plskthompson

What did you do to your wing today?

3,456 posts in this topic Last Reply

Indianawantsme

Went to Jail House Pizza in Brandenburg,KY today with 3 other bikers and all of us with wives.  Was an old jail built in 1904 and has some cells yet. 

Put on 180 miles and got 45.7mpg.  We never got above 65mph and that was just briefly that we even hit 65. 

• Like 2

AZgl1800

I did a cruise down the block about 125 miles, kept the tach at or below 3000 on the way home.

going down, it was about 2250-2500

not near enough miles to get a really good mpg reading, but the "one tank" turned 39.3 mpg

OnaWingandaPrayer

Dusty, I pull the final off to lube the splines. Install the final to the wheel and roll it into the swingarm as a unit.

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

Dusty, I pull the final off to lube the splines. Install the final to the wheel and roll it into the swingarm as a unit.

Mike, that's what I'll be doing to remove it and install it when I get a new final drive/driven flange set  ....   thanks!

brianinpa

Today marks the first time I have been on a m/c since Mardonna was admitted to hospital August of last year.

She never saw home again, and passed on while still at Post Acute Medical Surgical hospital.

I left at 07:30 and got back home at 13:45 with the temp at 83* which is my limit since I got hurt in 2008.

Here is a link to SPOT tracking which drops a footprint every 10 minutes if it can see a satellite.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0gqTg56QDrd6CDbZa9PvVAoyo4CbCZmdR

Welcome back into the saddle John!

• Like 1

Parman

Took the bike in to get a new front tire installed this morning. Got there at 1030 and dropped it off. Asked Service Manager when it would be ready thinking he would say a day or two. They rolled in as my daughter and I departed for lunch An hour later it was ready to roll. :Face-Smile-Big: 

I have always been pleased with the service at Neilson's in Lake Villa, IL. My wing has never been in their shop more than two days. :thumbs-up: 

• Like 2

brianinpa

Changed the fluid in the forks yesterday, so now the front has a little more bounce resistance...

Jstkraze

Installed new brake pads or the rear of the Wing. With us leaving for the NASR trip next week I wanna be ready. They were pretty low.

AZgl1800

Located all of my auction items for NASR10

noviwinger

Spent the last two weeks covering a 3000-mile loop from Ann Arbor, Mi to Gettysburg, Pa, to Washington DC, to Baltimore, MD, to Philadelphia, pa, to Newark, nj, to Jersey City, nj, to New York City, to Norwalk, CT, to Yarmouth, ma, to Plymouth, ma to Boston, ma to Lubec, me then looped our way back home through New Hampshire, Vermont, and Upstate New York.  We rode through downtowns of DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, and Boston.  

After traveling on the Wing with the stock seat for 11 days and 3000-miles, My wonderful wife was still ready to ride the day after we got back and still wants to ride more.  You got to love it.  What did I do today on the Wing?  The boring ride to work, all the while missing the open road!

Monkeytrucker

I am getting ours out of the hangar today and hooking it to the camper.  Heading out looking for a place to camp so we can just do a little 3 night life reset.  Looking for campsites for less than $10  a night.  Hopefully we will find an Army Corps of Engineer campground.  Our senior pass halves the fee at those.  We have books loaded on our tablets and some food cans in a bag ready to go.

I have put in my request that the Russian spies that are looking to recruit spies pay me a visit.  I would take $40,000 under the table to report on how many times the crop duster flies over us each day (about 16 times a day at least in the battle against silk worms), how many vehicles go up and down our road in a day (about 10), how many oil wells are running each day (about 30 in a half mile radius) and most importantly how many gold wing riders there are enjoying life.

Dusty Boots

I pulled my rear tire today to change it out for a 195/55-16 Yokohama run flat and to grease the rear drive/final drive splines in prep for my upcoming trip and found this ....

So, I am in need of a good final drive and driven flange combo, if anyone has one?  I have feelers out, but am in fairly urgent need as I am scheduled to leave on my trip July 12!!!

While waiting to see if I get a response for a decent final drive/driven flange set, I decided to see if I could shoe horn that Yok 195'55-16 between the swing arm and not have it rub.

Some have had success, and some haven't, so I thought now is the time to find out and if it doesn't, I'd have to order a new Dunlop E4 for the rear quickly.

It took a few boots from behind to get it in there, but it does fit ....  albeit a tight fit!   ....

So, now I'm waiting to see about a new final drive/driven flange set!    :sad-face:

Thanks to member Jstkraze, (thanks again, Tom!!) I have a good final drive. I had to locate and obtain a driven flange in good shape locally.

Got that installed and when wiring up a separate wiring harness for my cargo trailer, I ran into problems which I discovered was the ISO trailer wiring harness I had installed years ago. Seems it doesn't play nice with a 5 to 4 pin converter, so I removed that and had to rewire both the 6 pin and 4 pin trailer connectors. Bled the brakes and clutch

Finally getting it all back together and should have it out for a test run later today!

post-3978-0-66955400-1499436099_thumb.jpg   post-3978-0-09520000-1499435997_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

Dusty Boots

OK, finished getting the bike together this morning  and then took it out for a pretty good spin, 1st by itself to make sure everything was it should be and to check handling of the 195/55-16 Yok run flat, then with my cargo trailer I'll be towing out to Vancouver Island shortly (Thurs July 13) in tow to get some cheap gas in a couple of 5 gal gas containers and to make sure all my trailer connections were functioning as they should.

Tire handled very well including gravel roads,thanks mostly due to the lower profile and the stiff side walls being a run flat tire.   :thumbs-up:

Just got home when the heavens opened up, including lots of lightning and large pea sized hail.

35745741026_4eaed23c3f_c.jpg

34976427133_aebe312f42_o.jpg

35745714286_a2036cab99_c.jpg

34946271114_eb22d6955e_c.jpg

35398190670_1ab59c22f3_c.jpg

All in all, I put on over 165 mi today

Jstkraze

Your welcome Ken, glad it worked out for you and you will be able to make your trip.

• Like 1

brianinpa

Hooked up the trailer and checked the air in all the tires. Ready to roll to Yokum's tomorrow!

• Like 1

Jstkraze

Installed new trailer tires, one had a flat spot and a little bulge in the sidewall. Will be packing today and ready to roll tomorrow.

• Like 1

yooperfan

OK, finished getting the bike together this morning  and then took it out for a pretty good spin, 1st by itself to make sure everything was it should be and to check handling of the 195/55-16 Yok run flat, then with my cargo trailer I'll be towing out to Vancouver Island shortly (Thurs July 13) in tow to get some cheap gas in a couple of 5 gal gas containers and to make sure all my trailer connections were functioning as they should.

I've made gas runs like that too, but by the time I get back home, I need gas again.

yooperfan

Yesterday, I made a couple of trips in town to run errands.  The smiles added up more than the miles.

yooperfan

I tried unsuccessfully to change a taillight bulb.  One of the cap nuts wouldn't come off.  The bolt is turning inside the housing.  

I tried a socket like I did with the other 2 nuts.   fail #1

I used the socket with a drill.  fail #2

I cussed at it after fail #2.  Who knew the nut would get hot enough from the speed of the drill to burn my finger tip?   fail #2.5

I used a dremel tool to grind the head off the nut.   fail #3

I sprayed liquid wrench on the threads.  fail #4

I tried prying gently behind the nut and applying a light, sideways pressure to the fixture and ratchet while using the socket.   fail #5

I decided 3 out of 4 tail lights and both brake and blinker lights working is enough for now, until I get new ideas to try.

The first thought was using a nut splitter, but I don't think there is enough room to use it, since the nut is recessed in the plastic.

Next is to drill out the bolt but I don't believe for a second that i could drill it perfectly straight, especially in such tight quarters.

Any other ideas??

brianinpa

I rode the 81 to the local Twin Kiss for a Root Beer Float.  This is most likely the last ride for this bike, but its heart will live on.

:Face-Crying:

Pearl Rider

Washed, cleaned and polished after riding in the rain on the way home. Man this red shows up dirt a lot more the the white one

AZgl1800

Got that installed and when wiring up a separate wiring harness for my cargo trailer, I ran into problems which I discovered was the ISO trailer wiring harness I had installed years ago. Seems it doesn't play nice with a 5 to 4 pin converter, so I removed that and had to rewire both the 6 pin and 4 pin trailer connectors.

You are not the only one.

Those ISO adapters and the 5 to 4 converters do not play well at all.

I had the same setup on my 1800, and it had to go.

My fix, was to make the trailer a 6 wire setup, and ran individual lights for Turn Signals, and Brakes separately.

I much prefer it that way, as the 4 way flashers really stand out when you have RED flashers going, instead of those anemic amber colored turn signals.

yooperfan

Today, I rode 2 different scenic routes to and from Utica and then a little in the other direction after getting back to Morris.  I had no real destination, just some 2 wheeled therapy.  The ride ended after 100 warm and sunny miles.

brianinpa

I finished disassembling the 81 1200 over the weekend, so it is officially retired.