plskthompson

What did you do to your wing today?

3,456 posts in this topic Last Reply

pwhoever

I tried tackling an overheating problem that first showed up last year on a trip out west. Going up a steep grade at beginning of Chief Joseph Highway, it started to quickly overheat. At the time I thought it might be related to high pressure building up in the gas tank. I solved that pressure problem after getting back home. Turns out the hose that runs to the charcoal canister in front of gas tank got pinched when I had reinstalled the gas tank after having it out to put new progressive spring on rear shock. I got it rerouted properly and no more pressure build up in gas tank. I also didn't have any overheating issues so I figured it was taken care of. I also wasn't able to get a lot of riding in be for this month when I took a 2 week trip out east starting with NASR in Seneca Falls. All was fine until leaving Seneca Falls until reaching D.C. It was an extremely hot day with temps in the upper 90's along with plenty of slow moving traffic. I saw my temp gauge climb past the red hash mark to the "H". It happened a twice in places where there was no where to pull over to the side so it could let the fans cool it down. When It was finally able, I did pull over and it cooled down. It happened again later on highway in rush hour traffic by Philidelphia where there was no shoulder to pull over. I found that a possible fault was the radiator cap. On one of the days, I was able to pickup a new radiator cap at NAPA using a cross reference to a Stant 12330 cap. It has a 16 psi rating that is about what the Honda cap is rated at. At first it seemed like it was working but in some of the mountains in Maine, it started overheating again. I found a car wash and tried washing out the radiators. Again that seemed to help until trying to climb Mt Washington in New Hampshire. I could only make it up to first turnoff until it was overheating again. I made it to about halfway to another turnoff and it was overheated again. There were 2 other GL1800's that didn't have any where near the cooling problems I was having. I took it easy for the rest of the trip because I didn't want to risk a burst hose or other damage. I had a discussion with Parman and Been shot who were the people on the trip. I was asked when the last time the antifreeze had been changed and honestly I had no idea. I have owned this since Sep of 2014 and know that I hadn't changed it. Since I had tried cleaning the radiator fins along with a new radiator cap, I was told that it was most likely a flow problem in the cooling system. It was recommended that I might want to pull the radiators and check the flow with a hose. Also found that it could possibly be a stuck thermostat. I really didn't want to have to pull the shelter and fairing off so I figured I would at the least try changing out the coolant. I got the system drained and it drained pretty quickly. I had read where others found the drain to be clogged and would have to stick something up there to clear out the blockage. I figured this was agood sign for me. I also drained the overflow tank. I put new coolant (silica free of course) in the radiator and the overflow tank. I ran it until it was warmed up, blipped the throttle several times and then topped it off. One thing I noticed is that before, when it warmed up, the temp gauge would be right in the middle. Both Parman and Beenshot said theirs would be just under halfway when warmed up. This time mine is sitting just under after warming up. I did try holding the throttle around 3-4000 rpm for a bit to get the engine to heat up. The temp gauge did rise after holding the throttle for awhile but just barely over the halfway mark and the fans kicked on and cooled it right down. Today it was on the cooler side so I wasn't able to test it out to see if I finally got it but I am feeling better about it. Hopefully this did the trick.

Another thing I did was check into the foot heater doors. Lately the right one had been staying about halfway open and the left didn't fully close. Since I had taken the lower cowl off for the coolant change, I had access to the adjusters. The left one took only a slight adjustment and it would now close. The right one, though, I adjusted it all the way to the limit and still couldn't get it to close. I figured I was going to need a new adjusting cable. Just for kicks, I popped out the left fairing pocket and immediately saw that the part of the cable under the lever was no longer in the clip and was hanging freely. I popped it back in to the clip, went back and readjusted the doors, and now they both fully close like they should. Hopefully now the heat I have been feeling on my feet wont be as much as it has been. My feet haveiterally been baking on the extreme hot days. Part of it I know was due to the coolant issue and the engine running hot. With any luck I have solved that with the coolant change and getting these foot heating doors to fully close now.

• Like 2

Mountain Rider

Not so much what we did to it as what we did on it. Road to the movies, then watched the Blue Angels, followed by a road trip to Palisades and a bite to eat. Beautiful country.

post-5677-0-11604400-1500957693_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Double post

post-5677-0-11604400-1500957693_thumb.jpg

yooperfan

I rode to Duffy's in Utica where I had lunch with a couple of HD riding co-workers.  Since I have been known to wear my goldwing shirt when I ride with them, I wasn't surprised to see them both wearing HD shirts.  We rode back to Ottawa before going in different directions.  I stopped to see my mom before heading home.  I didn't add to my tan since it was cloudy all day but it was still warm enough to be a nice day for a ride.  Total for the day was 90 miles.

yooperfan

I met up with a co-worker and we rode to Utica for a late lunch.  The first stop quit serving food 30 minutes before we got there, so we picked plan B.  Duffys would have been plan C, but it didn't come to that.  After lunch, we rode through  a state park before heading to Ottawa, where we parted ways.  I stopped to see my mom before heading home.  Total ride was 100 miles.

brianinpa

I took my 87 on a little trip to the Darkside.  In the process, I also replaced the air shocks with some Progressive 412's and changed some things with the trailer hitch and lights.  Oh the joys of tearing the rear end of the bike completely apart, only to put it all back together again.  Thankfully, with the car tire on there, it will be quite a while before I have to do it again.

• Like 1

yooperfan

MrsY and I rode to Elburn for lunch.   A $5 burger and fries is hard to beat.  It looked a little cloudy when we left and lil-Y called as we were getting ready to head home to say a big rain storm passed through at home.  The roads were dry for the ride home, but Morris had some puddles as proof that it was hit with a down pour.  We stayed totally dry during the pleasant  90 mile ride.

AZgl1800

woke up and it was 64* ???

wow!

got dressed and went for a ride, came home and it was 72*

Mountain Rider

Installed the new front tire, an Avon Cobra.  With just the front on, it's a completely different bike.  Can't wait to get the rear on.

Ghost Rider 2

Had day off and needed to find a nice lunch. 420 miles for a fantastic Tenderloin sandwich.

• Like 1

OnaWingandaPrayer

Had day off and needed to find a nice lunch. 420 miles for a fantastic Tenderloin sandwich.

dayum you must have been hungry! Glad you had a great ride and good meal to boot.

Ghost Rider 2

That was a warm up. Wait till next Wednesday.

DriverRider

Not my Goldwing but finished a 2000 1500 I had been working on for a few days. I started at the front with a new E4 tire, both side brake pads, timing belts, carb overhaul for a plugged idle jet with mixture adjustments and sync, 90 degree vacuum hose replacement, coolant change, new rear E4 tire and brake pads, final drive oil change, driveshaft boot replacement and driveshaft greasing, clutch and brake bleeding along with general greasing, inspection and adjustments. Mission accomplished.

• Like 1

KReitz124

I got a hankering for a newer Wing.  The difference between the 1500 and 1800 wow.    This week  I installed mini boards, highway pegs, luggage rack, front pocket power outlet, carpets in the saddlebags and trunk, and a couple organizers.  Shined it up and went for a ride.  Still going to miss that 1500,  it was and is still a good one.  

brianinpa

Took a big step in getting the 1200 Standard back to looking like a real motorcycle rather than just a heap in the corner of the garage.

1200S Rebirth

The new motor for the bike is in and now it is on to the rest of the bike.

• Like 1

yooperfan

MrsY and I rode to Ottawa to meet up with my cousin and his wife.  They trailered their HD from Florida for our family reunion that was yesterday.  We rode around town for a bit, to see the houses we each grew up in.   We stopped at the darn to look through the visitor's center on the way to Duffys in Utica, where we had lupper.  The ride ended after 85 miles.

yooperfan

Yesterday, I needed gas, so I checked for the lowest price I could find within a one-day ride and headed out, towards Indiana.  The gas I found was near the border and I figured I might as well cross the state line, just because I could.  

After burning a half tank of gas with MrsY on back the day before, with the cruise set at a comfy 55 MPH, (comfy for her, not me), and then doing the same 55 MPH yesterday while riding solo, I managed 45 MPG instead of my average of about 38 MPG .  I doubt I will see 45 MPG again anytime soon.   The ride ended after a total of 145 miles on another perfect day for riding.

Ghost Rider 2

I took off Wednesday for a nice little ride. Found my way home Saturday. 1960 miles. I love Arkansas!!!

• Like 1

kiptap

Rode to Lake Geneva, WI and unfortunately I hit a red tail hawk.  As I was riding around the lake there were several hawks dive bombing, I would guess mice, on the side of the road.  I guess my bike was scaring the mice out of the edge of a small patch of tall grass that ran along the road for miles.  As I was driving, hawks would dive bomb out of the trees landing about 25 feet in front of the me on the edge of the shoulder.  The first two scarred the hell out of me as something large shows up out immediately at 5 feet high within 25 feet in front of you with no warning and moving fast.  Then this one hawk over shoots his prey and decides to pull out of the dive right across the road.  I nail the brakes extra hard for this one and he tries flapping in reverse stopping right in the line of bike travel, (he would have made it if he kept going).  I hear a slight thump as he flaps off to the side of the road and disappears behind the tall grass.  I circle around but cant find him.  I think he made it as it was such a light thump noise off the front of the bike, no feathers and no indication of impact on the bike.  I hope he made it, very pretty birds, shame.  Chalk one up for the mice.    

• Like 1

Triwing

I hit  a buzzard once, diving across the road several years ago, while on my 84 standard. Hand hit it hard enough, that we both were dancing around to keep from crashing.

brianinpa

I picked up a passenger on my 87...

post-3681-0-64183800-1503018114_thumb.jpg

pwhoever

The overheating problem didn't seem to be completely gone so I decided to dive in and find out what I could. Last weekend I started to tear into it. I picked up a uview 550000 to help out because filling was just a complete pain in the arse. This uview is pretty slick! I ended up running a commercial radiator flush first, running the bike for an hour, and then over the next several days, flushing it with clean water. I then rented a radiator pressure tester from Autozone and tested the cooling system, the old radiator cap, and a new Honda radiator cap. All tested fine. So I pulled off a bunch of tupperware and gas tank to vet to the water pump. This also revealed a couple more clamps on the coolant hoses I missed last winter. I took out alternator and noticed there was quite a bit of gunk on cooling fins on rear so I cleaned that off really good along with blowing compressed air inside. I got a whole bunch of dust to blow out when I did that. I finally tackled the water pump. Got the old out and put in the new. Nothing seemed obviously wrong with old but for peace of mind and since I already had the new one, I put it in. There was no buildup inside any of the exposed radiator hoses or pump which is a good sign. Finally finished up with refilling with brand new silicate free coolant yesterday. I fired it up and so far so good. No leaks and it has to run for a bit before the fans kick on the first tim. I havent gotten a chance to take it out and put it through its paces but I think I have pretty much done everything possible. No lost parts and got everything fitted back the way it's supposed to. No coolant leaks underneath either. If this doesnt solve it, I will be stumped. Today I gave the trike a first real wash. I have always just used Pledge but figured it was a time for a good wash. Came out good.

post-997-0-67473800-1503023733_thumb.jpg

post-997-0-08323700-1503023806_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

yooperfan

I rode to Ottawa to see my F.I.L. and my mom, then to Utica to pick up some wine and gas.  It was too nice out to not ride SOMEWHERE.

Mountain Rider

Had a very productive day.  Changed the final drive oil, changed the front fork oil, drained, flushed, refilled, and bled the brakes.

Dusty Boots

Just got back from my trip out west (Vancouver Island) in which I put on another 13,137 on the clock!

Endured many days of 100+* days, smoke from all sorts of forest fires in MT/WA and especially BC.

The Mistress even survived losing her engine oil bolt, dropping all her engine oil and being ridden for 9 mi before I noticed the flashing/then steady on oil warning light before I was able to safely pull over and coast most of the way downhill to get her to a garage and ordered a new bolt/crush washer from Valley Honda in Sheridan WY. They delivered it to me as well!   :thumbs-up:

post-3978-0-82500100-1503276846_thumb.jpg     post-3978-0-64333400-1503276909_thumb.jpg

• Like 1