plskthompson

What did you do to your wing today?

3,458 posts in this topic Last Reply

scraper

I have finally gotten all the bit back on from changing the stator and rect. Polished everything as it went on looks pretty. Changed the oil. And went for a ride. It feels funny after notriding since oct. I use to ride every day on the old bike. First time in a loong time to not be on a bike. It looks a little better for this week no snow with 40 most of the week.   

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Mine is going up on the live table today.  Just do not have the cahonies anymore to ride it up onto the table so I am just going to pick it up with the gantry and set it over onto the table.  Then the cleaning and service will commence in earnest.  Have a couple 12" strips of red led that might find a place on the back for more tail light.

Halfling
1 hour ago, Monkeytrucker said:

Mine is going up on the live table today.  Just do not have the cahonies anymore to ride it up onto the table so I am just going to pick it up with the gantry and set it over onto the table.  Then the cleaning and service will commence in earnest.  Have a couple 12" strips of red led that might find a place on the back for more tail light.

I'd like to see some pictures of that process!!!

Monkeytrucker

It was interesting.  Being I do not feel safe riding the bike up on my lift table I used the gantry to lift it upon the table.  Where is the fore aft center of gravity?  Internet was no good for finding that.  So I grabbed my lifting straps and started hunting for the point that front and rear were equally off the floor. 

I found that if I use one of my purple HF lifting straps (actually used two with the second just for safety) and put the loops over the foot pegs back in the hinge point.  That was almost the center point but still forward.  The bike just wanted to rotate the back around the pegs.  So I ran another strap thru the rear seat had grips and  to the hook on the hoist.  I found that the fore aft CG is almost dead center of the front lip of the seat.

Lifted it up rolled the chain hoist sideways on the gantry and set it right home.  Tightened the front wheel clamp and the Black Widow is sitting pretty.

I will take the camera out to the shop this afternoon and hang the bike on the hoist again just to show the rig.  Will get a few photos of it on the home built life.  Not as fancy and the factory made ones but I do not think it will collapse because a little piece of light gauge metal fails.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Gold Wings can fly or what do you do to your Gold Wing for being a serial bug killer. 

You hang it.

The balance point using the above method is just an inch or so behind the front lip of the seat.

IMG_4027.thumb.JPG.9e7ebc20e29fbdf755baf20983454217.JPG

Pardon my dirty shop floor.  This wing runs on gravel roads and kills bugs.  Sure would be nice not have to deal with the gravel roads.  As some guy who pulled into the Honda store in Evansville, IN, with a perfectly shined, striped, decked out 1800 said to us "Why don't you wash that bike" and our answer was "We are too busy riding it."

NC Aspenwing

I've seen It all now,,,,,,,,,,, FLYING WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Ghost Rider 2

Well as bad as I hate to say it.  I parked my wing.  I rode my Kawasaki today.  The left front fork seal is leaking and I am waiting for parts to arrive.  Going to rebuild front forks and do front brakes while it is apart.  May even swap out tire while I am at it. 

yooperfan

Sunday was too nice to watch through the livingroom window.  It was much nicer watching the day pass while looking over the the windshield.  I rode to see my mom and then to Lou's to pick up a pizza.  I took 2 different routes and racked up 100 miles.  I think it's safe to put the snowblower away.

Parman

David,

Kiss of death with the snow blower statement. We've had snow in April a few times. :angel-praying-smiley-emoticon:

Indianawantsme

2-3" of snow for us today.   Winter doesn't want to give up in southern Indiana.   

Glad I got some riding done Sunday.   Got my Wing blessed at at a very small chapel I had never been to about 30 miles from home.  6 bike's and half were Wings.     110 miles total. 

• Like 3

Monkeytrucker

Steve, I have been going out and fanning the snow your way.  So far we have been in a hole in the snow storm.

Mountain Rider

Well, the snow took a U turn and came to play with us today. Not a lot, just aggravating.  I did get a new radiator found, purchased, and on the way, today. Hoping to have the Aspy back on the road by next week. :angel-praying-smiley-emoticon:

Dusty Boots

On Saturday, I dropped by the house of a riding group member from a different Chapter, to show/help him install the bottom trunk panel as he was doing it for the 1st time and was having difficulties.

In exchange for helping him out, he gave me a Dunlop E3 with just a couple thousand miles on it that had picked up a nail, so he got a new tire installed.

5ab2abd984eb9_IMG_1554-TirefromWildWillie.thumb.jpg.b5605bda0ccc517ab7b0b2990e30af04.jpg

Over they years, I've plugged quite a few rear tires and rode them down to the wear bars (or even further) and never had any issues with them.

So, today I decided to pull out the nail and plug it to install on my wing later on this year.

5ab2ac6377448_IMG_1561-1.thumb.jpg.70ae44e68920fa8250ae00ccb15dbe8f.jpg

5ab2ac6daa625_IMG_1563-1.thumb.jpg.141703344a077ed83868c31de8afae26.jpg

5ab2ac7e03446_IMG_1564-1.thumb.jpg.0e3d024cca86661d5ef360239a9b45a0.jpg

5ab2ac871f361_IMG_1570-1.thumb.jpg.934932bb98e4d6cd8d33a8c691f762f7.jpg

5ab2ac9b06f08_IMG_1572-1.thumb.jpg.9a58b2815b6e043da3e141369ec39c21.jpg

I'll trim the plug off flush tomorrow after it sit the rest of the day.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

I am sure they are still out there somewhere.  We used to have a clamp that would go over the tire or tube, you would have scuffed up the tire or tube, put a little glue in place, place a rubber patch over the hole, put a matching piece over the patch and clamp it, then prick the last piece in the material on the back and light it.  You needed to step back as the smoke would take your breath away.  Let it set a couple of minutes and you had a nice "vulcanized" repair.  Sometimes we would even push a little red rubber into the hole in the tire casing.  We even had an electric vulcanizing clamp that heated both the inside and outside of a tire making a really permanent repair.  Of course this was back in corded bias tires.  Then there were "boots".  Today a boot in a tire would have every lawyer within a thousand miles drooling if one of those failed.

There for a while were rubber mushroom plugs that you glued the inside of the flat mushroom and pushed it thru the hole and then pulled the stem back pulling the flat mushroom against the tire.  You aired it up quickly so the air pressure would also push the patch against the tire.

Modern tire changers have taken the work out of repairing a tire and they can get more money out of you.  And if the hole is anywhere near the edge of the tire they say it cannot be fixed.

I still prefer a glued on patch on the inside of a tire.  Those will stop any leakage if properly applied.

Indianawantsme

Those were the days..... of lighting tires on fire.

6 inches of snow one day and 50F and sunny a couple of days later.  Thanks for all the snow Gary.  

Greased up the clutch rod and bushing on the Wing.  Grease in boot in clutch m/c was good and added more,  but grease on bushing end and clutch handle bushing was dried up. 

Should have done maintenance on other bikes too today but just didn't get around to it.   

NC Aspenwing

Put my stock mufflers back on

winger77

Been doing all the yearly maintenance, Moly up the splines and change all fluids along with all the cleaning of the wheels and mufflers. All being done in the course of the last 3 weeks or so. And during all that time the battery tender had been off of it. Got her all back together and wanted to start her up, but after close to 10 years in service,, the battery just didn’t have what it takes anymore. So I just ordered a new “Deka AGM XTL18” from Amazon for $91.?. I’m pretty sure I paid close to that for the last one, so didn’t think that was too bad really.

• Like 2

brianinpa

Started them up yesterday.  Still too much of that white stuff on the ground after mother natures last fit, but the temps are climbing... maybe next week.

Mysticfour

Ghost, you could rebuild my front end if you want, I am dreading working on front end, afraid of screwing it up

Ghost Rider 2

I can do it.  But with older bikes if bolts break off or strip out there aint no guarantee.  I have replaced a couple sets of 1500 fork seals.  It is not the most fun job, and it does take time.  I doing seals and bushings on mine.  Most places say don't waist your time on seals without doing the bushings.

Mysticfour

What would you charge?  I would help,  just worried about doing it on my own, I already have progressive springs for it

Ghost Rider 2

I would say get a quote from WOP and Niehaus. I pretty sure you can get quote online. we will work something out off of that.

yooperfan

Friday morning, I needed to make a local trip in town, so out came the wing.  It was almost 50* for the entire 6 miles.  Snow was scheduled to hit saturday, but it didn't get to me.  Now, rain will be keeping the wing parked for a few days.

Mountain Rider

Got the new radiator and hoses installed, and let her run for a bit.  Temp is perfect, fan runs as it should, and no leaks, life's good.  Tomorrow I start putting the rest back together.  :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon:

Parman

Checked tire pressures, started her up and rode her out into the driveway to reorganize the garage to get the wife's car inside. First time I've had a vehicle actually parked in the garage in 4 or 5 year's.