Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Fester

My BUCKET LIST ride. . .

21 posts in this topic Last Reply

Uncle Fester

I am determined that I WILL do this ride ! I plan to start from my home here in Oklahoma City, and ride to all 48 continuous states Capitol Cities, plus DC.

I will stay the night in every capitol city, each days ride will top out at 500 miles MAX, I will take every fourth day off, unless I hit a city where I want to stay a full day first, like say VEGAS BABY !

On the off day, I will do any repair work needed, laundry, rest, and MAYBE see some local sights too. . . .

I have the city order picked out, as far as from one city to the next, but will decide the route to be taken each night for the next day.

I will carry a SPOT locator, cell phone, a good tool kit, and a cheaper camera. I will be riding by my self. I figure the trip will take about 2 to 3 months on the road and will include some stops to meet various online friends face to face.:looking:

Thoughts? Suggestions for stops? Ideas on ________? Lets here it folks.

oh, here is a link to SPOT for those who do not know about it. . . . .

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

yooperfan

That sounds like a great trip. Timing it to include a stop at the MEET AND GREET would make for a nice rest.

On the General Motorcycle Discussion page, click on the first thread, Expanding GLhelpers. That may prove to be a huge help on your tour.

Use your phone for the internet, or bring a small laptop, and post your routes day by day. That way, we'll be able to know if you'll be close enough meet you for a meal or maybe ride with you for awhile.

Use the web site, GASBUDDY. You can find cheap gas prices, certain brands of stations (in case you prefer BP or Shell, or others), and it has a map. Play with the site now to learn ALL its features and how to use them.

Know the helmet laws for each state (unless you ride covered all the time).

Be safe and most of all, ENJOY, but don't smile, you'll get bugs in your teeth.

P.S. Take at least 2 keys.

Uncle Fester

I do like the two keys idea! Thanks for that one, as well as the gas site and the other info. I hope to leave on this trip in the late spring/summer of 2012 on my new to me GL1500 I plan to buy come tax time !:egypt:

Joep

Stock up on Monkey butt Powder.. (Walmart now carries this).. and riding I 40 through Amarillo, TX can be tiring.. almost constant wind.. ( was when we rode through there at end of June )...

Uncle Fester

Yeah, I have riden through Amarillo before. . . . crazy wind there, isn't it? lol Almost as bad as Cheyenne Wyoming.:CRAZY:

I am sure I will hit all kinds of weather on this ride, as well as meet some very interesting people. . . . . yeah, Interesting, that the word for them ! lol

vbayer

If this is on your bucket list and you have more time,take more time. So much to see, so little time. there are lost of resources to use. Internet, travel channel, travel forums,send for state for travel info. 500 miles a day won't leave you much time to "smell the roses" let alone see them.All states have secnic routes. I have a similer trip on my bucket list. I'm giving my self a year. If your like me. I've given my whole life to others. Parents, service, family, etc. I want just one year of my life for me.I have about 7 more years to plan. If you going to make a once in a lifetime trip, plan a once in a lifetime trip. It would be cool to make a on line travel log so we can all go along. Good luck have a safe trip.

vbayer

If this is on your bucket list and you have more time,take more time. So much to see, so little time. there are lost of resources to use. Internet, travel channel, travel forums,send for state for travel info. 500 miles a day won't leave you much time to "smell the roses" let alone see them.All states have secnic routes. I have a similer trip on my bucket list. I'm giving my self a year. If your like me. I've given my whole life to others. Parents, service, family, etc. I want just one year of my life for me.I have about 7 more years to plan. If you going to make a once in a lifetime trip, plan a once in a lifetime trip. It would be cool to make a on line travel log so we can all go along. Good luck have a safe trip.

Uncle Fester

The 500 miles a day is my MAX for days I want to eat up miles between stops and there is nothing between point A and B I want to see, I figure 300 to 400 is my max for the most part.

I will post up the city to city route later on, so people who want to join in for a leg can let me know and be put on the "list" of stops. There are a few deviations planed, like KINGS ISLAND, a SMALL bike rally or two IF the schedule works out ( I don't like huge crowds like Sturgis ). As it stands right now, Oklahoma City is the "Kick Off" point for this trip. I will head north, then west and around the country in a counter clockwise direction.

Like said, I will be spending every fourth day (on average) stopped to enjoy the local flavor, work on the bike, do laundry, ect . I HAVE to keep the trip down to three months MAX as the wife and I have two autistic kids at home, and I WILL NOT leave her alone with them any longer.

Uncle Fester

Oh, one main item on my "To Take List" is my I-Pad to keep a day to day (end of day) log of the trip online. I figure this is small enough to not take up a lot of space, but large enough to blog on, watch movies on while riding out a storm in a cafe' or listen to music on while relaxing. Plus I can use Google Maps on it too if I get lost/turned around while on the road.

Another thing, like listed in the first post, will be a "Spot" locator, which will allow "live" tracking of my location. One reason I am carrying this is the wife and I will have a scheduled contact time each night, and if I do not contact her with in two hours of the scheduled time, she can contact the local State Patrol or Sheriff and give them my last known GPS location. I got this idea after reading about a gentleman who wandered off his planned route, wrecked, and no one found him for about a week up in Montana (I forget the exact details). Anyway, they have added a feature, if I understand right, in that you can link your smart phone or laptop to the SPOT and use it as a WIFI point, or something like that.

I will also be carrying a few days worth of MREs for emergency food, just in case, a small cooler that fits on the back seat or a rack, for ice and water bottles. I plan to pack one saddle bag with my clothes & hygiene items. The other saddle bag with tools and my emergency food & items ( tent, tarp, ect). The trunk will be for my quick need stuff, rain gear, jacket liner for when it cools off, helmet when I go inside a restaurant or store, cell phone, laptop, bike cover, that kind of thing.

I have a planned start date of 5-23-2013 for this trip, my birthday, so I have some time to plan the final details.

Uncle Fester

Oh, one last note, I hope to do this trip with NO INTERSTATES ! All two lane type US and STATE highways and back roads. Think Route 66 type travel. . . .

:COOL:

yooperfan

[user=3612]Uncle Fester[/user] wrote:

I have a planned start date of 5-23-2013 for this trip, my birthday, so I have some time to plan the final details.

Is that supposed to be 2012, as you stated earlier, or did you delay the start?

Uncle Fester

OPPS, fat fingers ! lol The plan IS for 2012, sorry!:doh:

Uncle Fester

Okay folks, here is my city to city route..... a stated before, I will be traveling State and US highways only, NO INTERSTATES! I will actually plan the next days ride the night before, so I can add stuff in as I go. The cities with a * are cities I will stay two full nights in, for rest, laundry, bike repairs/maint, ect . There WILL be other stops added as I go along, for those "YOU GOT TO SEE ______ " while passing here type of things.

Anyway, here it is :

2013 Road trip

Start

Oklahoma City Ok

Santa Fe NM

Phoenix Az

Carson City Nv*

Sacramento Ca

Salem Or

Olympia Wa*

Boise Id

Helena Mt

Salt Lake City Ut*

Bismarck Nd

Pierre Sd

Cheyenne Wy*

Denver Co

Lincoln Ne

Topeka Ks*

Jefferson City Mo

Des Moines Ia

St Paul Mn*

Madison Wi

Springfield Il

Indianapolis In*

Lansing Mi

Columbus Oh

Frankfort Ky*

Charleston Wv

Harrisburg Pa

Albany Ny*

Montpelier Vt

Augusta Me

Concord Nh*

Boston Ma

Providence Ri

Hartford Ct*

Trenton Nj

Dover De

Annapolis Md*

Washington DC

Richmond Va

Raleigh Nc*

Columbia Sc

Tallahassee Fl

Atlanta Ga*

Nashville Tn

Montgomery Al

Jackson Ms*

Little Rock Ar

Batonrouge La

Austin Tx*

Oklahoma City Ok

End

Totals

16000 miles (1500 miles buffer)

and 90 days on the road. Unfortunately, life will not allow more time on the road than this, but should still be a killer trip!

yooperfan

You missed Indiana. I assume this is the order that you plan to travel. I hope adding an extra stop doesn't mess up your schedule. As for the KILLER TRIP, yep.

Uncle Fester

No the EXTRA stop will not mess up the trip! :doh:

I fixed the list, and Apologize to Indiana for the slip up! :surrender::whistle:

Joep

Looks like you are trying to beat the heat... but when ya swung towards Austin you may get one of 2 things or both.. heat and rain/wind.. after Austin you going to swing up by the DFW metro? I would like to meet ya for coffee or lunch and maybe a short ride..

Uncle Fester

I get to the DFW area ( Corinth ) about once every other month or so as my brother lives there, and we meet opposite months for coffee in Ardmore OK, maybe you could join us for one of those meetings. . . . ?

Joep

Possibly.... I live east of 35 and 45... about 1 hour from Durant..

Uncle Fester

[user=895]Joep[/user] wrote:

Looks like you are trying to beat the heat... but when ya swung towards Austin you may get one of 2 things or both.. heat and rain/wind.. after Austin you going to swing up by the DFW metro? I would like to meet ya for coffee or lunch and maybe a short ride..

Actually, beating the heat never came to mind. . . .I grew up in Las Vegas, Texas and the Philippine Islands (Air Force brat) so heat has never bothered me much. . . . . Mom says I tolerate the heat so well because there is more than a little bit of the devil in me !:baffled: Not sure what she means by that ! lol

curley

Since we go to the same barber and have similar hair styles, "uncle"...

you may want to read some of the accounts of the 2011 Iron Butt Rally...one of the "goals" was to ride to each state capitol as well as other "bonus" offered...it also shows the result of the "SPOT" technology used by some of the riders...the IBA rally takes place each "odd" year...the winner has to avg over a 1000 miles a day...your list sounds like a lot more fun and definitely a lot less stress!.... have fun sounds like a good time.

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2011.cfm

you may also want to check into one of these:

http://sampson-sporttouring.com/fuel-cells.html

dwsonar

[user=3612]Uncle Fester[/user] wrote:

[user=895]Joep[/user] wrote:

Actually, beating the heat never came to mind. . . .I grew up in Las Vegas, Texas and the Philippine Islands (Air Force brat) so heat has never bothered me much. . . . . Mom says I tolerate the heat so well because there is more than a little bit of the devil in me !:baffled: Not sure what she means by that ! lol
I was thinking just the opposite. Looks like you'll hit the soutern states in August.