Sign in to follow this  
sfwingnut

Still Shoppin'..some advice

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

sfwingnut

OK, so after test driving a few GL1500's, I decided that I just don't like the performance/handling characteristics...although I tried.

After talking to my wife and her agreeing to a higher purchase budget, I tried a 2001 GL1800. Fortunately, the deal on that bike didn't work out, but I'm now hooked on the 1800's. What a fantastic machine.

I've got my eye on 3 local used bikes.

A black 2003 with 10k miles for $13,300,

a black 2004 with 25K miles for $12,500 (recently reduced price) and

a titanium 2003 with 20K miles for $12,300

I'm going to test drive the titanium 2003 tomorrow. What attracts me to that bike is it has a heated Corbin seat and heated grips-good for cold San Francisco days. Looks like the seat alone is worth $1,200. If I don't like that bike, it's between the 2 black beauties. All 3 have ABS.

Would you buy a newer model for less $$ with more miles, or the older bike for more $$$ with fewer miles?? The bike with 9k looks almost new.

Currently I'm putting about 3k miles per year on my 1986 GL1200i. (I'd expect that number to jump with an upgrade to the GL1800)

Thanks.

Devans

I would buy the 04 with 25k.... mainly because we are partial to black :yes: and i rode an 04 for 2 weeks, and absolutely LOVED it. I will say that i feel my 98 1500 rides nicer than the 04 did, but thats just my opinion.

I dont know that I would let the mileage affect my decission a whole lot, especially the mileage on the ones you are looking at, beings none of them are real high. The heated seat would be nice.... but if anything, I find myself trying to cool my butt down, more than heating it up :yes:. But then again I cant ride mine all year long either, as you probably can....at least until they come out with snow chains for goldwings :ponder:

Best of luck to you on your decission.... and congrats on eventually getting a new to you goldwing:cool:

sfwingnut

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, in San Francisco the heated seat is nice. I'll look at that one today. It needs to be in really nice condition to convince me, cause the '04 looks showroom new.

Thanks.

Geezerglider

I agree with Dean on the mileage. When your talking about a machine that will last and last and last, there's just not that many miles (or price) difference in any of them. If it were my choice, the difference in options would be the biggest factor.