Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
cbx4evr

Idaho, Oregon

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

cbx4evr

Wife and I are planning on heading out Idaho, Oregon way in about a month.

Looking for suggestions for must do roads and things to see. Was thinking Hell's Canyon and Crater Lake.

We did ride the Oregon coast last year but missed most of the interior to get there.

BigBro

Hells Canyon Ride June16-18 or something like that.

Hwy 26 from Ontario, Or or Hwy 7 from Baker into Hwy 26. See Sumpter RR, Dredge, etc. Ride into Prairie City or John Day, Day trip around here.

Further West from John Day into the John Day Fossil Beds, heading further west into the Ochoco's and Central Or. Once around Hwy 97 and Bend/Redmond South to Crater Lake.

Most of these are decent roads, a little twisty at times but not awful.

I could provide a couple pictures of the motorcycle maps you can pick up most places around here.

Beautiful Country and lots of good touring riding country for side trips.

74rider

Just curious if you did your trip yet. I was going to add, taking I-84 from eastern Oregon toward Portland through the Columbia River Gorge - breath-taking. If you already did your trip - WE WANT PICS!!! :wave::egypt:

mespock

yes Pics ... if you did post pics

cbx4evr

Yes we did make the trip and had a great time. Awesome weather and great riding. Did go to Hell's Canyon, John Day Fossil, Crater Lake, Redwoods in California, Oregon Coast to Florence and road the Columbia river gorge on the Washington side to stay off of the Interstate. Also Lolo Pass on the way home, the only day it rained the entire ride. Also went to Hungry Horse Dam and road the road along the lake until the pavement stopped. Will have to return to do that on my KLR 650.

Wifey took better than 1000 pictures. I'll have to see about posting a few.

cbx4evr

Here's a few teaser picts.

On Wild Horse Trail Scenic Byway, northern Idaho after crossing the border.

100_3952.jpg

Along the east side of Lake Coeur d'Alene on the scenic byway.

100_4012.jpg

100_4017.jpg

More to come.

74rider

Beautiful, thanks for posting. Looking forward to more. :clap:

mespock

Nice .... Crossed Oregon once ... Don't the Big Trees a couple of times .. Love that area.

cbx4evr

Our second night was spent in Lewiston, Idaho. Had an awesome cubed steak dinner at Bojack's.

The following morning we set out for Baker City, OR.

We chose to take Highway 129 from Lewiston. I had read about this road and had it on our "to do" list. What a drive it was too. Fantastic views and lots of twisties with little traffic.

We pulled over to take a picture of the GPS and to prepare us for what lay ahead.

100_4068.jpg

100_4071.jpg

This road was definitely a highlight of our trip. I believe the area is called Rattlesnake Canyon.

100_4072.jpg

A picture from above. Notice the road coming from the left and then down below and then further away in the bottom of the canyon.

100_4082.jpg

The twisty section ended at the Washington/Oregon border. This is a picture taken next to the border marker looking below and another looking back.

100_4097.jpg

WOW!!! What a blast.

100_4105.jpg

100_4107.jpg

More to come but it will be a bit as I am heading to the cabin and no internet for a week.

74rider

Thanks for the pics!!:watching:

Malakie

On your way back I highly recommend you go the northern route and through the BEAR TOOTH pass. It is awesome and unbelievably beautiful.

Then you can also easily hit the Black Hills, the Badlands and Mt Rushmore too!

cbx4evr

[user=4055]Malakie[/user] wrote:

On your way back I highly recommend you go the northern route and through the BEAR TOOTH pass.  It is awesome and unbelievably beautiful.

Been there, done that and plan to do it again. Black Hills is definitely a favorite.

Last time I went I took my parents to Rushmore and yellowstone. Driving the Beartooth in a van isn''t as much fun.

Malakie

[user=2254]cbx4evr[/user] wrote:

On your way back I highly recommend you go the northern route and through the BEAR TOOTH pass. It is awesome and unbelievably beautiful.

Been there, done that and plan to do it again. Black Hills is definitely a favorite.

Last time I went I took my parents to Rushmore and yellowstone. Driving the Beartooth in a van isn''t as much fun.

I plan on doing the Beartooth Pass next year. Wanted to go through again this year but plans changed. Since being retired from military service due to injury last September, I had been planning on leaving in May and not returning until October after I bought the 2012 wing. I wanted to just go and wherever the road led me.. well..

But that changed.. I met a woman! :banana:

And we all know what that does to us! So plans for that kind of trip were shelved.. especially since she had never ridden before. Instead I introduced her to riding the Goldwing and we went on short rides every chance we could. During that I convinced her that a road trip was something we could do and would be fun and thus the Sturgis ride was born.

She turned out to be a natural rider... but more so, now we are actively looking for a first motorcycle for her. Now she wants one for herself also that she can ride. We still plan on double riding on long trips but for short runs etc, she wants to have her own now.

Anyhow, we are now planning on another trip for next year. We are looking at a month ride for next summer taking us all over the place including through the Bear Tooth.

We are also making changes to some things on the wing we want that we learned from the trip. For example, I want a full flat foot pad for me and replacement shifter and brake pedal. I have the extended footpads of course but I want something for the driving position that is more comfortable.

I am also going to change out the handle bars because I would like them to be about 4 inches further back and about 2 inches down. I also am adding a backrest for me.

Finally, we are getting the bike done with a mural in honor of the U.S. Navy, my disabled Veterans status and those I served with. Am thinking a U.S. flag in faded relief as the background with a U.S. Navy destroyer coming out of it 3D and an Eagle wings spread soaring over and out of the artwork. Then will have something in writing say it is dedicated to all disabled Veterans past and present.

Geez, I get writing and end up going on and on.. Time to close this out because I was actually getting ready to go for a ride this evening! My new lady has to work so I am taking a quiet night ride on my own!

74rider

Congrats on the new soul mate and one that likes riding too. :dance:And the way you describe the upcoming paint job, we want pics!!!:looking:

Malakie

[user=4444]74rider[/user] wrote:

Congrats on the new soul mate and one that likes riding too. :dance:And the way you describe the upcoming paint job, we want pics!!!:looking:

Once it is done I will post some.. As late as it is now it may not happen until spring though.. depends on finances and some other items.. after all she does want a wedding....:surprised:

74rider

[user=4444]74rider[/user] wrote:

Once it is done I will post some.. As late as it is now it may not happen until spring though.. depends on finances and some other items.. after all she does want a wedding....:surprised:
Gotcha.. I'd take the wedding over a paint job any day. The paint can come later, or maybe just save the $$ and put it into the gas tank for many, many cruises. :egypt:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,