chips902

starter motor removal 1985 wing 1200

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

chips902

i have read two different procedures one says you have to pull the engine the other says all you have to do is take two bolts out after you drop the exhuast so which is it :surrender:

toledosei

unhook the battery... remove power cable to the starter... drop the exhaust below the starter... remove 2 bolts from the starter and wiggle it out..... find yourself a rebuild kit on flea-bay, order and rebuild.

chips902

thank you very much the dealer wanted $2600.00 said needed to pull engine again thank you:banana:

toledosei

holy crap... i should work for honda at those prices

Kendas1

For $2600 a pop, I'll pull Wing starters all day long on any 84->87 you can bring me.

Ken :running:

lucky_x16

If your close by, I would do it for half that!

Sheesh, even with cleaning the starter out during the rebuild, I could have it in and out in a day!

$1300.00 a day, would make my bank account very happy!

toledosei

ok i'll do it in half of what Lucky said:funny::evil:

lucky_x16

Okay a dollar less than him.

9feathers

HERE YOU GO !

I just replaced mine 2 days ago here is what you have to do BUT YOU DON'T have to remove the motor.

1 disconect battery

2 remove any crash bars floor boards etc so the sides and bottom are clear

3 drop your exhaust from the motor and remove the two studs closest to the starter but you can leave the back end of the exhause still attached and let it hang.

4 remove the (2) bolts from the starter motor (10mm) socket 1/4 drive with a short extension and a swivel <---- this only makes it easy to reach if you dont have it you can still get to it'

5 pull back on the starter (it may be stuck due to the O=ring sticking bit it will just pull out.

6 to remoce it pull it out of its hole and kinda tilt the starter (end faceing front wheel ) up a little and then turn it counter clockwise and it will come right out.

7 to install the new starter clean the hole real good and add some grease to the hole and the oring on the new starter.

8 CAREFULLY install the starter BUT MAKE SURE the gear in the hole id lined up DO NOT JUST JAM IT IN THE HOLE as you push it in you will feel it slide into the gear and go in until it hits the O-ring on the starter. YOU MAY have to push OR pry it in the rest of the way to get the bolt holes to line up ( DONT PLY ON THE COVER WITH ANY THING HARD use wood/plastic or what ever you have to get it in all the way.

9 after you get it in and bolted up LEASE YOUR STUT OFF SWITCH OFF and GIVE IT A SHORT PUSH ON YOUR START BOTTON just to make sure if is in the little gear.

10 now just finish putting it all back together in reverse order .

11 when you done start it up stand there and look at it and smile!!!!!!

you just saved yourself 2500.00 !

hope this help you out

chips902

i can't thank you guys enough i got several respones, and low and behold i replaced the starter, without pulling the motor, even my service manual said i would have to remove, again thanks a million guys:clap:

9feathers

Your more then welcome! document.write('coolthumb.gif');coolthumb.gif

this forum is really handy and the people are all in the same boat or should I say on the same bike

intotheabis

Very nice article, thanks!

Bob mac

All the response I see is from people with gl-1500’s, will it still work for 1200?

OnaWingandaPrayer

Hi Bob . I have not remove a starter on the 1200 , but I can assure you it is very different from a 1500. The 1500 starter inserts from the rear of the engine above the drive shaft .

I did remove the one on my 1100 years ago. As I recall the header pipes do need to drop down . With the bike on the side stand I was able to wiggle the starter out. The starter shaft will pull out of the sprocket , which will hang in the starter chain. 

If we can get the attention of member roscoepc , he has much 1200 experience . I am shure he can correct me and give you better info.

BTW , where is O Brien FL ? 

Bob mac

Mike, thanks for the come back. O’Brien is about 20 miles south of live oak FL.

Mountain Rider

It's been a day or so since I had my 1200, but if I remember correctly, you need to remove the left side engine guard, remove the front engine cover, drop the exhaust on both sides, front and rear, and remove the rear most exhaust stud on the left side.  That should give you access to the starter.  You'll want to drain the engine oil before you remove the starter, or it will drain everywhere.  Careful when you remove the mounting bolts so you don't twist them off.  Also, don't forget to disconnect the battery before you start.  That's about all I can offer, hopefully roscoepc will be along to correct any errors I may have made.  Good luck and ride safe.

Bob mac

Dave, thanks for the info, I’ll be trying that later. Bob mac

Mountain Rider

Well, Bob, any luck?