Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
plskthompson

What did you do to your wing today?

3,294 posts in this topic Last Reply

Bluthundr31

I've been out riding the beast and enjoying the new "tunes" set-up along with the ability for Navi/mileage apps.  I had to modify the center shelter "cover" to install the radio "head" , then feed the aux-in and USB cable back down thru the cover and back up to the iPhone. The "guts" of the radio mount onto the same shelf that originally held the original booster/amp for that crappy Kenwood in the left fairing pocket. The iPhone is held in place with a magnet under the cover and it doesn't slide/fall off. I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Finalized after-market radio ($20 @Wallyworld) installed  on center shelter of '91 GL1500 Interstate.  Original power and speaker wires worked fine.  12" antennae extension cable ($2.99) needed.

RadioComplete_1.thumb.jpg.0f3024bcb39b3046b40259d5ad7844a2.jpg

Shop lights turned off to display radio head and Navi program (Navi program gave a ton of glare but is VERY clear in real life)

5a69a1a50f649_Radiocomplete_2.thumb.jpg.90e11cfbce72d8302bba5ac928918458.jpg

Mountain Rider

Very nice!

• Like 1

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Planned on doing some disassembly on the Aspy in prep for the weekend, but the wife's car took a dump. Looks like the alternator, but I'll run the scanner on it tonight and see what pops out at me. I did get a brake light modulator ordered though, so while I'm doing the other stuff, I'll get that installed. The wife is happy about that little upgrade, now she wants one for the headlight. Something about being a target for butt heads seems to annoy her. 

Also spoke with the local powder coater about doing the windshield garnish, so looks original. 

Edited by Mountain Rider

Indianawantsme

Beautiful sunny day and 55F or something. Really felt warm.    Yard is a soppy mess yet so i thought i would work on the Wing.

Wanted to put some LEDS in the side radiator grills somehow and while it is somewhat apart i took the ECM  out to send it back to GUHL to tweek it a little more and hopefully get rid of the stumble all the way again without drastically reducing gas mpg.       

Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer.  Might have to get out one of the other bikes and ride if i can get through the yard and up to the blacktop. 

AZgl1800

temps were 61 to 64 today, but I was in Houston :(

so did not ride the bike, it was at home.

Ghost Rider 2

Well with forecast saying 50's I just had to ride to work yesterday.  Left the house  36 - 37 degrees headed to work nice!!!  Well thstweas for a few miles then I decided thast maybe I made a mistake.  Seems like the frost decided to settle in on the road on my way.  North South roads not to bad.  But the west bound had way to much frost for my liking.  I made it to work OK did ride a lot slower than normal.  A couple of short stretches  was just barely rolling to get over a bridge or shady area.  This morning is better It 46 out side this morning.  May be trying it again. 

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Just looked out the kitchen window at the 1800 sitting in the Hangar.  I could canoe over there but the driving rain would sink the canoe before I got there.

KReitz124

nice 58 degree day yesterday.  Got out for a 100 mile ride.  It was nice to take a break from painting the house.  Now  back at it

• Like 1

NC Aspenwing

Straightened up the stuff In the saddlebags, other than that nothing.

Ghost Rider 2

Left work at noon.  Got in 200 miles this afternoon.  I think I may be leaving early quite a bit.  LOL

• Like 1

Ghost Rider 2

Well after my little trip yesterday the roads are not exactly clean around here.  So this afternoon I washed and detailed the bike.  WOW  112,000 miles and 16 years old.  But darn that is one good looking motorcycle!!!

yooperfan

Work, the weather, and the holidays have gotten in the way of doing much with the wing lately, but it hasn't been completely ignored.  Over the last month, I added sea foam, topped off the tank, rolled it out of the garage and ran it for a while, on the center stand, so I could run through the gears and warm up everything, and then rolled it back in the garage, put it on the center stand again, put a piece of wood under the front tire, and put the cover on.  It has been warm enough to ride this weekend, but even with all the rain lately, the roads are still white from all the salt, so I'm sadly ok with the wing staying in the garage for now.

yooperfan
On 1/27/2018 at 5:47 AM, Ghost Rider 2 said:

Well with forecast saying 50's I just had to ride to work yesterday.  Left the house  36 - 37 degrees headed to work nice!!!  Well thstweas for a few miles then I decided thast maybe I made a mistake.  Seems like the frost decided to settle in on the road on my way.  North South roads not to bad.  But the west bound had way to much frost for my liking.  I made it to work OK did ride a lot slower than normal.  A couple of short stretches  was just barely rolling to get over a bridge or shady area.  This morning is better It 46 out side this morning.  May be trying it again. 

With all the miles you have ridden over the years, I bet you have found similar road conditions before.  Did the CT feel more stable than a MT?  It's good to feel more comfortable as long as you don't abuse it and ride faster, which you didn't do.  Slow and easy is the way to go when the roads are iffy.

Ghost Rider 2

With all the years and all the miles.  I think this was first time that the frost was settling on me as I traveled.  Roads changed 2 or 3 times on my way to work. I don't know how to answer about it being more stable.  It was flat out slick in places and I was just trying to keep bike upright.  I a glad I did not catch a rut where the black tire tried to climp up the edge.  If so I would have probably went down.  The most of my ride was manageable.  But several very slick areas.

As for the car tire in general.  I have right at 11,500 on my 02 with it.  Rapidly see wear bars getting closer.  I will no way see 20,000. A lot of people are getting that but 1/2 of this tires milage has been in Arkansas this past summer.  That take a lot off of one.

brianinpa

I am in the process of switching the 87 over to a single carb, so that freed up the carb rack that I had on that bike.  This was the original carb rack for the 84 Standard, so I replaced the carb rack on the 84 back to the original.  Now if I could only find some main bearings I might be able to get the original motor rebuilt and reinstalled.

DougW

Rode it. We went about 130 miles but still have not found any fun roads here in the Rio Grande Valley.  The roads are all either in city driving, expressway, or straight and flat for miles and miles.  Not worth the trouble it took to get the Trike down here.

• Sad 1
  • Surprise 1

Mountain Rider

Ordered up a set of replacement Honda fairing badges for the Aspy.  The plating on mine has gotten pretty bad.  Also got the windshield garnish cleaned and ready to go off to the powder coater.   Leslie commented tonight that at the rate I'm going, I won't want to sell the Aspy when the time comes, because I'll have it looking so nice.  I just kinda smiled, I guess there's really nothing wrong with having two "Wings".  :wink-sm:

• Like 1

NC Aspenwing

Mountain Rider tell her you need two wings,

One for short rides and one for long rides!

Indianawantsme

While Wing is apart for computer reflash again i thought i would run some wires and install these clearance lights that were just sitting here. They are from Harbor Freight Led tail light kit and didn't put them on my trailer so I figure they are FREE add ons for the Wing.  They are zip tied in place. 4 little leds in a row that are right in the middle of each one. 

Couldn't get a decent pic of them lit up.  Just a bright blur with my cellphone camera that lit up the reflector on front that has no bulb in it.   Looks completely different in person.  

I might see what a real camera does if i remember.

20180201_150051.jpg

20180201_144948.jpg

brianinpa

I spent some time in the basement working on main and piston rod bearing clearances.  I think I have everything ready to go together again, so now its time to clean/paint the engine cases and order some seals.

brianinpa
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:35 AM, Mountain Rider said:

Ordered up a set of replacement Honda fairing badges for the Aspy.  The plating on mine has gotten pretty bad.  Also got the windshield garnish cleaned and ready to go off to the powder coater.   Leslie commented tonight that at the rate I'm going, I won't want to sell the Aspy when the time comes, because I'll have it looking so nice.  I just kinda smiled, I guess there's really nothing wrong with having two "Wings".  :wink-sm:

There is nothing wrong with having more than one.  It lets you work on one and ride the other.

AZgl1800

started it up, backed it out, let it idle and took a bunch of pictures of the GPS mount for some guys who needed to know what I used..... put it back, and Brrrrrr, it was 27* out there. froze my hands...

Indianawantsme

Installed the computer, put her back together and started her up and let it run without touching the throttle until the fans kicked in.  

Might be 1/4" of ice tonight since we are right in the middle of the worst part of the storm so no riding tomorrow. 

Was supposed to be 56F on Friday but they changed that to 52F but i will take it if i can get the rear Snow Control to dig it's way up through the yard. 

I might even try on Thurs. @ 40F  since the ground might be frozen yet.  

Really want to see if the new reflash fixed the stumble for good and hope it doesn't slowly come back again.

Monkeytrucker

I started ours on the way down to the shop and then forgot it was running.  After a hour and a half Estella turned it off when she came down to check on me.  Should have the battery charged and water out of the exhaust.  With the cold weather it should not have had a over heating problem.

AZgl1800

I thought about mine, does that count?  :)