Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
TonyBKK

Trip Planning- Minnesota to California with my son

35 posts in this topic Last Reply

BigBro

I have traveled most of 395 and hwy 26 from Wa border into California and Idaho to Bend. It is all paved and kept up well. Around the junction of Hwy 395 and Hwy 26 is some of the most beautiful country you could want to get into.

I live in that area and could possibly provide some sites if you were interested.

John Day Fossil Beds National Monument comes to mind but a lot of this is very remote country. Great riding and beautiful scenery.

Andy

TonyBKK

Thank you Andy!

I think I've got our route from Walla Walla to Lake Tahoe more or less figured out-

Walla Walla to Lake Ochoco Campground is 258 miles-

m_WallaWallaOchochoLakeCampground258mile

258 miles might be a bit too long for the little guy. There are a bunch of other campgrounds on that route and we can stop at an earlier campground if needed as the next day to Crater Lake is quite short- only 174 miles via the Cascades Lakes Scenic Byway:

n_Ochocho_CraterLakeNP174Miles.jpg

From Crater Lakes National Park it's 115 miles to Lava Beds National Monument-

o_CraterLakeNP_LavaBedsNMMap115Miles.jpg

Lava Beds National Monument to the Manzanita Lake Campground in Lassen Volcanic National Park is 130 miles-

p_LavaBedNM_LassenNP130Miles.jpg

Lassen Volcanic National Park to Lake Tahoe via the California 89 is 174 miles-

q_LassenNP_LakeTahoeMap174Miles.jpg

We'll spend a few days in Lake Tahoe and ride some loops before we continue on towards Yosemite.

To be continued! action.gif

BigBro

One note on the 395 travel from Pendleton to Mt Vernon. It is a beautiful drive however they are starting major construction through there to widen the road. I can try to find out more info but Tripcheck.com would be a good resource for Oregon Roads. Lists conditions and construction if any.

I looked at it and it also appears from Walla Walla, Wa down highway 11 is being resurfaced.

I have attached a general map of the North East Oregon roads. Anything Blue is a non-paved surface for sure. These are available for Northern Idaho, South East Washington and North East Oregon usually at about any small store or motorcycle shop etc.

These happen to be built for Motorcycle people. If you bypass Mt Vernon, Or. at 395 and 26 that is understandable even though we have a great little community for Motorcyclists passing through. I even live around here somewhere.

I would make a point of trying to check out things like the Paleo center at the John Day Fossil Beds over on Hwy 19/207. You will be within 4 or so miles of that heading west on Hwy 26.

Make sure you get fuel at any major Intersections along the way as in some places out here it can be a long stretch between stations and towns and they do roll up the sidewalks at dusk. hehehe.

Regards.

Attached files 154108=4459-2012-06-04 10.56.31.jpg

Joep

Lived near a few towns like that.. nothing moves much after dark... enjoy your trip.. and post frequently..

BigBro

Yea I can remember riding with a small group back in 1978, pulling into Yakima, Wa (decent size town) in Eastern Wa at about 6:30PM on a Saturday night. We could only find a Tavern open to get something to eat and drink.

Bikes were all thirsty from zipping around Mount Rainier all day so we had to camp out till the next morning just to get fuel. Ah those were the days.

There is one station in my town that a person could call the number on the door and the owner would come in to pump gas for a fee. At least he can make it happen if you need it.

But at the same time around here most anyone would give you a couple gallons if they had it. Still a great place to live for sure even if we have very high unemployment and a lot of displaced workers. Most would still stop and ask if you needed something if you were along the road especially if you looked distressed or in need, at times might be 2-3 hrs before you see the next car and we know it.

TonyBKK

[user=4478]BigBro[/user] wrote:

One note on the 395 travel from Pendleton to Mt Vernon. It is a beautiful drive however they are starting major construction through there to widen the road. I can try to find out more info but Tripcheck.com would be a good resource for Oregon Roads. Lists conditions and construction if any.

I looked at it and it also appears from Walla Walla, Wa down highway 11 is being resurfaced.

I have attached a general map of the North East Oregon roads. Anything Blue is a non-paved surface for sure. These are available for Northern Idaho, South East Washington and North East Oregon usually at about any small store or motorcycle shop etc.

These happen to be built for Motorcycle people. If you bypass Mt Vernon, Or. at 395 and 26 that is understandable even though we have a great little community for Motorcyclists passing through. I even live around here somewhere.

I would make a point of trying to check out things like the Paleo center at the John Day Fossil Beds over on Hwy 19/207. You will be within 4 or so miles of that heading west on Hwy 26.

Make sure you get fuel at any major Intersections along the way as in some places out here it can be a long stretch between stations and towns and they do roll up the sidewalks at dusk. hehehe.

Regards.

Thank you BigBro for the heads up on construction delays on some of the roads I was planning to ride.

That map looks good- I'll try and pick one up in Washington.

Very useful link too: http://www.tripcheck.com

If I'm reading the site correctly it seems there is some construction on the 11:

ORE11

MP 17.28 - 26.9

ORE11, 5 miles South of Adams

Estimated delay under 20 minutes

Construction Work

Comments: Pavement resurfacing with single lane travel, flaggers and a pilot car. Up to 20 minutes delays. Please use caution through the area.

And construction on 395:

US395

MP 60.8 - 64.4

US395, 28 miles North of Long Creek

Incident #:130339

Construction Work

Lanes Affected: (Northbound) 1 Lane (Southbound) 1 Lane

Comments: Road construction is occurring, with delays of up to twenty minutes through the work zone.

I don't mind riding slow through a couple construction areas- I don't think a couple 20 minute delays warrant a detour. Or is the construction such that I should really avoid taking a Goldwing on those roads?

Looks like there's a 17 mile stretch of the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway that's under construction too-

Hwy372

MP 4.63 - 21.95

HWY372, 3 miles West of Bend

Construction Work

Lanes Affected: (Eastbound) 1 Lane , Shoulder (Westbound) 1 Lane , Shoulder

Comments: Paving 17 miles of hwy from Bend to Mount Bachelor. Expect single lane closures with slight delays on the highway. Construction work near USFS Road 41 (Conklin Road) for the new multiuse trail undercrossing and the new approach for the future USFS Welcome Station. Approximately 800 ft of the highway is shifted onto a gravel surface with no shoulder and a 35 MPH advisory. Guardrail construction throughout project.

We're planning fairly short days, with lots of stops to see the sights along the way- generally about 200 miles / day and mostly camping so I expect we'll be early to rise and early to bed most days so I don't anticipate needing to hunt for gas after dark.

I was planning to check out the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. My son, like all little boys, loves dinosaurs and I'm sure he'll enjoy the museum where you can actually handle the fossilized remains of dinosaurs and other ancient plants and animals in the Thomas Condon Paleontology Center-

parkrangerwithkids285_4.jpg

Heck, if he really likes it and there's a lot to see we might end up spending a night here. :COOL:

In regards to your comment about gasoline availability- I should probably figure out the approximate range of a Goldwing GL1500 on a full tank of gas! Anyone know that by chance?

BigBro

You got what the site says. Because these are only passages for miles around and 395 is a NAFTA corridor they try to keep it one lane passage anytime they are working on it. Most times that is paved too.

Don't know if you will have internet once you leave your home. I will try to gather more specific info on the 395 route and post back.

It says Hwy 11 there in Wa is one lane passage as well so that is probably good.

Hwy 372 is a nice drive, but not sure I can get you relative intel on that road condition but I will see.

Depending on when you pass through I may be able to meet up for a coffee or something when you are passing through.

I have traveled some in my job and I always find it helpful to have some intel on the place I am going through.

Hope this is helpful.

Andy

robw

You should be able to get around 35-40 miles per gallon on the GoldWing. I reset my trip meter every time I fill up to get a ball park figure on the mileage I am currently getting.

Have a safe trip.

Malakie

Don't know if you had your trip yet but wanted to say if you plan on going through Minnesota get ready for some of the WORST roads I have ever ridden on... including the I-90 interstate.. From washboard to what feels like speed bumps every 20 feet, missing road and pot holes to just plain rough their roads are nasty.

yooperfan

As far as range on a tank of gas, hope for the best, but plan for the worst. You might be able to get 35-40 MPGs like ROBW said, but being fully loaded, riding 2 up, and maybe running into a head wind, you might only get 30+/-. Using 5 gallons might only get you 150 miles, or less, instead of 200. I THINK the tank is 6.6 gallons, but you don't use it all. That's why I used 5 gallons. GASBUDDY. COM will show where gas stations are and prices. It even has a map. I'd think about stopping at about every 100 miles. Remember junior's need to stretch his legs, and other needs.