plskthompson

What did you do to your wing today?

3,460 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

Black Beauty got her first oil change, Mobil 1 10/30, and a fine new Wix oil filter.  Based on the oil that came out, I'll probably do another in a few weeks to insure she's clean inside.  Did a fluid exchange on the front and rear brakes as well.  Inspected the brake pads, and although they have a little life left, decided to replace them, so new pads on order and should be here in a few days.  Next up, is getting a new front tire coming.  The Michelin Pilot is showing some cupping, so I'll get it done in the next few days. 

• Like 1

OnaWingandaPrayer

You will be ready for the riding season after these few minor pit stops.

AZgl1800

throw in about 4 oz of Sea Foam and ride that 100 miles, then drain the oil

that will take care of anything that is left over from the PO's inattention to oil changes.

Dusty Boots

I took my XCT over to Inglis Cycle Center in London today to get the EFI calibrated after installing the Victory Performance air filter element in my bike from the Cobra Tri Oval Stage 1 Kit I picked up earlier.

31543440_10156445487060555_3073694990354

Once that was done, I noticed increased throttle response, better 'drivability' and an increase in fuel mileage.
I was a little concerned with the increased gas mileage, thinking it might still be running somewhat lean.

Before I rode the bike with the Performance filter installed, I pulled the plugs to check their colour. 
All photos show the front cylinder plug on the left and the rear on the right!

41771179492_4bc8e85a5a_b.jpg

I then pulled the plugs again after I installed the performance air filter and went out for a good run, to get a 'base line' reading on the plugs. 
As you can see, the rear cylinder was running rather leanish. 

40914656875_037f9ea8a4_b.jpg

40914908955_8b60815d7f_b.jpg

After I got the EFI calibrated, I went for a bit of a run (224 km) and thought I'd pull the plugs to get another reading, seeing as my gas mileage increased by a solid 4 mpg. I thought it might still be running lean, but the colour of both plugs looked pretty good to me.

40005823840_35e0a2a001_b.jpg

40005824050_833b4c2238_b.jpg

40005823520_92f282c99b_b.jpg

The bike's computer reported an overall average of 58.1 mpg (Imp)
When I returned to the same gas station later to fill back up, it took 11.326 L to fill up.
I had rode a total of 224 km on that tank so it works out to an actual ....
55.624 mpg (Imp) / 46.724 mpg (US) / 5.078 L/100 km.
Not too shabby! 👍

Dusty

• Like 1

Halfling

Wife came home a little earlier than normal so I had the trike ready to go! We left at 5:00 and put on a wonderful 80 miles out in the Middle TN farm country! Stopped at a favorite Mexican place for a light dinner and just now got home. Temp when we left was 79* and now it's 72*. Awesome!!!

P.S. and for those that were wondering, YES, the rear red lenses are still on!!!

• Like 1

yooperfan

Yesterday, my coworker met me in town and we we headed to Kankakee using the scenic loop.   Along the way, we stopped for lunch, then the ride continued to the Kankakee State Park, for a little break and checking out the water.  The scenic loop includes Rt 102 and Rt 113.  It was a bit of a short ride, only 105 miles for me, with a lot of sun and wind.

Before I left, I checked the tread depth and wear patterns of both tires.  I was happy to see a lot of tread remaining and even wear, meaning the reccomended tire pressures are working well for my needs.

I also did a quick check on the clutch lever to try something new to fix the cruise control.  It gave me an idea that I checked after the ride ended.  I unplugged the clutch activated cruise switch and then the cruise worked perfectly.  I could leave it like that, but I still wanted to diagnose the real problem through trial and error.  I already plan to replace the clutch lever, but not until I find out what part of it is bad, which I think I did.  I noticed a wear mark where the CC button rubs on the lever tab.  I filed the tab down a little and quickly found that trial to be a major error, since the cruise wouldn't come on at all after that.  The tab was already worn down too much, causing a gap.  the button needs constant pressure to keep the CC on.  I wrapped electrical tape around the tab to build it back up, and the CC works again, except for major bumps in the road.  Before all this, even a small bump was enough to knock off the CC.  The tape will be enough until I get a new lever, and a new brass plug.  The brass sleeve is the initial culprit for the wobbly lever, which causes the CC to quit, and the brass plug is worn also.  Let the shopping continue, now that I know for sure what I need.

AZgl1800

the bronze bushing is the first thing that wears out, and causes the CC to disengage.

The price for it is very low, just replace it and be done with that part of the troubleshooting process.

Indianawantsme

I ordered the bushing,boot and rod kit a while back for $12.36 but they are sold out. I found these for $13.89.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clutch-Master-Cylinder-Pushrod-Bushing-Set-for-most-Honda-motorcycles/292240611145?epid=672197713&hash=item440ae5d749:g:-g8AAOSw8~VZhnQQ:sc:USPSFirstClass!47580!US!-1&vxp=mtr

Rode 200 miles today in this heat to eat at Litchfield,KY

Dusty Boots

Pulled the Ole Girl out of hibernation and fired her up for the 1st time since putting her away in early Oct.

I rode her around and into the Shop, where I'll be changing out the car tire and installing a good used Dunlop E3 back in it's place, clean her up a bit and then sell her so someone else can enjoy her!

224472451_IMG_2062-1.thumb.jpg.ec49dcd1f72d7ba865cc43904b5cee3d.jpg

Dusty

• Like 1

Halfling
44 minutes ago, Dusty Boots said:

then sell her so someone else can enjoy her!

That right there will be a SAD day for a lot of us!!!

Monkeytrucker

He does have to get the wing out of the trailer.  He will need the trailer to go pick up the pieces of his new ride.  I do have a magnetic bar he can use to get all of the tiny bits picked up.

Sorry Ken, you made it too easy.  You need to keep the old girl so you will not get caught without a ride.  Someone says HI.  Guess who?

laugh lol GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Dusty Boots

Hi Estella!  -  Just ignore that man behind the curtain!  :SILENT:

Not to slight the Ole Girl, but when I got on her to ride her around the trailer and the front of  my property, into the Shop, I couldn't believe how cramped I felt on it!! :startle:

Yes Gary, I may have to use loctite on more nuts n bolts on the Vic, but the Vic has WAY more room for me to stretch out on and has proven to be a great ride so far!!

Getting 55.624 mpg (Imp) / 46.724 mpg (US) / 5.078 L/100 km at/slightly above posted speed limits around here (55-65 mph) ain't too shabby either.

I would average 35-38 mpg (US) with my wing.

Mountain Rider

Installed the new rear car tire, yeah boys and girls, we're DARKSIDEN now.  :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon:

• Like 1

yooperfan

Tuesday, I met my co-worker for another ride.  We took the backroads and rode in circles trying to find the elusive town of Leonore. We found it and stopped in at the local watering hole to check the menu for future RTEs.   I saw a sign by the door when leaving:    We don't have a town drunk.  Our town is so small, we take turns.

I think we dealt with a cross wind or head wind 75% of the day.  After racking up another 140 miles, my summer tan is officially here.

yooperfan
On 5/1/2018 at 12:09 PM, AZgl1800 said:

the bronze bushing is the first thing that wears out, and causes the CC to disengage.

The price for it is very low, just replace it and be done with that part of the troubleshooting process.

The clutch lever has a lot of play in it, not just from the worn out brass plug, but also from the brass sleeve that unfortunately is pressed in and not sold separately, so I plan to replace both, along with the rubber boot.  So far, I've found those 3 parts plus a trim piece, and I'm going to look at a couple of other small bits that are missing.  I'll send out an order to Cyclemax after I'm done checking what all I need/ want.  So far, I'm up to almost $61, including shipping.

Mountain Rider

The new brake pads and front tire arrived, so Leslie dropped them off at work. Looks like I'm changing a tire and brakes tonight. I'm getting the impression she wants to go for a ride this weekend. :confused-face-smiley-emoticon:

Monkeytrucker
(edited)
On 5/2/2018 at 9:39 PM, Dusty Boots said:

Yes Gary, I may have to use loctite on more nuts n bolts on the Vic, but the Vic has WAY more room for me to stretch out on and has proven to be a great ride so far!!

Be careful stretching out.  You might fall asleep and fall over.  Just make sure your side stand is down before you sleep on it.  The Boss is looking forward to seeing you again.  She is cracking the whip on me since I got out of the hospital yesterday.  Will not let me do much.  She is going to be gone for a few hours Saturday so I think I will sneak down to the shop and do an A/C system evacuation and recharge.  A return a favor job.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mountain Rider

Yep, it happened, new brake pads and a new front tire.  I'm double dark siden and can stop at the same time.  :thumbs-up:

Next up, resetting the torque on the head bearings.  Black Beauty is stable at hiway speed, but still has a wobble at slow speed.  With two hands, or even one hand on the handle bars, she's pretty polite. 

Triwing

If you have not converted the stock steering head ball bearings set up, to roller bearings, the time is now. Get on it now, B4 riding season gets here, or not your choice.

Dusty Boots
(edited)

In the process of changing out the front tire to a new Avon Cobra.

98865339_IMG_2118-1.thumb.jpg.fa5aa0879e2baf08fa553cd29512d275.jpg

1012079169_IMG_2119-1.thumb.jpg.19c1042743ddfd617f82807e376ada16.jpg

1198206835_IMG_2120-1.thumb.jpg.955bd33aa0af0814ee35fcd3cad92602.jpg

1531431408_IMG_2122-1.thumb.jpg.44208604c031479ac1f3add3523e7cb7.jpg

I am letting the new tire warm up more in the sunshine so it will be more pliable and therefore easier to install.  ....

1518852968_IMG_2117-1.thumb.jpg.d06ca0f630cbfddcaf4f2cd304f0a3c8.jpg

I'll add 2 ozs of beads to it before I air it up, then will change out the front brake pads to some EBC HH pads so I'll know what I have there for brakes.

I jockeyed the bikes around in the shop, so I can change out the rear car tire on the Ole Girl to a good used Dunlop E3 before I put her up for sale.

261533207_IMG_2116-1.thumb.jpg.52cc2fcf0a54c12d4f17eede5cf3b025.jpg

Dusty

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mountain Rider

Yesterday, Leslie and I loaded up on Black Beauty and headed South to Lava Hot Springs. Had a quiet lunch, then drove toward Soda Springs. The wind really picked up, so we headed for home. Since the oil had been so crudy on that first oil change, and since everything was warm, I went ahead and changed it again. Castrol 10/40 this time with a Wix filter. As long as I was at it, I changed the final drive oil as well. 

210 more on the clock. 

Tonight she gets a bath. :SmileyTooth:

brianinpa

Cleaned the windshield and rode it to work.  The single carb and C5 is firing right up and running smooth, so hopefully this weekend I can spend some time in the seat and run a few tanks through it and get a good idea of how the bike likes the open road.

AZgl1800

Got the water tank out of the shop, filled it with 50 gallons of water, and poured in a half gallon of 2-4D amine weed killer.

Used the golf cart and trailer to go around the six acres spraying fence lines, and around the trunks of the trees.

Then both sides of the county road to keep the grass from crumbling the asphalt edges, and both sides of my driveway which is 300 feet long and asphalt also.

Triwing

What did you do after lunch?  Sounds like way too much fun, better you than me.

Maybe you can go play tomorrow.  Sorry; Can't help it misery loves company!!! 

Dusty Boots
(edited)

After our M&G tonight, I semi-prepped the Vic for changing out the rear tire for a new Yokohama 195/55RF-16 run flat. I already installed an Avon Cobra 130/70-18 up front

I removed the saddlebags and top box and placed a scissor jack under it.

Will probably change out the rear brake pads as well.

54396707_NewTiresfortheVic.thumb.jpg.cbae43ad7a03165b1a0e0ce5ca39c2ee.jpg

931921490_IMG_2143-1.thumb.jpg.27ea3ad86e613fba25eedc68a4e1d08f.jpg

Dusty