plskthompson

What did you do to your wing today?

3,469 posts in this topic Last Reply

Steed

post-5385-0-80124200-1505864862_thumb.jpg

Finally tracked down some LED spots like I saw on John's trike at the Willville meet and greet.  What a royal pain to mount on the STeed.  But there's no way in hell you can't see me on the road with these things.  Acording to my amp-clamp, they're only pulling 1 1/2 amp at idle...

• Like 1

QDaddy

Just a leisurely jaunt to the local village for a hot fudge sundae. 96 degrees on first day of fall in Lower Michigan. I had to ride somewhere.

• Like 3

yooperfan

Yesterday, I rode to meet MrsY for lunch and then took the scenic route home.  Total ride was 50 miles.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Mounted an aluminum plate on the rear rack, moving the trunk to the rear about 3".  The wife is no longer squished and I've got room to stretch.  I just have to watch how much weight I put in there as it moves that weight from over the rear of the bike to over the air behind the bike..

Did that on the 1200.  Sure made it more comfy for the Bride.

pwhoever

I cured my suspension adjustment error on my gl1800 trike. It happened a couple months ago and just recently showed up again. Last time, I fixed it by replacing the old battery. This time, I had to do a bunch of troubleshooting including cleaning and checking the switches, swapping relays, checking the fuses, and the connectors at the pump. Everything seemed to check out. Finally I remembered a thread where someone else had exact same problem and discovered at least one of the connectors to the back of the dash gauges was loose. Plugged it all the way in and it started working fine again. I gave it a try and I'll be damned if it didn't start working again. I thought about it and it probably happened when I got the bike triked last year. They had to install a new raked triple tree and they would have to remove the dash to access it. Those connectors are a real bugger to deal with. Luckily I was able to just barely reach into the fork tunnel to push in on the connectors. Pretty sure the left one went slightly in a bit and I thought I heard a click as it seated. Another problem solved!!!

• Like 4

Halfling

In Banner Elk, NC...Got to take my sister Carole Worthley on a little ride on the trike today, she loved it!!

Mountain Rider

Yesterday, actually. Finally got the new front wheel bearings and seals installed. While I had it apart, I installed the new front brake pads and bled the front calipers. The front end feels much better.

I also played with the sync on the throttle. Instantly smoothed out the idle, has a more uniform exhaust note from both sides, and response was much better.

yooperfan

Time to play catch up. 

Last week, the highway on my way to work was ground down about 1/2 inch in preparation to resurface it.  Being double dark left me feeling 90% more comfy than if I wasn't.  The ride was mostly stable and I wasn't tossed around like a rag doll.

On Monday, I used the wing to run an out of town errand and to see my mom.  Total ride was 60 miles, on the scenic route, of course.

On Tuesday, MrsY and I rode to Ottawa for dinner.  We almost had to change our plans after seeing the clouds heading our way, but a quick look at the radar said we should be ok long enough to eat.  Luckily, we stayed dry.  Another 60 miles on the clock using the scenic route again.

• Like 2

AZgl1800

I for one, noticed a much superior feel of the road during a heavy rain after my Michelin RF "car tire" was installed on my bike.

Prior to that, I was driving down I-44 and it started raining....

Every time, I would try to increase speed at about 50 mph in 5th gear, the old E3 tire would hydroplane and go sideways on me.

That trip, of trying to stay away from semi-trucks in the rain did it for me, I bought the Michelin RF the next day, installed it the next week after it arrived by FedEx.

Not once, in over 12,000 miles, has that Michelin ever slipped or hydroplaned since then... and two years ago, I road many 100s of miles in heavy rain going to NASSIR8 in Edgefield, SC and up north to King, NC...

yooperfan

I guess it depends on a lot of factors, like tread, road surface, and amount of water on the road.  On my trip to Willville 3 years ago, I saw rain 5 out of 7 days, some on the interstate.  My m/c tires were fine even though the rear was getting low on tread with each passing mile.   On the next tire, I broke traction after turning onto a blacktop county road in heavy rain and accelerating.  That type of surface is slick to begin with but add rain and acceleration  from maybe 20 MPH and I had a butt pucker moment.  I don't think I've been in the rain since then or at least not since going double dark this year.  The grooved road last week was the worst surface and it rode fine.  It almost makes me want to get caught in the rain just so I can see the results of being double dark.  NOT!!  I'm just as happy never having to find out.

yooperfan

Time to play catch up after a weekend of riding.

Friday, MrsY and I rode to town for cornfest.  It was a short trip but better than nothing.  The best part was that I have a great parking spot that I can squeeze into with the wing.  Parking is scarce during the festival week.

Saturday, we rode to town again for more of the festival, using the same parking spot.

Today,  she wasn't feeling up for a ride, so I rode alone to Peru to pick up a pizza at Lou's and a gas stop.  Today's ride was 100 miles and the temp has been 70-75 all weekend.

Now I'm all ready to rack up even more miles next week.  I haven't driven my cage since I got home from Florida a month ago.  I put more miles on my wing in about 9 months of riding than I put on my cage in a full year of driving.

AZgl1800

Couple days late on this, rode the mountain roads in west Arkansas and east Oklahoma with some great friends,

DaveO430, Lopeha, Dodge, LarryC

We had lunch at Queen Wilhemina Lodge state park, AR and really enjoyed the good food and all the desserts you could want.

Clocked 460 miles on this tired old soul.

post-30-0-39380000-1506959896_thumb.png

DougW

Went for a nice ride today with my Wife. We rode down to the Kinzua Dam. We usually ride RT6 but it has a detour because of a bridge replacement. The detour road is also a pretty fun road except they are working on repaving it. Had to work through he flagmen with their stop paddles. Stopped at the Dam and looked around a bit, the water is being let down to keep good flow downstream as there has been little rain lately and they need the water in the Ohio River at Pittsburgh plus they always let the level down this time of year anyway so the outflow was pretty heavy, loud and neat to see. Rode on a bit further east to stop for lunch and then made our way back home. We decided to take an alternate road home that runs parallel with RT 6 but is not the Detour road, it is also under repaving and we were sitting dead stopped for 16 minutes waiting for them. Don't know what Penndot is thinking, close RT 6, do a project on the official detour and do a project on the alternate road on the opposite side of RT 6 as well. At least it was a beautiful fall day, we got about 150 miles in.

• Like 2

Steed

Doug, as often as you ride in Pa. you should know by now.  There aren't two brain cells in the entire Penndot department to rub together.   Glad you enjoyed the dam. 

yooperfan

Yesterday, I met up with a co-worker and rode to lunch and just cruising.  Total was 105 miles.

Today, MrsY and I rode to dinner.  Today's total was 110 miles.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Woke up to snow this morning, so I decided to finally fix my clutch master cylinder.  With the help of a small drill bit, I was able to get the damaged screws out of the cover.  No wonder the clutch wasn't working, the fluid was on top of the diaphragm, not in the reservoir, so when I tried to bleed the system, I emptied what little was left.  Got the reservoir topped off, a new diaphragm installed, and the system bled.  Works like a charm now,  and the shifts are smooth as they can be.  Since the roads cleared this afternoon, I took her out for a test drive and to fill the gas tank.  Ordered a new cover for the left jocky box last night on eBay.

• Like 1

Bluthundr31

Replaced original Dash/instrument lights with LED's.  WOWWW, what a difference!!! Best upgrade/improvement EVER!!!! 

• Like 2

Mountain Rider

Bluthundr31, what LED's did you use and where did you get them?  Having a brighter dash would be awesome.

Bluthundr31

Mountain rider, I went online to "SuperbriteLED's.com".  The following info is for the GL1500, I'm not sure what your 1200 Aspy will take.

(4)-main illumination bulbs;#194-CWHP5

(2)-overdrive & sidesrand; #194-A4-32

(2)- In-dash turn signals; #74-AHP

(1)- Hi beam; #194-B4-32

(1)- Neutral; #194-G4-32

i chose NOT to replace the Oil light because that involves putting a resistor on the wires, I'm just not comfortable doing that.

My '91 GL1500 Interstate has no LCD so I didn't need the two LCD bulbs (#74-NWHP). 

I used information at: http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10998&sid=190e517e26e9e190bf95edfc49b6818b

You'll be blown away at the improvement.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

I'm thinking that may be a bit of a project on the Aspy, since the main dash is a digital LCD display, nothing analog.  It may be the perfect project for my tank top trip computer though.  Most of the displays are very dim these days.  Thanks for the info, I'll have to investigate this a little further.

yooperfan

On the way home from work yesterday morning, I started getting chilly, so I stopped to put on my heavier coat.  I noticed all the tail lights were on which was a pleasant surprise, since I haven't been able to remove one of the cap nuts holding the right side light fixture to replace a burned out bulb.  I guess it fixed itself since it knew I couldn't do it.

After a quick nap, I took lil-Y for a ride.  Another pleasant surprise, since it was his idea.  He wanted to go to Lou's for pizza and who am I to argue with that.  I suggested going a bit farther to see a covered bridge north of Princeton.  It's about 155 years old.  His butt was getting sore but he still said it was worth the extra miles.  Total for the day was 135 miles.

• Like 1

Bluthundr31

I should've included pics from yesterdays' dash light upgrade to LED's:

BEFORE:

Dashlites_B4.thumb.jpg.d86796c71f979a4b1e7f45baaaf4ba80.jpg

AFTER:

Dashlites_After.thumb.jpg.2f035d510171ede2a3704c8596a76389.jpg

NORMAL NIGHT RIDING:

Normalnite.thumb.jpg.c257c73ac8f677f09ea4a7b99eb1fd0d.jpg

Truthfully, the camera, and my shaky hands, caused the glare/blur.  In real life, its crystal clear and comfortable on the eyes for riding.   

• Like 1

yooperfan

Yesterday, MrsY and I took a little ride just because, into a cloudy setting sun.  The ride ended after 30 miles.

Steed

Just a little ride in the country, stopped by my Club but no-one was shooting so back to the barn...

Monkeytrucker

Went out and clean the bugs that demanded to commit suicide on the windscreen and head lights.  It is the time of year that those flying web spiders webs drift across the road and hang on the front of the bike.  Thought about doing a full clean on it but other neglected items like mowing the yard, building tree cages to protect our 3-4 ft. tall Pecan trees from the deer that ate every limb off them last winter.  Was surprised they came back.

Tried to talk the bride into riding down to KY this afternoon but she declared us both too tired from yesterday.  Maybe she is right.