Sign in to follow this  
gold1329

Rt. 12 Idaho

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

gold1329

Hi to all, just got our snow up the eastcoast and I am starting to think about next years ride even before this year is over. I am looking for any info on Rt. 12 in Idaho, I will be doing a ride out to Beartooth with my rideing buddy who missed the trip last year. Any info on that area will be great, and that is our turn back state for our trip from Pa. Thanks and come on spring:watching::funny::watching:

Monk

I've been on it once. Took it from Missoula and traveled west toward Washington. It is a must do ride!

I was on it in June of 2010. The pavement was in good shape and the curves just keep on coming.

gold1329

Dusty Boots

I realize that gold1329 has probably already taken this trip along Hwy 12 in ID, but I thought I would add a little more information for those of you looking at doing this route, which is a 'must do' in my books.

Which way is best to do this route? - Doesn't matter. Either E - W, or W - E is good. This route is filled with fast sweepers alongside the Clearwater and Lochsa Rivers, that basically runs from the town of Orofino, ID at the western end, to the town of Lolo, MT at the eastern end of it.

6755241837_cdb36d5ba9_z.jpg

How about fuel? - If heading west, you will need to fill up in the town of Lolo, right at the intersection of US93 and Hwy 12 in the town of Lolo, MT, as it is 136mi before your next reliable gas stop, just before the small town of Kamiah, ID. If heading east, fill up at this same gas station.

Accommodations? - There are numerous National Forest campgrounds along this route, mainly between Lolo Hot Springs, just east of Lolo Pass and Lowell, ID, in both the Lolo and the Clearwater National Forests, (avoid the Wilderness Gateway Campground - very small/tiny camp sites!!!) along with some Private campgrounds, one of which I can recommend is the Lewis Clark Resort, just outside of Kamiah, ID. There are also numerous small motels/cabins to stay at along the way, but I would suggest reservations for them to avoid being stranded without a place to stay come darkness. Once you commit yourself to ridding Lolo Pass, it is a desolat stretch of twisty highway, with very few amenities between the towns of Lolo, MT and Kamiah, ID and is not a stretch of highway I would care to ride at night!!!

Lee Creek Campground

3667669503_d35f81817c_z.jpg?zz=1

3667669263_72a0674f53_o.jpg

3668475518_00e6f3b36b_o.jpg

Dusty

m2102

that looks sweet

IdahoRaider

:wave:I get to ride this often, since I practically live right on it. I never tire of it. Good road, curve after curve after curve with scenery to match.Drop me a line if you come this way.:banana: