Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
tazman

Replacing 1981 GL1100 Forks

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

tazman

I have had a problem with the forks on my 1981 GoldWing GL1100. They leak badly. I had new seals put in but they still will not hold oil or air.

shakehead.gif

I have been trying to buy a replacement set and have gotten conflicting information. I was told originally that the forks from a GL1000 would fit just fine. That has not turned out to be true. The GL1000 forks are a smaller diameter and have different fittings.

:doh:

I have sold the set of 1000 forks I bought ande now have a set that are supposed to be from a 1983 GL1100 that came complete with the triple tree, fork brace and top clamps and hoses. The only thing is they are longer than the ones that came off the bike. I'm not even sure it had 1100 forks to begin with now. These new forks have a label on them that says TRAC on the bottom outside leg of the fork.

headbanger.gif

My question is how do I know that I have the right forks? AND, if these are in fact from a 1983 GL1100 will they fit my '81?

11ltblue.gif

lucky_x16

The "TRAC' on them, I believe identifies them as being off of the SE, SEI models.

It is the anti-dive forks.

If they appear too long, slide the triple-tree down a bit, to your comfort.

Devans

The forks on my 1986 Aspencade had TRAC on the side of them, and like lucky said, it was for the anti-dive.

Johnny R

The TRAC first appeared on the '83 1100. According to the clymer manual, there doesn't appear to be any other difference between the '81 and the '83 forks.

Vegaswingnut

Didnt the 81 have a single piston caliper? I know the 82 and 83 have a twin piston set up. 83 was the first year for the antidive system. I'm not sure the single piston caliper will bolt on to the 82. I was thinking of upgrading my 82 to the 83 fork set.

No1UKno

The TRAC forks will not sork on an 82 or older Wing

lucky_x16

[user=714]No1UKno[/user] wrote:

I have them on my 86.

tazman

Will an 82 set work on my 81?

lopeha

if you still have the '81 forks why not just replace the inner tubes, install new seals & bushing & you're good for another 20+ years. I had the same problem with my '83 & bought a set of fork tubes from Frank's Maintenance & Engineering at frankmain.qpg.com. All they do is make forks for motorcycles. I got a set of tubes last year delivered for right at $250 which I figured was pretty good considering how long they last.

No1UKno

[user=650]lucky_x16[/user] wrote:

[user=714]No1UKno[/user] wrote:

I have them on my 86.
That would be newer

tazman

I had the original set rebuilt (new seals and rings anyway) but the left one still leaked oil and they would not hold air pressure.

I have finally received a different set that I got from eBay and will rebuild them. New seals, rings, dust covers and adding progressive springs.

Hope that does it. The bike rode great when I added air to the forks but got pretty rough when they leaked out.

I took one of them apart and it actually had two springs in it. What appeared to be a progressive spring but shorter than the new ones I ordered and a shorter standard looking spring.

Something tells me we had some creative engineering going on here and I just don;t trust the old forks.

:ponder:

Vegaswingnut

You say the 83,s are longer than the 82's. That could be because the 83's are filled with ,and are holding air. How much longer are they? They should be the same length.

tazman

Got a replacement set on eBay. Have new seals, rings, dust covers and progressive springs. I cannot get the clip rings out.

:rage:

I have a set of snap ring pliers but they will not remove the rings. They are Channel Lock so should be good quality but cannot get the rings out. They will compress but not enough to remove.

:no:

The good news is after the new timing belts and changing the plugs (iridium), oil and filter, air filter and fuel filter, it did start back up and runs good. It had a pretty bad oil leak from the new valve covers but got that fixed with some Perma-Flex.

:banana:

Getting anxious to get her back on the road, even naked (the Wing not me) until the body work is done.

:egypt:

tazman

Well, got one fork rebuilt and back on the bike. The other one has the allen bolt in the bottom frozen so I am waiting for a buddy to come over with an impact driver to get it out, hopefully without stripping the head.

:tap:

The PO had painted the lower tubes black but I have stripped them and now have a nice looking brushed aluminum look again. I also stripped the paint off of the lower front scoop so it is chrome again.

:dance:

Devans

[user=641]tazman[/user] wrote:

Getting anxious to get her back on the road, even naked (the Wing not me)

:egypt:

:rofl::rofl: Just caught that....thanks for making that clear

tazman

:COOL:

Front forks are back together with new seals, backing rings and dust covers. Bushings were in good shape.

New brake pads in stalled but I lost the darned bolts that hold the brake lines on. Back to Mother Honda for those I guess. PO had also strips the head on one of the screws in the Master Cylinder. It is actually from a 1200.

Once the brake lines are back on and the lines bled, I should be able to take it for a test ride.

:picture:

Tattoo Taffy

some nice work taz, keep it up ole son :clap::clap:

lucky_x16

Taz,

It is looking great!!!

That test ride will be quite the reward for your efforts.

Keep up the good work, you saved another one, when everyone else is thinking of chopping and dropping the parts on ebay.

tazman

First test ride WAS wonderful although short. I had to adjust the floorboards so I could up-shift in to 4th and 5th.

:ponder:

Second test ride and third and fourth were FANTASTIC. She is not idling really well yet but gets better with each ride.

:dance::woohoo::COOL:

I really don't have too much problem with those folks chopping and selling as I got a lot of the parts I needed from them.

:yes:

Some must die that others might live on.

:CRY:

Guest Bradmiester

Dear Frustrated Gold Wing Owners.

Yes, you must buy (If you can find them) or have them custom made, the correct spring rate for your riding weight.  Forget the Airforks, and get (Dual Rate) longer springs for your correct riding weights!  There is no such thing as Progressive front Fork Springs......They are either linear or Dual Rate.  You want the dual rates.

That means for you, or you and your Pillion, or you and your Pillion and your Cargo and all the accessories you have thrown on the Bike.

For the GL owners prior to 1982, Also but a Fork Stabalizer for the front forks as the Tube walls are too thin.

DO NOT, I repeat do not move the tubes higher in the triple clamps, that is changing the Geometery and Turn Radius of your machine and does not address the problem.

I'm sure you have all done the mindless and endless searches and quick fixes on the internet.  You're wasting your time and effort.

Follow the Service manual for the correct oil Height and mix a known oil wieght you have used in the past.  Do Not go by the Number on the Bottle, take the time to look up the actual viscosity of the Oil.   The Oil that came in Honda's and still comes in Hondas is Transmission fluid, and Has a CST @40 degrees of around 43.

If you really want your GL1000, 1100, regardless of year, or Naked or not naked.......to be the sweet plush ride and still hold rails in the turns: Do your home work!

Overhaul the forks with new bushings, seals and dust covers, order custom Springs, That are Dual Rate and Longer than the original. Mix the perfect Viscosity which will either speed up or slow down the action of your forks, buy an aftermarket top cap with an o-ring and BE HAPPY!

We have owned this Model, and yes, just like you.....have spent countless hours with the suspension and the Swing arm Coil Overs, in search of the perfect parts and set up!

If anyone needs help, we are in Thailand, (Yeah, thats where we retired) and own a custom Suspension Shop.  www.bdsperformance.co.th or bradbds1@gmail.com

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,