Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Great Lakes Vacation

34 posts in this topic Last Reply

mespock

[user=1]Devans[/user] wrote:

Gotta do a river tour to get from Missouri to the Great Lakes...:smack:

Well you only have to cross the river LOL... I guess he could take the car ferry...

darn I shouldn't say ferry near Digger.. he my think Fairy... LOL you know Digger:twitch:

mespock

Oh then I suppose he could drive up the Mississippi.. then catch WI Hwy 60 and ride the Wisconsin River for a while

QDaddy

Hey Cobra, I live in southern lower Michigan. I've been everywhere in this great state and I can give you a few tips. First - things have changed regarding taking guns into Canada. They don't keep them and give them back anymore. Now they just keep them , period. Even for LEOs so you definitely do not want to bring one. If you like you can leave it with me and circle back and retrieve on the flip side but it may be a little out of your way. Also, the east half of the lower peninsula is kinda crappy for touring. West half is MUCH nicer. US 131 is a great highway, smooth with nice riding. When you get to the top of the state be sure to swing through Petoskey. Lots of food and lodging there. Then swing out along the shoreline on M119 through Harbor Springs and Good Hart. Some of the prettiest country in the entire state. You should see it when the fall colors are on. WOW! From there you swing back east and you have a short hop on I75 to Mighty Mac(the Mackinaw Bridge)and you are in Da U.P., eh? (You'll understand when ya get there. Smooth sailing all the way. Lots of accomodations. Beautiful country. I love it here. QD.

Cobra

Thanks for the info QDaddy! I had already decided to leave the gun at home, don't like traveling without one, but don't want to donate it to Canada either. I was looking at Streets and Trips, and I thought that highway 31 would be a good road also and it runs closer to the coast. Is 131 a better, more scenic route? I really haven't decide on a route yet, and I may not. I may just head that way with a general destination in mind and just decide on the roads when we get there. I don't plan on traveling every day. I would like to find a place and stay for a few days and do day rides, but don't know where it would be. I do know that we are going to cross into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie and plan on coming back into the States around Niagara Falls. Other than that, plans are pretty nonexistent. Am open to any and all ideas, so if you have some others, I am all ears.

Cobra

QDaddy

US31 is nice if you are just taking your time, puttin' along. But it quickly fades out into a 2 laner so that may make a difference in your plans. 131 is more of a straight shot and it's scenic too. Rolling hills, woods, farmlands. Either way you can easily get from the south end to the bridge in a day with plenty of time to sightsee and stop for breaks, etc. Both roads come together when you get "up north" anyway so it's a split decision. There's not as much camping until you get closer to the north end, if that's your plan. Of course, hotels are everywhere. Once you cross into the U.P. there's camping all over the place ranging from primitive to KOA. I'd be sure to catch the little loop through Harbor Springs though. It's just plain gorgeous. If you find yourself hanging around lower Michigan and you are a hunter/fisher/outdoorsman type then I recommend a day trip to Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare. (I am not affiliated with them in any way. Unpaid recommendation here.) It's a great place to check out. Then you can take in the movie in scenic downtown Clare. That's an experience in itself. The theatre is about 100 years old. Seats maybe 60 people. They have only 1 show and whatever's playing is whatever's playing. $4 a ticket. If you're a "people-watcher" you'll enjoy the local flavor. And there are a couple of hotels in town and several good restaurants. Just a neat little town. All that aside, maybe I'll see you when you pass through. Any help I can offer is yours for the asking. Joe.

Cobra

Thanks again Joe. Highway 31 turning into a 2-laner doesn't bother me, as a matter of fact, I would just as soon travel the 2 lane roads, usually more scenic and we are not going to be in a hurry. Would like to meet up with you, maybe do a lunch or something, if possible. Like I said, nothing set in stone yet, other than the fact that we are definitely going to make the trip. Going to get our pictures taken tomorrow for our "passcards", just another form of a passport, good for Canada, Mexico, the Bahama's, etc. As long as you are traveling by land or sea, not good for flying, but about half the price of a regular passport. Have our pics taken and send in the proper paperwork and funds, and supposed to get them back in 2 to 3 weeks. Looking forward to the trip, and it is still 3 to 4 months away! Don't even have a leaving date set yet, but would like to leave Missouri around the end of June. Thanks again.

Cobra

MLRIKR

BE PREPARED TO WIPE ALOT OF BUGS OFF YOUR BIKE

Devans

[user=758]MLRIKR[/user] wrote:

BE PREPARED TO WIPE ALOT OF BUGS OFF YOUR BIKE

ah, so your saying it is a lot like Iowa in the summer

bugs_in_teeth.jpg

MLRIKR

IT SHOULD BE A GREAT RIDE! , AS LONG AS I AM RIDING ITS GREAT , I LIVED IN MINNESOTA AND THE BUGS ARE THICK, I DO ENJOY THE STATE OF COLORADO ALOT MORE .