plskthompson

What did you do to your wing today?

3,469 posts in this topic Last Reply

Rampal1955

Finally finished required maintenance. Took out for a test ride and discovered the left side of the trike is sitting lower than the right. Back to square one. Any ideas? It is a champion trike if that helps. 1999 GL1500A.

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Made Black Beauty a little more black.  The front lower cowl was so dinged and scratched that it needed a redo of some kind.  I figured as long as I had the cowl off, why not pull the exhaust covers too.  After a little cleaning and sanding, I threw a coat of bed liner on them.  Much improved appearance, I'm pleased!  

20190321_135528.jpg

20190321_135613.jpg

20190321_144229.jpg

20190321_144248.jpg

20190321_104544.jpg

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Like 2

RogueWing936

Looks good!!!

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Thanks, I kinda like it too.  I also learned how to turn my headlight modulator on and off.  I feel so smart now.  :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

• Like 1

yooperfan

I forgot to add that when I was cleaning the wing tuesday, I noticed the right rear crash bar was loose.  I removed a couple of pieces of plastic to access it and found the forward bolt was loose.  It's not loose anymore and it's all back together.  This weekend is looking good for riding weather, I just hope overtime doesn't get in the way.

• Like 1

NC Aspenwing

Might get to ride today

• Like 1

RogueWing936

Wife and I out for a ride 

NC Aspenwing

Finally got to ride, We rode to eat at our favorite seafood place 55 miles away.

Felt good to get out In the wind again.

• Like 1

Indianawantsme

Got interrupted working on the Wing and had to work on my '02 Civic on Friday.  I was getting parts for the Wing on Thursday and was 100 miles from home and brake line went.  75mph on Interstate and traffic stopped for road construction way up the road.  Good thing it is a fairly light car with a manual shift and parking brake helped.  Stop and go  for miles with nowhere to pull over. Wrecker would have taken forever to get to me.

I made it carefully home even through Louisville.  I have never gotten 42mpg on the Interstate before with that car.  lol

Finished up the Wing on Saturday. I changed antifreeze, timing cover gasket, clutch fluid after installing speed bleeder. I have MightyVac also but wanted to try a speed bleeder.   ALWAYS an air bubble in the union by master cylinder if you have to empty it.  I think i got the air out by keeping lever in overnight.  Better than it was when i test drove it a whole 5miles Sat. night.    

Since all that was off--------  Also the belly pan that was on the bike when i got it didn't have it so you could just loosen those 4 acorn nuts and slide it off and on so i fixed that with some tin snips.  That is a stupid design having the coolant tank hanging so far down.  I had never seen it in 3 years that i had this Wing. 

28k on it and not sure how long i can wait to check the driveshaft splines.  I greased them every rear tire change on 88 at about 15-16k but looked like it could go longer.

Mountain Rider

Installed a set of MBL risers on my handle bars this evening.  Wow, what a difference!  These set the bars up about 3/4", back about 1 1/2", and closed them up about 2 1/4".  I can actually set back in the seat and bend my arms without stretching.  I can hardly wait to take her out for a long ride.  

Indianawantsme

Sounds like you have the  Standard ones.  If you find they are too narrow like i did,  you can loosen the bolts(4) and hold them out while you retighten.  2 bolts at a time if you know what i mean.  Enough slop in the holes to move a little.      Forgot how much it changes the measurement but i have it written down, but any little bit makes a difference. With them all the way inward it felt like i lost a lot of leverage to control the front wheel.  Hands and wrists were angled in too much also.  

I had the Wide ones that keep original distance but didn't like them totally. Back still hurt.  Before i bought the Standard,    I didn't think to try and move the Wide inward and retighten.      

Mountain Rider

Yeah, they do feel different, but I'm going to play with them a bit.  They are definitely more comfortable, and with them being closer, I may put my Utopia seat rest back on. 

yooperfan

Time to play catch up.  Friday, I rolled the wing out and aired up the tires and checked the oil before riding the first few miles of the year to run an errand.

Saturday, I met a fellow winger (Corky), from another site that I had met 2 years ago during my UP ride.  We rode from Morris to Utica to meet with Mike and Jerry at Stonehead before going to eat.  After we all had a lengthy lunch, Corky and I rode to Starved Rock and Buffalo Rock state parks.  After a couple of stops in Ottawa, we rode to Yorkville for dessert before going our seperate ways home.  It was a great start to the new riding season and I look forward to more.  Total ride was 115 miles.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Installed the new handlebar end weights, tomorrow I should have the stubby antenna and a switch to replace the broken emergency flasher switch ready to install.  

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Emergency flashers fixed!  One Radio Shack rocker switch, one $3.50 flasher, an inline fuse, a little wire, and a few connectors, we're in business.    :thumbs-up:

20190331_193545.jpg

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mountain Rider

Put the new cover on her and watch it rain.  :BigFatCry:

Mountain Rider
(edited)

I pulled the right side switch group apart and flushed it out really good with contact cleaner, the put her back together.  Then installed the new phone mount.  

20190404_145515.jpg

NC Aspenwing

Changed the oil and started getting some of last years dirt off of It.

Planning on a ride to Salem, Va. this weekend to see some friends.

yooperfan

I checked the air pressure in the double dark tires.  Both were 5 PSI under the recommended sticker amounts, so I aired them up.  I also checked the tread depth to look for uneven wear.  Everything measured fairly even all the way across.   I'm gonna consider lowering the PSI back down a little next year to put a bit more outer edge rubber on the road, since the even tire wear included time spent with the tires running low recently.  It's an ongoing experiment.

I think I typed that around March 20, but it must not have sent.  It popped up on the screen randomly, so I'm sending it now.

yooperfan

What I typed saturday didn't post either, so I'll retype it.

I met my co-worker and we rode to Leonore for lunch and then towards Streator, and to Pontiac, where we picked up Rt.66 to head to Wilmington and then to Morris, where we parted ways.  Total ride was 115 miles.

RogueWing936

We rode these this past Friday...

yooperfan

While looking for a cage headlight in the garage, I found the oil filter wrench I got for father's day, 2 years ago.  It's still sealed in the package.  I have been looking for it in that same area before, because I knew that's where it was, but didn't see it.  Bare hands or channel locks have been working since I found out removing the plastic isn't required, but now I won't need to worry about my hands slipping.

yooperfan

I started my riding season a few weks ago, but monday I became the first to start riding to work.  The temp was fine riding in at 5pm, but the weatherman lied for the 6 am ride home.  It was supposed to be low 50s, but it was actually low 40s, so it was a little brisk, but still ok.  I've ridden home with temps in the low 20s before.  It's all about the layers.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

David, I am so envious!  I got a couple days in, then poop.....rain.  :BigFatCry:  We're hoping the weather clears in about a week so we can make a bit lengthier rides happen.  

yooperfan

It will happen eventually.