Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
alltex

Battery drain and noise

30 posts in this topic Last Reply

alltex

I just got the bike a couple weeks ago (97 1500 se )and played the radio while cleaning and shining.The next day ,dead battery. I just thought it was becouse of the radio.Charged it .rode around awhile .Let it sit a couple days,dead agin. put a new battery in and worked fine .went for a ride a couple days ago and today ,dead.Every 2 miutes or so theres a kind of hum-buz sound coming from under it . There is a draw becouse when i hooked up the batt it sparked .Any one had this happen or know what it could be? Thanks

lucky_x16

Do you hear the speakers pop when you turn the key back on?

alltex

no,just that regular buz or hum.Its kind of wierd .i have a battery tender but i don,t think it should be needed if the bike sits a couple days a couple days,should it?

AspectOne

That buzz or humm you hear is most likely the air suspension charging itself to your preset level... my bike would do that too.

alltex

This does it with the key off.

beenshot

might try to pull the fuses until the buzz quits and then you might isolate it to a particular circuit.

machinehead

Try to determine exactly where the buzz is coming from .

Let us know what you find.

satan

Someone leave a cellphone in your new-to-you bike :P

Really, the 1500 doesn't have a maintenance hum ... I'll be interested to hear more.

The 1500 does have a really tiny draw with key OFF (like 5ma) for the clock and radio memories. ALL of this standby voltage comes through a 5A fuse located at the bottom left of the relay panel (kinda behind the left bag to the rear of the fuse block - 5A BACKUP fuse).

One thing, how far are you turning the key when you take it outta the switch...? OFF is NOT all the way counter clockwise. Just prior to the "lock" position for the handlebars is the "P" (park) position which will leave the tail lamps illuminated and a few other items with power... I've seen quite a few new-owners turn the key all the way counter-clockwise, pull the key out, and then cuss about a dead battery.

alltex

I may have turned the key to the wrong place.I left the key in lst nite and it was on acc.

alltex

That nois is coming from the air cleaner ,or there abouts.I will look some more today

satan

Does the noise only happen after a ride (for up to a few hours) or will it persit for days?

The fuel cap valve may be what you're hearing (some say it sounds like a bumble bee trapped in tuperware, others describe it as a groan... It all depends on the amount of air that is passing back into the tank as the air-space above the fuel cools down and contracts -- a simple test is to pull the cap lose to see if you lose your noise. (fix can be to soak the cap in your favorite cleaner, or just replace it... the vacuum relief valve in the cap will bevome contaminated on some 1500s)

lucky_x16

Next time you ride, when you get home and shut it off, pull the seat, and open the fuel cover.

This will let you know if it is fuel related. Either fuel cap or a leaky hose.

If it is a hose, you will see some dampness on top of the tank.

That is what mine was.

alltex

I heard it last nite and its been a couple days since i had it out.at one point when i first heard it ,i timed it and it did it every 2 minutes ,almost like clock work,Maybe the battery draw is in the radio or clock.I,m going on a week long ride next week and i can keep an eye on it better.Maybe it will fix its self.I Doubt that but i think i,l take the battery tender ,just in case!

machinehead

Check the tape deck , there might be a tape stuck inside and the deck is trying to eject it but cant.

Nightwing83

if you get a chance maybe you can contact the P.O. and see if he installed anything and removed it before he sold it there may be some extro wiring not tied up right and haveing a short

satan

[user=1845]machinehead[/user] wrote:

Check the tape deck , there might be a tape stuck inside and the deck is trying to eject it but cant.

Good call, [user=1845]machinehead[/user]! I forget that the later years eject mechanism is electronic, and is powered by the 5A BACKUP fuse, so it would have power with the key off.

AspectOne

So that was it????????

machinehead

Come on alltex ... ???

machinehead

Ex car stereo installer ... if i remember correctly , most decks will eject a tape to a " park " position or eject fully when the key is turned off .

This is to ensure that the head dosent contact the tape and become magnetised while the unit is off.

If a tape is stuck in a particular way the unit might keep cycling in eject mode.

Hope its as simple as that .

alltex

Sorry ,I just went for a 1700 mile jont in montana and haven,t been here.It never gave me any trouble and i never heard that sound.there was,nt any tape in it ,but it makes sence because thats the area the buzz came from . .when i hear that noise agin i will try playing a tape and see if that changes anything.to tell the truth i forgot all about it on my ride and didn,t hear a peep or a buzz.the battery stayed charged perfect .Maybe this bike is so great it fixed its self, i,ll let you know .Sure like it! .thanks Chuck.

alltex

AspectOne

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:tap::tap::tap::tap::tap::tap::looking::looking::looking::tap::tap::tap::rage::rage::whip::whip::whip::looking::looking::tap::tap::tap:

bhazlet

Check voltage with meter while running at 2500 rpms. Should be about 13.5 volts or more. Could be the alternator brushes or in need of altenator replacement.

alltex

Where do i hook th voltage meter to do that check? Iv,e been buzy and haven,t had time to check it outas far as the funny noises.

bhazlet

Connect at the battery terminals.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,