Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
tigger3333

SMOKEY MOUNTAINS

35 posts in this topic Last Reply

tigger3333

We are planning to ride to the Smokey Mountains in late May 2012. Anyone have some great places to ride or stay

MeSpock suggested Blue Ridge Parkway. Anyone have any websites they recommend???

Ghost Rider 2

2 years ago We stayed a week at Newport, Tn. Rode a different direction each day. Motel are cheap there and several good resturants.

tigger3333
:COOL: Thanks will look through these

tigger3333

tigger3333

That is what we would like to do do. Find a place and do day rides. Inexpensive lodging..too.

Thanks

SteveTS

We rode in eastern Tn this August. Townsend was our base. Many nice day rides without the slow traffic of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We did the Harley thng by riding the Tail of the Dragon. Nice ride, but too much hype and too many people. We rented a house in the mountains in Townsend for cheap. We spent 3 days there but could have easily spent a week.

gold1329

If you like the dragon area your love Fontana Village, food drink and things to do when you are off the bike.

tigger3333

Thanks for the help:cool:

gold1329

Do not go that way for the dragon but do do it, go and injoy all the other roads and if you are in Maggie Valley and need to overnight stay at the Addy Inn great people.

tigger3333

RainmanX

I spent two weeks in the Smokey Mountains in May 2011, 5 days we stayed in Maggie Valley. This is a great central location. Room rates are very reasonable. If you can make it over to Cashier, NC look for Bridal Falls. They paved the trail behind the small waterfall and you can ride your bike behind the waterfall. Great photo op.

tigger3333

Thank you. We made a reservation in Maggie Valley and will use that as a base to do day rides. Would be :COOL: to see the waterfalls though will add that to the plans.

gold1329

Have a great time I do know you will love the area, and dont you just love wating all winter for this kind of stuff.:banana::banana::woohoo:

tigger3333
:CRY: yeah, i wish we were on the road trip already. Had snow here yesterday :CRY:

SB in SC

[user=3772]RainmanX[/user] wrote:

I spent two weeks in the Smokey Mountains in May 2011, 5 days we stayed in Maggie Valley. This is a great central location. Room rates are very reasonable. If you can make it over to Cashier, NC look for Bridal Falls. They paved the trail behind the small waterfall and you can ride your bike behind the waterfall. Great photo op.

Bridal Veil Falls is really cool, but it's closer to Highlands, NC than Cashiers, NC. On highway 64 just a few miles outside of Highlands. Dry falls is very near there as well and worth a visit. Highway 64/28 is, in my opinion, is probably the best motorcycle road in the eastern US. Much better than the Dragon without all the hype. Franklin/Cashiers/Highlands, NC to Wahalla, SC is an absolute awesome ride.

RainmanX

[

Bridal Veil Falls is really cool, but it's closer to Highlands, NC than Cashiers, NC.  On highway 64 just a few miles outside of Highlands.  Dry falls is very near there as well and worth a visit.  Highway 64/28 is, in my opinion, is probably the best motorcycle road in the eastern US.  Much better than the Dragon without all the hype.  Franklin/Cashiers/Highlands, NC to Wahalla, SC is an absolute awesome ride.

I always approached from the Brevard side, so you may be right. I agree Hwy 64 is a great ride. I also enjoy Hwy 276, great waterfalls next to the road and this also offers some challenges along the way. No deals gap, but it offers some great views and twisties.

Last May was my first experience on the Wing in the Mountains.

tigger3333

Thanks will check this out

tigger3333

We did the meet and greet in Colorado this year but not on our wing, we just got the wing and now this May will do the Smokey's thanks for all the tips and ideas.

gold1329

I think 276 is the one that goes past the place you can slide down the rocks, it is $1 and it is great on a hot day.

SB in SC

[user=2618]gold1329[/user] wrote:

I think 276 is the one that goes past the place you can slide down the rocks, it is $1 and it is great on a hot day.

Yep, the place is called "Sliding Rock", oddly enough. If you stop there to slide, don't wear a normal bathing suit, wear cut off jeans, or you'll end up sliding bare assed in two or three passes!:surprised: We used to go there as kids all the time. Lots of fun, but that's some cold water.:cold:

[flash=425,344]

toomanyfumes

Was there about 4 years ago. Stayed in Gatlinburg, won't do that again, way too crowded and too much traffic.

Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohola Skyway are both cool. If you do Tail of the Dragon, do it early in the week when it's not so crowded. I thought the Wheels through Time museum moved to Arizona, but if it's still in Maggie Valley it's a must see.

tigger3333

:dance: Awesome! I did this at a slippery rock in arizona and you are right skip the suit go with jean shorts!!!

tigger3333

:dance: Awesome! I did this at a slippery rock in arizona and you are right skip the suit go with jean shorts!!! :COOL:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,