Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
exman1960

1998 Goldwing 1500 rear brake wear

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

exman1960

I had both tires and rear brake pads installed on my 1998 Goldwing 1500SE about a year and a half back when the bike had 24,500 miles on it. It now has 34,500 miles on it and I was hearing noise from the rear brake.I put the bike up on the centerstand today and took a look at the pads and the inboard pad is gone(metal on metal ) and the outboard pad has very little pad left. These were Honda OEM pads installed by the dealership.My rear brake rotor has some wear and grooves in it but nothing excessive. I've heard that some 1998 to 2000 Goldwings had an issue with excessive brake wear. How long should the rear pads last under normal driving conditions? I assumed they would make it at least as long as my rear tire before needing to be replaced. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this problem Thanks, Kevin

AspectOne

You should get more wear fromt hem than that HOWEVER many factors determine life span on pads, riding style ( IE Agressive VS Conservative) raods traveled, using rear more than front and more often.... many things including caliper condition, is it applying even piston pressure? etc etc....

I too had wear issues with my 15 but I am an agressive rider to say the least and ALWAYS carried a good amount of gear so I leaned ont he rear brakes harder and more often than a single rider who does a lot of interstate travel.

I dont know if any of this information is helpful but thought it worth listing anyway.

A1

Joep

Welcome from North TEXAS DFW area.... as A1 said you should get more use ... couple of possibilites.. rear master cylinder has crap in the return hole.. or caliper sticking... at least completely change fliud.. and repost this in the 1500 forum more tech types there to hep you

lucky_x16

Welcome from central Illinois.

Sounds like the pistons are not releasing on the rear caliper.

AspectTwo

:wave: Welcome to the forum from Central Arkansas! Glad to have you aboard! Be sure to post your technical questions in the Technical Forums - that's where most of our gurus hang out.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,