plskthompson

What did you do to your wing today?

3,460 posts in this topic Last Reply

Indianawantsme

Had to edit this:

New front tire made no difference at all on the wobble except the G851 I have on is way better on everything traction wise and tar strip wiggles compared to the G709.   

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Like 1

DougW

Rode ours today.

Went out this afternoon, headed north and west from Alamo.  There is not a lot to see out there.  Plenty of flat land and straight roads once you get through all of the terror of getting out of town.  So far riding in the Rio Grande Valley is not all that much fun.

Indianawantsme

Got the steering bearings finished up yesterday and test rode today which included going to a new Harbor Freight 10 miles from me and a lot closer than the 60 mile away one.  

Put on about 55 miles on this beautiful sunny day. A couple of more good days yet around 60F and then cooling down.

What a difference the new bearings made. Wobble is gone!!!!!  

• Like 2

Indianawantsme

Rowena and I rode to Evansville,IN to return some items and put on about 150miles and temp hit 63F and sunny.   Temps go down fast this time of year. It was 46F when we got back home.    

Steering bearings still doing great and not that annoying loosey goosey feeling and wobbling.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Steve, I bet your gas mileage going south was lousy and coming back north you had to keep the brake on. I had to go south today on the 3 wheeler to check a well and 30 mph felt like 60 mph.  Coming back I was running about 30 mph and was afraid if I let a fart I would have to ride all the way home smelling it.  They are talking about some strong gusts tonight.

Glad you and Rowena got the ride in.

Jstkraze

Well today was my last ride of the season. We took the bike to work . When we left at 7:50 the temp was a balmy 34 degrees out. Lynne was a trooper this morning. The ride home at least it warmed up to 50 degrees. Came home and put her away for the season. Time to start my mods. 

73DE9894-F90E-4646-B96D-E5A8B03385B2.jpeg

Indianawantsme

Sorry Gary,  i forgot one important word....... SUNDAY  we rode.  

Today is like a tornado.

Monkeytrucker
47 minutes ago, Indianawantsme said:

Sorry Gary,  i forgot one important word....... SUNDAY  we rode.  

Today is like a tornado.

We wanted to ride all weekend but events seem to get in the way.

Tornado? at 2210 cst we have hard rain and winds.  It is really whistling in the trees.

Halfling

The last 3 days have been pretty nice here. Mid-day in the 60s. Nancy and I put on about 30 miles or so on Satyrday and then another 30 or so on Sunday. Today Nancy worked so I rode the trike to do errands around town (mailing, got my license renewed, gas, shopping etc. Not too many miles but it was still awesome. Temps right at 70* high today. It goes down quick with the sun though!

Mountain Rider

John, I'm going to come sleep on your porch.  28 degrees and snowy here.  :sad-face:

• Like 1

brianinpa

I took the next big step in restoring my 1200 Standard to original.  I started to look at the inside of the original motor in the hopes of being able to rebuild it.

large.Split_Case.jpg.a0b7c9632bcf2fe19529c3a51fea855b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Steed

Boy that sure looks familiar.  Where are you sourcing your parts ???

brianinpa
11 hours ago, Steed said:

Where are you sourcing your parts ???

A funny thing happened when I went to deer camp last week.  I found a used motor in the area that I was at for $100, so while I didn't get a deer, I did get some spare parts.  My intention, and hope, is that I can use the cases from the original engine so the bike stays original. 

Parts_Motor.jpg

• Like 2

Ghost Rider 2

I guess today I winterize bikes.  I have a new gas station 10 miles from my house that has alcohol free premium.  I like to use alky free when I winterize my bikes.  So today I going to fill and sea foam the bikes.  I will leave my 1800  so it easy to get to.  It will not bother me to have to winterize it a few times if I get a little ride time.

yooperfan

I've been busy riding and working and haven't posted in a while, so it's time to catch up. 

Last wednesday, I rode to meet mrs.Y for lunch.  I took the scenic route home for a total ride of 50 miles.

Thursday, I rode to Ottawa to see my mom.  After I got there, she sent me on an errand across town, which I was happy to do, since it meant more riding.  I took one scenic route there and a different scenic route home for a total ride of 65 miles.  

Monday, I rode to meet mrs.Y for lunch, maybe for the last time this year.  I took the county roads to get there.  I only ride them in the spring and fall, when corn fields don't block my view at intersections.  I took the scenic route home.  With a constant 25 mph cross wind, I didn't want any part of the busy highways.  I was white knuckled bad enough on the quiet roads for the whole 50 mile trip.  I had a few minutes before I left, so I checked the oil and aired up the tires.

Tuesday, I gave my wing a much needed cleaning.  It seems I did my fair share of insect reduction since the last time.   The petroleum based cleaner/wax that I use is a dust magnet, so it had a layer of dust that needed to go.  I found a very loose nut on the wind wing below the left mirror, so I finger tightened it and snugged up all the others.  The right side cover was popped out of the grommet, so I pulled it off to make sure everything was still there and then pushed it back on completely.  

I've been riding to work most nights, but the m/c parking pad, which has a roof and florescent lights in the ceiling that keep the wing warm and frost free all night, has been closed for remodeling the last 2 weeks.  I've had to park with the cages for a week (the week before that, I was on vacation).  Sunday morning, I had to brush the frost off the seat and windshield and had a 25* ride home, but I didn't complain.  I just wish they would have waited a few extra weeks to do the work.  I saw one other bike parked with the cages one day.  

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

That is what happens to those 2 cyl imitation HD bikes.  Just like the HDs the have to be worked on all of the time..,

:roflmao: Just kidding, we know you are only putting your touches on it and some blew up mechanical items.

Sorry about the ribbing Ken,  would rib you in person and wait for your great come back.

BTW, my Bride and your girlfriend says HELLO   :love:

• Like 1

brianinpa
(edited)

The Dusty touch... I hope it's not anything like the Brian touch.  Ah who am I kidding!  I'm sure they are very similar.  Start small and before you know it you have the bike the way you want it.

On another note... how do you get your bike onto your maintenance stand?

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Like 1

Ghost Rider 2

Changed oil on my 02  Brought the wife trike into garage fixed tail light that went out in Arkansas.  New tire laying next to bike.  See about that later this week.

Indianawantsme

Had the hitch mounted rack on the other day to test for exhaust heat.  A little soot was blown onto the plastic container and was pretty warm to the touch. I think my infrared said 115F. I think it was about 60F outside that day and i only rode for about 6miles.   Not sure how hot  the container would be if temp was 95-100F outside and riding for hours.

The Show Chrome turn downs came in and i installed them. Pretty light and fit sloppy. OEM fit snug.   They are like others complained about being turned inward a little. I didn't try loosening pipes and turning them.   They do keep the heat and exhaust crap off the rack and container. Put a coat of chrome polish inside and out on them before installing. I think exhaust might be a touch louder now.

AZgl1800
12 hours ago, Indianawantsme said:

Had the hitch mounted rack on the other day to test for exhaust heat.  A little soot was blown onto the plastic container and was pretty warm to the touch. I think my infrared said 115F. I think it was about 60F outside that day and i only rode for about 6miles.   Not sure how hot  the container would be if temp was 95-100F outside and riding for hours.

The Show Chrome turn downs came in and i installed them. Pretty light and fit sloppy. OEM fit snug.   They are like others complained about being turned inward a little. I didn't try loosening pipes and turning them.   They do keep the heat and exhaust crap off the rack and container. Put a coat of chrome polish inside and out on them before installing. I think exhaust might be a touch louder now.

that is precisely why I made my own, I raised the  bottom of the carrier rack so that it is 2 inches ABOVE the exhaust.  end of problem.  also making my own, let me size the rack precisely to fit my ice chest, it will not move around.

AZgl1800

I wanted to show a picture of my hitch rack carrier, but Photobucket has now locked down their stuff so that you can only see the tiniest of Thumbnails.  totally useless, I can't even see my own pictures, much less link them to a forum.

so, i told them where to get off, and deleted my photobucket account.  that is a shame, I have over 10,000 pictures stored there that are not available anywhere else....

• Sad 1

Monkeytrucker

OMG Dusty.  Did not realize that this was in fatal condition.  Did you try CPR.  Maybe we should call in hospice.

:cant-believe-it-sm::Face-Worried-Sm::roflmao:

• Haha 1

Dusty Boots

Well, Gary  ....  it's always 'fatal' when you 1st get a new to you bike!  

No other better way I know of to make her 'yours', then to strip her down and then dress her back up the way you want her. :roflmao:

Say Hi to the Bride for me!  :thumbs-up:

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker
3 hours ago, Dusty Boots said:

Well, Gary  ....  it's always 'fatal' when you 1st get a new to you bike!  

No other better way I know of to make her 'yours', then to strip her down and then dress her back up the way you want her. :roflmao:

Say Hi to the Bride for me!  :thumbs-up:

Be careful there Dusty, striping "her" down in this day and age could get you elected Prime Mister;

The Bride says "HI!"

• Like 2

Indianawantsme

Got maybe 45 miles in today running some errands. It was nice to get some riding in yet and will let her sit for a few days again. 

Pretty windy but hit above 50F.  I think it was up to 55F in town.

I have a Fully Dressed Wing again so i can take her out for a ride.   :Face-Raspberry:

• Like 1