Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Joep

my trailer refab

27 posts in this topic Last Reply

Joep

I am in the process of refabing my trailer.. do not have before pictures be cause I didn't take any when I got it.. and I am not able to upload from my droid.. and the computer is down.. I moved my lights and license off the box to the trailer bumper that the po recently put on for me..

plskthompson

Now you know:

postpics.gif

Bamaeagle

[user=1136]plskthompson[/user] wrote:

Now you know:

postpics.gif

I agree 200%.......:yes::yes::yes:

vtxcandyred
Whats the deal????????? My droid does whatever I tell it to. "Computer alert, computer alert. Strangers in the area!!!!!!!! Oh wait, you must be refering to a phone or something like that!!!!!!! MY BAD!!!!!!!!

AspectOne

[user=895]Joep[/user] wrote:

I didn't take any when I got it.. and I am not able to upload from my droid.. and the computer is down.. ..

Bro, sign up on picasa web albums thn download the picasa app for android... load albums directly from your phone from then on out.... ALL YOU WANT FREE!!

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=400x400&chld=Q|0&chl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidzoom.com%2Fw%2Fsearch%2FqrLink%3FappCode%3Dslt%26dwnId%3D43543036

A1

Joep

Thanks Chris will look into it

Vegaswingnut

Joe, you can also download the photobucket app on your phone.

Joep

Here is the progress .. this was in the middle of the change from lights on box to lights on the new bumper

Attached files 150172=4346-peuf_20120425_12.jpg

Joep

This is the trailer as it is now... the box removal and repair will have to wait for about 5 weeks.. as I am getting a repair/replacement shoulder next Monday... the wood strips will be part of the repair process,, for strength and also will need to reapir mount locations,, as they are cracking..

Attached files 150173=4347-peuf_20120425_10.jpg

Joep

This is the decking... 7/16 OSB sheathing.. before polycoating

Attached files 150174=4348-peuf_20120425_8.jpg

Joep

and here is is after 4 coats .. this is the top side and 3 coats on the bottom side(not shown)

Attached files 150175=4349-peuf_20120425_11.jpg

Joep

As you can see from thetrailer picture.. paint doesn't stick well as many here have found out.. still checking options...

Joep

Yeah Angela.. it is basically the same box...

Joep

My new and the old boxes are x-cargo boxes...the one I had had been busted by a car spare tire that was inside when it was tilted on the bumper side..by the po's son... more total invested is about 200... $40 for the original trailer.. 25 for the led lights.. 50 for the track and 50 for the new replacement box..

fysty-1

Yeah Angela.. it is basically the same box...

Absolutely! I have replaced that hinges & latches with the hinges & locks from a Thule box that I got cheap. Paid 675 (+ the 200 I spent on PPG paint to color mate the Honda color Black sapphire pearl)to have it professionally painted & it is still peeling. There has to be a way to paint these. Vegaswing has the same box & his looks good but he seems to have disappeared. I sent him a PM but no answer as yet but it has been a month. I wish I had the ambition to pull my trailer fully apart & have the entire frame powder coated. I am still hoping to turn a large wine barrel into a cargo box. Hope all works out for you. Cheers Angela

Attached files 174232=5349-531092_10151038406132987_567118499_n.jpg

Joep

Yeah his also chipped.. he just keeps the paint handy... these are polyethylene.. and the process is involved to get the base/primer coat on... which includes heating and painting while still warm/hot...

Joep

Some thinking on the refab.. i will be considering attaching the box to the outside of the frame with brackets so I can easily remove box and use for flat bed trailer.. and use the mounts for side rail mounts also... I am planning on building a relay center and battery box for the trailer lights.. using the battery on the trailer to light everything and the relays to isolate bike from trailer.. letting the relays activate the light circuits as needed. I will also consider adding a solar panel to peak the trailer battery when needed... if you have thoughts about the wattage and battery size I will entertain them.. I will not be painting this one.. as it doesn't like to keep paint on.. the material makeup is not paint friendly.. I would like to light my interior also.. but thinking of contact switched lights... any thoughts send them my way..

fysty-1

JP, I have some kind of heavy screen for the floor of my trailer so I welded plates to the underside of the trailer that have nuts welded so I have just run bolts down through the bottom of the box to the welded nuts. As for the lights, if you just use LED you won't have any need for relay etc. The stock lights on your bike will give enough draw on your battery that the trailer will have no effect on your system & they will also operate as they should. Mine has just the standard 4-pole flat plug & they work just fine. see here. http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/gallery_view.php?user=919&folderid=0

Cheers Angela.

Joep

Yeah mine are already set up that way.. but would like some insurance on the towing system.. all lights are Leds on my trailer... just wanting to use aux battery so I could have lights for the inside without bike hooked up and also some power taps for out side lights when camping or off bike/tow vehicle..

Joep

Oops double post don't need to leave this in twice...it is gone now..

fysty-1

Yeah mine are already set up that way.. but would like some insurance on the towing system.. all lights are Leds on my trailer... just wanting to use aux battery so I could have lights for the inside without bike hooked up and also some power taps for out side lights when camping or off bike/tow vehicle..

JP, in that situation I agree. I have lived the RV lifestyle for many years & what you need is a 5th wire that is wired to a deep cycle battery but you will need an isolation link to prevent the battery from draining from the bike. A pair of good deep cycle batteries will keep most RV's alight with the stove, fridge & furnace working for between 8 & 12 hrs if there is a total power failure but if the power is going to be out for more than a day all most RV'ers just hook their vehicle to their RV & let the running engine charge up the batteries(or get a generator). Don't try & get too complicated as this will just cost more money & could lead to a lot of frustration.

Hope this helps Cheers Angela

Joep

Thanks Angela.. I will keep that in mind... used a power splitter to run 2 batteries when I drive a pu/with overhead camper.. it would charge off the alternator and run the camper leaving the truck able to start and run.. all I want is for the lights and the interior of the topper to run off the trailer battery and it be charged from a solar trickle charger.. three relays should do it.. lights, left/right turn/brake,since I am converting 5 wire to 4 wire converter..

Joep

The trailer is naked! ! I pulled the old box of.. had lower cracking near the mounting areas.. Got deck sitting on it now.. not attached... just checking fitment.. pics will follow later today after taking them and resizing fir forum..