes at the begining of my trip)

Don't pull off on the turnpike in Oklahoma. It's not pretty.

Even though it's a Goldwing the wind noise is loud. My ears were ringing for a day after the trip was done.

The trip computer is pretty accurate at the top gallon and bottom gallon of the tank. In the middle not so much.

Large insects sound like gravel hitting my helmet.

My bike seems to be a magnet for strangers to engage in conversation at gas stations.

On this trip I received .....

a free sprite from a dude that had a bagger and thought I needed a drink. (I was sweating a bit.)

a blessing from a chaplin belonging to the Amrillo CMA.

astonishment from a guy in Missouri about the length of my trip. He has a '85 GW and has only been on a 300 mile trip.

I am going to do that again some day. ONly may be a little slower the next time.

>>>>>>Action

happy rider

You made good tracks. Sounds like a good ride. Just got back from the Wing Ding in Fort Wayne. Was tempted to buy an evaporating vest especially since a mid-west heat wave was on, but didn't. Opted for frequent stops to drink lots of cold water. Was not sure how well they worked. Any insights on these vests.

Action

I stopped in for fuel in Ft Wayne when that Wing Ding was going on. (One of my hotter days on the road) Some one at the gas station told me to stop in at the collesum to check it out. It was the first full day (Friday) on my trip and I was on a mission to get back to Phoenix.

I bought this vest from Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/Chill-Its-6665-Evaporative-Cooling-2X-Large/dp/B002BDU3R4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342044230&sr=8-1&keywords=cooler+vest)

Every day I was dressed in a long sleeved Tee shirt, jeans, boots, gloves and a 3/4 helmet with visor. The vest went over my T. On hot segments of the trip I would get a 44 oz lemonaide and when I was done dump the left over ice down my Tee shirt that was tucked into my jeans. Probably didn't look the most attractive and it was a source of coolness.

I soaked the vest at every stop and when I started out for the day. There were a couple of times I didn't really need fuel and I stopped anyway to get a drink, resoak the vest and bandanna. It would last about 2 hours in the heat of the day for that trip. The vest really was a sponge and when full of water felt much heavier and only dripped just slightly. The water on the outside of the vest would evaporate from the wind blowing at 80MPH and still the inside would be wet for much longer. At times I would soak my Tee shirt sleeves and they would only stay wet for about 10 milutes on the interstate. The vest would retain some amount of moisture and effectiveness for a couple of hours.

It isn't like AC in a car however I would highly recommend for a ride in the heat.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

happy rider

Appreciate the input. Will check it out. Regards

BigBro

Wow that is a quick turn around.

Thanks for the feedback on the vest, been seriously thinking about one of those as I tend to ride covered here. Mostly cuz there is more twisty than straight and the wildlife tends to just jump out at times.

I wear leather on top now but really thinking I would like to get one of those armored riding jackets.

BigBro

bjatwood

Pics or it didn't happen! :yes::picture: