Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
roto-prop

Mexico to Canada 3 days?

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

roto-prop

:ponder: I just bought a 1984 gl 1200 standard. The bike is located between Tucson Arizona and Spokane Washington The distance is about 1,500 miles. The Honda has 14,500 miles on her. She has fresh oil and good tires on her. From what the previous owner has told me the bike is up to a 1500 mile ride. Although the bike has not had the Cam belts changed yet.I will do that when I get her home. If I ride her home it will be the end of May, Memorial weekend and I will have a 4 day window to hop on a plane and fly down to Tucson Arizona and ride her back to Spokane Washington. Or I can pay a shipper $700.00 to bring her home. Any other peoples thoughts on this endeavor would be welcome.

Attached files 120735=3568-1.jpg

cbx4evr

Enjoy the ride!!

Joep

Riding is more fun... shipper won't guarantee a delivery date... but on the other hand for about same costbyou fly down and then fly in the wind and have loads more of fun

Bamaeagle

I would do the ride if I could....:yes:

toomanyfumes

I'd take that ride...

waltja02

Ride it home

Joep

Well what have you decided? And are those rode miles and what route ya takin'? Inquiring minds want to know..

AspectOne

well guess im gonnabe the voice of reason here... ship the damned thing.

roto-prop

:egypt: Well I am going to be riding her back that much is decided. Thursday the 26th of May I will get up about 4:30am and start work at 6:00am. At 4:30pm I will get off work. At 6:00pm I will be catching a flight from Spokane Washington Down to Tucson Arizona arrival time 12:30am of the 27th of May.Plan on heading north up through phoenix then to flagstaff, continuing north up us-89 to a little below Cameron then make a little westerly detour on 64 for about an hour and catch the north rim of the grand canyon. I have never seen it and if I am going to be that close I really think I will take a quick peak.Then I will back track to us-89 and continue north up into Utah on us-89 then hook 20 over to us-15 and on north to Salt lake City, staying on us-15 north up into Idaho and through Pocatello Idaho,Continuing north up us-15 into Montana and on up us-15 to Butte Montana,From Butte I will take I-90 west to Missoula Montana, heading west still on I-90 into northern Idaho and across the panhandle of Idaho to the town of CoeurdAlene, continuing west into Washington and another 30 miles to Spokane and Home. When I make the trip I will be posting to my Facebook page if you want to follow it pm me with your e-mail address and I will give you a link. Other wise when I get back from the trip I will post some pictures here along with some commentary. Here is a link with a map, after you click on the link at the top of the page of the map type spokane to tucson and it will show the route very cool. http://maps.google.com/maps?ct=reset

Rudy

Finding gas south of Salt Lake City in Utah can be a drag so be sure to get it where you can find it no matter the price.

I went 20 miles out of my way last time to pay the most I have ever paid for gas just to make sure I had it. And that was in the Durango with a 300 mile range. You are about half that on the bike.

AspectOne

Safe journey bro, lots of piks please

roto-prop

:worthy: Thank you for the heads up on the fuel thats good to know

roto-prop

I will take pictures and post them

mikef

Only thing that scares me about that trip is the low mileage on the bike. Means the bike sat a lot. Sat with the stator soaked in oil. The 1200 stators are known for having issues, because the acids in the oil attack the varnish windings on the stator, resulting in failure. It may charge great for you for a few hundred miles, but may decide to stop, before you get home. Been there, done that. Your trip may go flawless, but if it were me, I would find a trailer and tow it home. But, that's just me.

Joep

Well post as often as you can...

yooperfan

Since you've made up your mind that you're going to ride it home, be careful and safe. For any kind of trip, I always check out "gasbuddy.com". It's even more important on a trip to the unknown. It can show current gas prices and road maps with station locations. Zoom in for stations, zoom out for an average price for different areas. And I agree, don't pass up a chance for gas. Stop to fill up often and stretch your legs, go easy on the throttle for more range and safety, avoid rush hour traffic and bad weather. Nothing says you can't change your mind part way home. You could rent something to haul it or ship it the rest of the way home. Last but not least, ENJOY.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,