plskthompson

What did you do to your wing today?

3,457 posts in this topic Last Reply

Ghost Rider 2

Dave you are living the dream that most of us in midwest and east coast just dream that some day we will get to ride where you have been in last couple weeks,   Enjoy your trip!!  Ride safe.,

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

The ride and the sights have been amazing, but meeting some of our members has been awesome. I met Jluvs2dive in Washington, and this evening Leslie and I had dinner with terryj and his lovely bride. I swear they yanked some huge T-bones out of an unsuspecting cow, they were huge!  Terry, you guys are amazing!  

As far as today's ride, I don't know how you can best this. We rode from Bend to Crater Lake. Beautiful area, and the view of the lake is a once in a lifetime experience that you'll never forget. Rode from there to Medford, where we met up with Terry. We'll spend the night here and head toward home tomorrow. 

20190904_143859.jpg

20190904_143907.jpg

20190904_151154.jpg

20190904_151340.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

terryj

Dave, It was great to have you and Leslie over for dinner, it's always nice to be able to meet those we converse with on line. We are hoping that next summer Teresa and I will be able to take a ride through Idaho, we'll have to look you up when we do. How did you like the thunderstorm last night, it kept me up. Ride safe

yooperfan

I've had a busy 2 days.  Yesterday, I rode to Plainfield to meet MrsY for dinner.  That was a 60 mile ride.

Today, I rode to Peru to meet with Ghost Rider II for lunch and then to Stone Head in Utica.  That was a 100 mile ride.

After I got home, I replaced the burned out headlight the GR II reminded me was out.

Later, I rode to Braidwood for a union meeting/dinner.  I guess having 2 lights up front is bright since 2 oncoming cars flashed their high beams at me, as if mine were on..  That ride was 40 miles.

I need more days off like these 2 days have been.

• Like 1

terryj

I'm not one for adding a bunch of chrome to my bike, but I finally installed some rotor covers with the ring of fire lights. I had a set on my GL 1500, when I bought the 1800 I didn't install much chrome at all, just did a few accents. I must say they look pretty darn good. 

• Like 1

yooperfan

Yesterday, MrsY called and said she needed me to bring something to her at work.  Since it was nice out, she didn't have to ask twice.  We had lunch before I headed home, the long way of course.  Total trip was 50 miles.

Last night, she was itching for a ride, so we rode past the local DQ on our way to one 20 miles away.  We took the scenic route to get there and an even more scenic route that she had not seen before on the way home.  Total ride was 40 miles.

yooperfan

It's time to play catch up.  Wednesday, MrsY and I rode to town for corn fest for dinner.  Taking the wing makes for easy parking.  I've had the same parking spot for years.  Total ride was only 5 miles, but any ride is a good ride.

Thursday, I rode to work for training.  That ride was 45 miles.  After I got home, I changed and headed out again to meet my co-worker.  we found some scenic roads, a covered bridge, and a mostly abandoned interstate highway.  Total ride was 165 miles.  I got home in time for MrsY to jump on so we could ride to town for more corn fest food.  That was another 5 miles for a grand total of 215 miles for the day.

Indianawantsme

Wife and i went on a benefit poker run today and about 136 miles.  Grated bridge was okay but the wooden deck bridge with a track for cars with a board missing in one of the tracks almost put me down.  I ended up in the middle between the tracks and that felt spongy on those crossways boards. I was all over the place trying to get the Wing to settle down. People behind me said as soon as i hit the missing board they thought i was done.  

Not sure how many times i have been across that bridge and never had that bad of a time.  

93F today and still pretty warm at 9pm tonight.  Still no rain and a fire ban until we get some relief. 

Mountain Rider

The last couple days have seen a few changes on Black Beauty.  She now has a new, LowWing 3/4" lowering kit installed, factory brake pads all the way around, and a set of OEM foot pegs in place of the Floor boards and heel/toe shifter.  I think I like it.  It's about time for new tires, so shopping is about to begin.  

Ghost Rider 2

Normally best deal on tires car be found at American Motorcycle Tires.  Glad to see you decided to go with factory pads.  You will be happy with the choice.  They last for a very long time and do not spread dust as bad as others.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Jerry, you are so correct.  The pads I removed were horrible at coating the wheels, and since I've replaced them all with factory pads and bled the system again, I've had no sign of the brake shudder I was experiencing.  Did about a 360 mile ride yesterday, from Rigby to Twin Falls, and had lunch with a member from another forum.  Great ride, other than being a bit chilly.  Besides the brakes, I also installed a lowering kit and must say I'm very pleased with the results.  With the center of gravity being lower, wind was less of an issue than in the past, handling was great, and parking lots are no longer an issue.  I can actually walk the bike back rather than having to use reverse all the time.  I also pulled the floor boards and installed a set of OEM pegs.  I was surprised, I was as comfortable as with the boards, and shifting, stopping, and starting seemed smoother and easier as well.  I think I'll stick with these for now.  

yooperfan

Yesterday, I rode to the store to buy oil for the wing only to find that i forgot my wallet.  I rode home and back to the store with my wallet and then back home again with the oil.  I was so sad that I had to double my 3 mile trip to 6 miles total for the day.

Today, lil-Y helped me in the garage with the wing.  It was a little early for the end of season maintenance, but with an outage at work, overtime is overwhelming right now and good help is hard to come by.  Since our days off lined up, we spent a few hours on 3 vehicles.  We cleaned and gapped the plugs, changed the rear end grease and replaced the fill plug cap since the old one was rounded on the head last year.  We also changed the oil and filter.  I recently found the wing oil filter wrench that I got for father's day a couple of years ago but couldn't find when I needed it last year.  I like it because it has the wrench on the other end that fits the drain plug and rear end fill and drain plugs.  It also fits the rear end fill plug on my atv (also a Honda, of course).  Too bad it doesn't fit the wing oil filter.  The filter is just a hair too big.  I still managed to change the filter without removing the plastic thanks to a strong grip and a large pair of channel lock pliers.  I also checked the rear tire wear.  It's an even 6/32 all the way across and 7/32 on the shoulders.  The front has an odd wear pattern but seems to still have tread left on it.

Indianawantsme

New front tire for upcoming trip to Niagara Falls if weather is good. 

3rd Exedra Max and I don't remember the others making the steering feel heavy when new. 

That should change after the sides do their normal wearing more than the center. 

Mountain Rider

Took a nice little 200 mile ride checking out the scenery and the Fall colors.

P1010014 (1).JPG

P1010030 (1).JPG

P1010025 (1).JPG

P1010044 (1).JPG

Indianawantsme

Parked in Niagara Falls State Park and walked to the attractions. 

Mountain Rider

We braved the 37* morning temps and joined some friends for a short ride up to the snow at Ponds Lodge for lunch.  It was a little brisk, but lunch was good as always, the conversation was great, and we got one last 120 mile ride in the books.  I don't know how much longer the weather is going to cooperate, but we'll take whatever we get.  

Mountain Rider

25 miles yesterday, it was 56* and sunny. Today I put the cover on her, 37 and snow. I don't know, we may get another ride or two, but here soon she goes in the garage for Winter maintenance and upgrades. 

• Like 1

OnaWingandaPrayer

Winter upgrades? I just have to do them when I have time . Not much winter here . Come on down and ride year round.

• Like 2

rcameron
On 10/27/2019 at 5:50 PM, OnaWingandaPrayer said:

Winter upgrades? I just have to do them when I have time . Not much winter here . Come on down and ride year round.

How's the new-to-you bike, Mike?

yooperfan

Time to play catch up.  Last week, I cleaned the wing.  The bugs were hiding the front end.  

Today, lil-Y and i cleaned out the garage to make room for the camper and still have room for the wing.  I kept the wing up front this year so I can access it easily, unlike last year when I put it behind the camper.  It took some effort to wiggle the wing out of hiding for a ride.  Even though there has been an early snow, I doubt that my riding season is done.

OnaWingandaPrayer

Rex, it is resting under cover. So many projects I havent got it out yet.      Sad , I know :( . I think I rode about 5 miles the day we made the deal and maybe mile at home. I have so much to do . Should I retire? 

rcameron
49 minutes ago, OnaWingandaPrayer said:

Rex, it is resting under cover. So many projects I havent got it out yet.      Sad , I know :( . I think I rode about 5 miles the day we made the deal and maybe mile at home. I have so much to do . Should I retire? 

Well............ It is a pretty cool club.... this here retirement..... We will be there soon so get ready to get that puppy out......  Lol....

Hope the Rhino Parking lot is open for business......... wink, wink.....

OnaWingandaPrayer

Parking lot open . Should have the 07 out and going by then .  Thanksgiving weekend ?

• Like 1

rcameron
18 hours ago, OnaWingandaPrayer said:

Parking lot open . Should have the 07 out and going by then .  Thanksgiving weekend ?

Wooo Whooo! Actually we should be down there sometime this coming weekend!

Will be talking to you. 

OnaWingandaPrayer
(edited)

Well alrighty then . See ya sooner , rather then later !

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Like 1