plskthompson

What did you do to your wing today?

3,469 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

Woohoo!!!!  Two days in a row, sunny and temps in the 50's.  Black Beauty and I are on the road.  :SmileyTooth:

Ghost Rider 2

You are lucky.  Our temps have been OK.  But we got a little snow a few days ago and the state and county went crazy spreading salt.  Our roads are white. I used to ride my 02 if salt was not to bad and wash it off when I got home.  But I not going to ride my 14 on crappy roads. 

• Like 1

yooperfan
(edited)

MrsY has been wanting at least one more ride for the season and sunday was on the edge of being warm enough for her to want to go, so we put on the layers and headed out.  I took the back roads and kept the speed at 45MPH to keep the cold breeze to a minimum on our way to Utica.  She kept telling me to bump it up a bit because the trip was taking too long, so I upped it to 50, 55, and then 60.  Surprisingly, she choose the big road for the ride home, at 65, but after being passed by all the semis, she said to crank it up closer to 80, which is actually about 75 after the correction factor.  That was a first.  As the sun was setting behind us, the temp was dropping, from 55* down to 45*.   The ride ended after 80 miles.   I think her season might be done, but mine isnt.

I rode to work monday night and found the parking lot that leads to the m/c parking area was closed for the winter to eliminate plowing and salting in that lot.  There's a side entrance to get to the m/c parking, but after seeing that salt has been spread, riding to work may be done, or it will be soon.  The temp at 6 AM was 29* for the ride home.

Today, my co-worker called and asked if I wanted to ride.  It was a late start but that didn't stop me.  I only got a little lost trying to find where she was.  It was getting dark again for the ride home (darn daylight savings time).  The temp dropped from 56* to 44*  and the ride ended after 75 miles.

My mileage count is down for the year, so I would like to keep adding the miles.  Well, I would want to keep adding miles even if I was having a high mileage year.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mountain Rider

Put the floor boards back on last night and returned the handle bars to the correct position for the risers I've got.  Learned an important lesson, when you work on your own stuff, check your work before you ride.  :puzzled-smiley-emoticon:

Went for a short ride to the gun store this morning with a friend.  All went well, right up to the point I tried to put the side stand down.  Yep, pinched it between the floor board and the frame.  After getting my friend to hold the bike, and doing an extra special dismount which would leave even a newbie rider rolling on the ground in disbelief, I got the tools out and loosened the mounting bolts enough to free the kick stand.  Then had to put it all back together.  I also noticed a large gouge in the padded trim around the fork tunnels.  Contrary to what some will tell you, reversing the right and left side MBL risers is not a good idea.  It spreads the bars to far apart, and the small clip that holds cables under the left bar proceeded to cut the trim with every left to right swing of the bars.  Forest Gump, I'm there with ya buddy.  Beyond that, it was a beautiful day and an awesome ride, and probably the last for me this year.  She goes in the garage this weekend and I go in for surgery on my left shoulder on Tuesday.  :sad-face:

OnaWingandaPrayer

...."a set of OEM foot pegs in place of the Floor boards and heel/toe shifter.  I think I like it.".....

pegs didn't work out so well ?  

Mountain Rider

They were alright, but I was dragging my boots in the tight turns. Maybe mini boards?  I'll find the sweet spot one day. :confused-face-smiley-emoticon:

• Like 1

Indianawantsme

45F cloudy and loose rock on some roads today since we had 2inches of snow the other day.  Still some in yards yet. 

New Frogg Toggs jacket for over the top of my heated jacket so i didn't need much of an excuse to ride to try it out.  Went to a bank 15 miles away to cash a check.  Only bike out except for one scooter plugging along.  

Heated seat is the trick to keep warm. Adds that final warm and fuzzy feeling. 

Stopped at my son's to drop some pants off that shrunk. :puzzled-still:  

And drove a few more miles for the heck of it. Went down to 43F by then.

Had installed a digital voltmeter last week so i watched it a little.  Not sure green will show up that well when it is sunny but reviews said it is supposed to. 

Monkeytrucker

Our 4+ inches of snow went from snow directly to mud.  Even the antique Honda ES-250 is leaving tracks.  We set some new low temps by as much as 5 degrees.  The weather prognosticators are predicting a more snow and lower temps winter. 

Something we have not seen this late in the year for a while.  Crops still in the fields.  This snow and now mud will put some farmers still trying to get into their fields at Thanksgiving.  Years ago if they could not get their corn harvested before the stalks collapsed they would simply turn their cattle into the fields and let them fatten up.  Cannot do that now as the only fences you see are along the interstates or dog fences in peoples yards. 

yooperfan
On 11/9/2019 at 11:16 AM, Mountain Rider said:

They were alright, but I was dragging my boots in the tight turns. Maybe mini boards?  I'll find the sweet spot one day. :confused-face-smiley-emoticon:

Try running a higher PSI in the suspension to raise the wing a little.  That might give you a bit more clearance.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Part of the issue is I'm running with a lowering kit on her which dropped the bike about 3/4".  I love the way it rides, handling, and the fact that I can now stop and start with both feet flat on the ground, is wonderful.  In that condition, the pegs being a little closer to the ground, I found the front outer edge of my boot sole was catching the pavement a bit more than even I was comfortable with.  The upside with the boards, is they set just a little higher, and my boots rest above them, so no dragging the boots or catching them between the shifter and the ground.  It's a catch 22 as I did like the feel and positioning of my feet with the pegs, and shifting was a tad smoother, but potentially catching my foot between the ground and the shifter is not something I want to have happen.  I'm good for now, as I was fine with the boards and heel/toe before, but you know how we are, there's always something better we haven't found just yet. :wink-sm:

Mountain Rider

Bought a hitch and a trailer!  Next year we camp.  :SmileyTooth:

• Like 2

OnaWingandaPrayer

Enjoy the travels and camping.  If I ever convince the wife to ride long distance I can guarantee all camping will be at Holiday Inn Express or the like .

• Like 1
  • Yay 1

yooperfan

After the rain a few days ago, I figured the roads and especially the parking lots at work, would be free of any salt, so I rode to work last night and tonight.  The ride home was 35* this morning and should be about 33* tomorrow morning.  I haven't given up on riding for the year, but my days are limited.  

• Like 2

Indianawantsme

Went shopping with Wing yesterday for antifreeze and canned goods. Very nice 63F. 

Side bags had about 15-18# in each.  Hitch rack container had 35#.

130pc tool kit in back seat. Forgot to weigh it.  

When I had it.  OEM rear spring could not handle over 24# on hitch rack set all the way up to 25 or else not enough weight on front. 

A little over a year old Progressive rear spring with 10k miles on it was set to 2 and handled great.  

Rain and really bad winds last night and even worse winds today. 

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker
On 11/27/2019 at 9:37 AM, Indianawantsme said:

Went shopping with Wing yesterday for antifreeze and canned goods. Very nice 63F. 

Side bags had about 15-18# in each.  Hitch rack container had 35#.

130pc tool kit in back seat. Forgot to weigh it.  

When I had it.  OEM rear spring could not handle over 24# on hitch rack set all the way up to 25 or else not enough weight on front. 

A little over a year old Progressive rear spring with 10k miles on it was set to 2 and handled great.  

Rain and really bad winds last night and even worse winds today. 

You are definitely right about the winds.  We had a very tall tree go down.  Today we suffered with 2+" of rain.

You need a small enclosed trailer like I made to haul my power chair.  We used it to go shopping with the 1800 and now with the Fiat.  We used it to go get some tomato plants about 4 years ago and on the way home Estella saw Rural King had a sale on potting soil and top soil.  So she wanted to get 10 bags of each. They were listed as 40 lb bags but were laying in a low spot of the parking lot sitting the water from the big rain the day before.  The guy loading them into that trailer almost could not lift them as they were so saturated.  We guessed we had around 1,200 lbs in that trailer.  The 1800 did not even seem to notice it.  With the Aspen camper we were pulling 600 lbs.  With the 2 of us on the bike, the Aspen loaded for camping we scaled 2100 lbs at the gravel sales scales.  The same combination with the Fiat 500 in place of the 1800 scales 2,960.  Of course the 1800 had a bigger engine, by 400 cc, and both of them do/did average 36 mpg with the trailer on behind.

yooperfan

It's time to play catch up again.  Wednesday, my coworker rode to my house and from there, we rode to Wilmington for lunch.  We parted ways on the way back to Morris and I stopped at Napa to pick up brakes for MrsY's cage.  The temp was around 47* and the day ended after 45 miles.

I rode to work Thurs and tonight.  It's been above freezing for the ride home during the last month, but tonight be a different story.  

My coworker and I have been talking about maybe one last ride for the year on Monday when the temps will be near 50*, but only if the rain stops and the roads dry out after noon.  Winter will blast it's way in on Tues with temps in the teens.

Indianawantsme

Left Saturday morning at 9:30am @34F  and sunny all day for Toys for Tikes ride to give away checks and toys to various places.  14 bikes showed up this year and i was the only Goldwing.      I think it got up to 52F. 

Done with that at 1:30pm and rode to wife's  Filipino Christmas party. Wife was there with her car already.  Left at 8pm with temperature down to 33F on the backroads but heated seats and jacket made it a nice ride anyhow.  People just are expecting a motorcycle when it is cold out.   They don't realize we have heated comforts.   Guy at gas station asked me if it was cold out to be riding and i told him not with my heated seat and jacket and foot warmer vents.   

yooperfan

After riding to work on thurs, i set off the explosives monitor and needed a pat down search.  The guy patting me down asked why I was sweaty.  I said that just because it's cold outside doesn't mean I'm cold when I ride.

Mountain Rider

Rain, snow, and cold!  I opened the door to the garage, looked at my bike, and closed the door.  I really need to get a heater in there.  :BigFatCry: