Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
cbowers83

Trailer Newbie

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

cbowers83

Looking to try a trailer for a road trip this summer. Have a 98 Aspencade 1500. Looking for any advice on hitches, wiring, general trailer recommendations. Looking to buy a hitch if anyone has a spare. I have been doing research and it appears that there are many options. I think I am going to start with one of those harbor freight trailers bc this could be the only trailer trip if I don't like towing the thing.

Bamaeagle

As far as hitches you need one that fits your wing. All the 1500 hitches are mostly the same. You can look on Ebay for a used one if you do not want to get a new one. Just make sure you get all the parts to it.

On the wiring you need to get an isolator such as this one:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/129/59647

Don't over load your trailer when you pack it. As far a towing it you will not even notice it is there. Make sure you make wide enuf turns when you make left or right turns.

Most of all.....Ride Safe Always!!!!

Joep

Some have extended the tongue on theirs to allow for turning ease... longer tongue keeps trailer from hitting bike in slow parking lot type turns.. some also say it helps with stability.. for what it is worth.. I tow one with my 1100 as Bama can attest to.. his is an aluminum diamond plate and mine is an old car topper on a cut down boat trailer... Harbor Freight carries one in a kit some have looked at and I believe IIRC there is one or two on here that have that one..

cbowers83

I have read about the tongue extension other places. I understand that the longer tongue also makes room for a cooler rack. All great advice from everyone, Thanks.

satan

Think of a trailer as a way to unload your bike's bags (not to limit what you carry in the trailer, but to help manage the weight loading and COG on the rear of your bike).

Look to load your trailer to have the tongue weight from the trailer at about 10-15% of the total trailer weight as a minimum (for trailer's performance and tracking) and at the same time consider that the bike will probably "feel" better with the tongue loaded at 25 pounds minimum.. Of course, according to the GL1500's owners manual, the max total load for the trunk and saddlebags should not exceed 60 pounds; since your trailer hitch mounts to the saddlebag frames, watching the tongue-weight + saddlebag load + trunk loading can be fairly relevant to staying within designed safety margins...

With all that said about the rear, you'll wanna remember that the 1500 has about 3" of total rear suspension travel... So fully loaded (with passenger, trailer etc) You'll wanna adjust your rear suspension to perform to your level of comfort ( for reference, 2-up and trailered heavy, I'll set my rear 1" = 1.25" compressed from full extension - For all other rides I'll set to 1.5" - 1.75" from full extension to maintain travel and avoid bottoming out).

Above all --- Practice. Find your favorite Sunday morning lot and work some slow speed maneuvers - A light pole can be a fuel-pump barrier (bad form to drag your trailer into a pump barrier!). U-Turns and backing (powered and walking) are an absolute MUST practice, as are all braking maneuvers. Slowing in a turn with a trailer is unique, and depending on your trailer hitch, can be something quite "exciting"... something you'll not wanna do, but - we do share roads with cages, forest rats, and other hazards. Practice!

Uncle Fester

When I used to trailer with my Yammy Venture, we would only put our coats and rain gear in the saddle bags (she gets one, I get one) and her purse, my wallet, ect in the trunk. Would load all our "stuff" in the trailer with weight about even front to rear, slightly heavier in the tongue. . . we GUESSED the tongue at 25/30 pounds and it rode GREAT that way. . . . also made it easy to find our rain gear.