plskthompson

What did you do to your wing today?

3,527 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

Finished installing the heated grips on Black Beauty.  Life's good!  I think I'll start installing the trailer hitch this afternoon.   :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon

Indianawantsme

Wondering how our Goldwing feels sitting there neglected while we are riding a Yamaha.  I guess we better not tell it when we get back.

At least i  wore a t-shirt with a pic of my 88 Wing on it today while riding a big loop with the scooter.  Ormoc City to Kalanga to Polompon to Isabel and back to Ormoc.   About 85miles with a few stops. Computer on the scoot says we are getting about 113mpg when i convert it over. I will fill it up sometime and find out how accurate the computer is. Hard to believe it would get that good hauling us around.

Crossed a mountain range today that seemed like the Tail of the Dragon.  Love getting away from Ormoc and all the traffic. Almost worth the Loooonnnng trip getting here halfway around the world.  

Both our butts go numb after a half hour on this thing.  Seat is huge i guess for the big compartment under it that really helps haul stuff with us.  

I feel like i rode 600miles but it was worth every bit of it.   

Internet is frustrating here.  I think this laptop has a weak wi-fi receiver. 

yooperfan

Sunday, I found time to ride to see my mom.  The temp started at 59* and was 66* for the ride home.  I would have gone farther but the wind was enough to make the ride less than fun.  It blew my sun glasses off a few times.  Luckily, I was able to catch them before they blew away.  Total for the day was 60 miles.

Mountain Rider

With temps soaring to a scorching 45*, I brought Black Beauty out of the garage for her first ride of the season.  Leslie and I suited up and did a whopping 45 miles before backing her into the garage so I can install the new front tire and finish the front forks.  Since the weather won't be cooperating this next week, there's no time like the present.  

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Well, the forks may have to wait.  An unforeseen change in the weather, with some 50* days looming, has caused me to install a brand new Bridgestone Excedra Max front tire on Black Beauty.  Life's good, we may be riding this weekend.  :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon::SmileyTooth::jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon

Indianawantsme

Mountain Rider: Have you tried the BT45?  I had one on my 88 and loved it. Not sure if this Wing will like it. 

I had bought 4 of the Exedra Max on sale for $73 each. I really like them for that price.  I get about 8k miles out of them but will be on my last maybe this summer.  

Like them better than the 709. 

EasternSP

My Corbin seat arrived yesterday via UPS. It was on the bike, 2020 DCT within half hour but didn't get out for a test ride for a few hours because I was supposed to be watching my two grand daughters. When the time came though, down the road for the best ride this year yet. Seat is perfect including the heater.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider
(edited)
12 hours ago, Indianawantsme said:

Mountain Rider: Have you tried the BT45?  I had one on my 88 and loved it. Not sure if this Wing will like it. 

I had bought 4 of the Exedra Max on sale for $73 each. I really like them for that price.  I get about 8k miles out of them but will be on my last maybe this summer.  

Like them better than the 709. 

I haven't tried the BT45 yet.  I used the 709 on the front combined with the Pirelli P1 on the rear, and really liked that combo.  I got about 13,000 miles out of the 709, and because of the price, decided to give the Max a try.  I hear a lot of good things about the BT45, but there are a few other things that have made me hesitate, like noise and cupping as they age.  Maybe down the road.  ;)

On a side note, and speaking of good deals, we received our new riding jackets yesterday.  I've liked the looks of the Hi-viz jackets for some time, but it always seems like they are out of the price range.  The GWRRA store had a St. Patty's day sale, and having a decent price on their jackets to start with, I did the deed.  So for the awesome price of $236 including shipping for 2 new Hi-Viz jackets, we got the first new jackets we've had in forever.  

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Andy Cote

I put a BT45 on the front over the winter.  Had original B'stone with 13,500 miles and looked like more.  I had changed the rear to a Driveguard at around 8500.  Just couldn't stand it anymore.  I used the BT45 on my GL1500 previously.

Also added Centramatic wheel balancers. 

So yesterday I had to make a bank run.  I couldn't wait any longer.  We've had four rain storms in a row and it's Daylight Saving Time.  Had to use the Wing.  Well I couldn't be more happy.  What a great ride for many reasons including that smooth new tire.  Yeah baby.  Social distancing happening in the next couple days.

BTW.  New Motoport suit was also awesome.  Fits like it's tailored because it is!!  Warm, flexible, comfortable.  Perfect.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Well, tonight's project was installing new lights in my ring of fire.  One of the LED strips broke, so I pulled both sides and cleaned out the old strips and replaced them with some weather sealed purple LED strips.  I really like the way they look.  I may have to re-do the LED's I have under the rear to match the fronts.  

20200319_233437.jpg

20200319_233523.jpg

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

EasternSP

Placed an order with F4 Customs for a 20" windshield with the recurve.

Mountain Rider

Did about 190 miles worth of "Social Distancing".  

Mountain Rider

I finally got the Kury hitch installed.  Now I can get the trailer picked up and the wiring done.  :D

yooperfan

It looks like I'm slipping over the last 3 weeks.  I posted something on the wrong thread.

I tried to ride to work at the beginning of April for the first time this year.  Nothing happened, dead battery.  I checked it after i got home from work and found a loose battery cable.  Problem solved.  Later that day, Mrs.Y rode with me to Ottawa to run errands and a stop at taco bell.  It wasn't fun eating tacos while standing in the parking lot. 

About a week later, I was able to ride to work finally.  I hope for more nights like that since we are just starting an outage which means more people coming in to work for about a month.

About a week ago, I couldn't pass up a chance to ride to Utica.  It was 79* and sunny, but rain was coming, so I headed for the clouds and then back home with a spirited ride alone, before the rain came.  I got home about 30 minutes before the rain came.

Today, MrsY rode with me to Peru to pick up some meat.  We also stopped at burger king for a quick bite, standing in the parking lot, of course.  i guess I slacked off more than I thought the last 3 weeks.  Since we can't do much else so far this year, I might end up with a lot of (s)miles for the year.

yooperfan

Saturday, lil-Y rode with me so we could go look at an old VW to restore and also to look at a truck that he wants to buy.  I think both were dead ends but we did manage to rack up 115 miles cruising the back roads.

Sunday, Mrs.Y rode with me to check out some garden centers to get flowers for spring planting around the house.  both were curbside pickup only, so we didnt get to go in.  We ended up at a grocery store and hardware store instead.  The wing has just enough room to carry what we bought and not enough room to buy the stuff I didn't want, so the trip was a win win.  Total ride was 50 miles.

DougW

Sold it.

Arthritis makes riding for more than an hour unpleasant on a good day, and the last few rides I have had encounters with inattentive idiots.   I just feel it was time to let her go to a new home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Indianawantsme

Sorry to hear that Doug and Rena.  Hope to see you sometime anyhow. 

After Wing was sitting over 2 months i rode around the back roads here close to home.   Youngest son had started it a couple of weeks ago and let it run... I wasn't crazy about that since i told him to just put the battery tender on it. Not crazy about letting it sit and idle. 

I blew some snot out of it after all the way warmed up.   The 155cc scooter in the Philippines just doesn't  have the power of the Wing but it was fun and way easier to handle.  lol

• Like 2

Monkeytrucker

Sorry about having to throw in the towel Doug.  Sometimes our bodies just do not answer the call of doing what we enjoy.

Steve, glad to see you are back in Indiana.  Be careful, the virus probably stands a bigger chance of getting you there than in the PI.

Steed

Sorry to hear about the trike Doug, but you know you better than anyone else does.  Hope to see you around ...

yooperfan
(edited)

Last Wednesday, lil-Y rode with me again for some truck shopping.  We rode to Ottawa and struck out.  After a quick stop at home before heading the opposite direction, MrsY said she wanted to go too.  I could read between the lines, since I know she hates shopping for cages. It meant lil-Y didn't want to ride anymore, so if she went with us, we would have to take the cage, no more wing time.  Oh well, we still managed 60 miles.  I hope he finds something fast so I don't spend every day off stuck in the cage truck shopping all summer.

Last week on sunday, the camper was rolled out of the garage for the summer, so the wing got it's full garage space back, minus some floor space for misc stuff, instead of being squeezed in with just enough room to get it in and out on the nice days of winter.

Mountain Rider

I discovered a leak from the left fork seal last Saturday, so since I had to replace the seals anyway, I went ahead and replaced the seals, wipers, bushings, slides, and guts in both tubes.  Timing was perfect, so I installed the Progressive Monotubes while I was in there.  Easy job, and done in a day.  The ride is way better.  The only down side was I pulled a wire loose on the ring of fire on the left side, so I have to pull the covers and ix the wire.

yooperfan

MrsY rode with me to a park so we could get out and take a little walk after being mostly stuck at home for almost 6 weeks.  Total ride was 50 miles.

Indianawantsme

Installed new iridium spark plugs. 

Left bank of cyllinders are running leaner than right bank. I wonder if that is why I had to get my ECM flashed to get rid of stumble.  Need to sync the 2 sides  better like the old carb days.  Maybe why Honda went to ONE throttle body on 2018. 

Siphoned 5 gal of old gas out and in between rains filled her up with fresh.  

yooperfan
On 5/17/2020 at 1:07 PM, Indianawantsme said:

Installed new iridium spark plugs. 

Left bank of cyllinders are running leaner than right bank. I wonder if that is why I had to get my ECM flashed to get rid of stumble.  Need to sync the 2 sides  better like the old carb days.  Maybe why Honda went to ONE throttle body on 2018. 

Siphoned 5 gal of old gas out and in between rains filled her up with fresh.  It cleared up a lope at idle. 

Steve,    Did the clean gas clear up the lope, or was it the new plugs?  I synced my '08 a few years ago and cleared up my lope.  Back to the plugs, if you clean and gap your plugs every year, you could treat them like tires and rotate them left to right to even out the wear and maybe extend the life.

yooperfan

I had a good riding weekend and it all included MrsY.   We were going to go camping, but I'm not sure about it yet and we couldn't get reservations where we wanted to stay.

Friday, we rode to Utica and were able to eat out down town for the first time since corona began.  The street was blocked off so the restaurants could set up tables in the street.  Total for the day was 80 miles.

Saturday, we rode to the Kankakee state park, just to ride thru it.  We took the scenic routes all the way for a total of 80 miles.

Sunday, we rode to Shorewood to Target, all on low traffic county roads, making it easier to go slower then normal for a total of 65 miles.

Having MrsY on the wing is a sure way to increase my MPG.  my normal of about 38 jumped to 45.