Sign in to follow this  
fshrgy99

1500 issues

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

fshrgy99

Hi to Everyone. Hoping to become a regular contributor. I have been looking for a wing since last spring when I missed out on the '84 1200 I should have bought.

Since then I have been up and down through the models and years (interpret as prices) and intend to pick up an older low mileage 1500 this spring.

My last 'big bike' experience was a 69 Norton Commando and I have got the itch again.

I know each model and year has its' own issues and hope some of you experienced owners will comment on areas of concern with the 15's that I should be aware of.

Thanks

Smitty in Ontario

beenshot

:wave:howdy from Arkansas and welcome to the forum

Joep

Welcome from North TEXAS DFW area..... this question is best asked in the technical forums in the general forum..... the 1000's were not originally set up as touring pakages although you can find Vetter fairing equiped models.... the 1100 were the first with factory bags (while some remained "naked") from there the models morphed and evolved.. ask in the general discussion forums...

lucky_x16

Welcome to the forum from Central Illinois.

satan

I'm a fan of the pre-'93 or the '98 and up 150s. in '88 and '89 years the cam timing (exhaust duration) is a bit longer, but these years also use a smaller sized low-jet in the carbs which can be prone to contamination issues (a little dirt changes the value of a little jet more than the same dirt on a larger jet). This issue with the carbs ('88-'89) msnifests as a notible stumble off-idle (when accellerating) and/or an inability to hold idle without additional fuel (choke-enrichment) -- the inability to hold idle can appear in any of the 1500s if the carbs have become sufficiently fouled as well.

Also, I do not like the special emissions stuff for the USA California spec 1500s -- the bikes are already older, and finding the 2% parts can lead to some headache (probably overstated since there are not too many changes, but the variences can be maddening at the "wrong " moment.)

I happen to be a fan of the wider body style 1500 (about '94 they narrowed the panels and also cut heigh and a little width outta the saddle) -- with a 37" inseam and a 6'3" frame, bigger works. Conversely, the "narrower" bikes may better fit others.

The latter years did have some issue with inferior alternator assemblies, at a trade-off for using some heavier driveline parts and the corrected shift-fork (for less worries) - A SIMPLE trade-off in my mind, I'd rather replace/rebuild an alternator for less than $100 than spend a few hundred more spreading the engine-case accross my garage to swap a shift fork (easier and more economical to swap engines in most cases, so that can be factored into decisions if you find a sweet mid-year model).

Remember that you cannot add a reverse if it's not already there... and adding the OEM CB can run into a few hundred dollars quite easily.

Now hurry-up -- buy and post photos :) (oh yeah, and ride it to & post pics of that ! :)

Welcome on -- a thousand voices here; each with unique thoughts and opinions -- Safe searching and happy rides to follow , I hope.

AspectTwo

:wave: Welcome to the forum from Central Arkansas! Glad to have you aboard!

plskthompson

Hello and welcome from middle Tennessee. :wave: