Sign in to follow this  
Devans

What a day

126 posts in this topic Last Reply

AspectOne

all good news to me I think bro.

Bamaeagle

WOW..!!!!

Sorry to read the news Dean. I am glad he is doing better though. Prayers are coming all the way from Angola.

lucky_x16

Any Updates Today Dean?

devansgirl_m

They are fitting him now for a back brace. They need to do this in order to get full 30, 60, & 90 degree angle X-rays. They said it will take a couple of days to get it made before they are able to do anything. He is still in some pain but they are trying to manage it better. So I guess we really won't know much more for a few days. I'll have dean post more when we get home. He is still getting info from his sister

Devans

The Chief Spinal Surgeon was just in... not really good news.

In a nut shell...

He will be paralyzed from the knees down. He says there is a 90% chance he will never walk or be able to drive without hand controls. He destroyed the lower potion of his back vertebra with did some damage to the spine, but even more damage to the nerves that control his bladder, bowels, and lower legs. He will be going in for surgery tomorrow to remove the broken bones...for pain relief reasons ONLY, the doc says it will not fix the damage that was done. Once nerves are torn apart or damage it is done, there is no fixing them.

John is a very stubborn and strong man so we are hoping that with therapy, he will be able to walk again. Our boss in Tucson had no feeling from the knees down and was able to walk. He was no ballerina, but he did walk unassisted.

Prayers for Johns surgery tomorrow and for John are welcome. He has already said he will not live this way so we do worry about the outcome.

Thanks everyone for the support so far. We really do appreciate it. We are going to grab a quick bite to eat and make the 1 hour trek back to the hospital tonight, to be with my sis. She is a strong lady but I know she really needs to let it all out at some point.

lucky_x16

I know I do not do it often enough.

But, let them know they are in my prayers.

FirstCavArmyVet

Just got to read this. Jesus what a mess. Glad he is able to move his toes. That is a positive sign. Brandi and I are praying for him. If there is anything else we can do let us know.

beenshot

ya'll are in our thoughts and prayers, daily. i hate that he is going to have some permanent damage.

the old saying "time heals all wounds" is not exactly correct, but with time, it will get easier to manage with it.

i hope that he can stay focused on the things that really matter, Family and Friends. the strength of family love and the power of true friendship can pull you through even the darkest of days.

AspectOne

You know manytimes the docs are wrong about this sort of thing bro....

Hang in there.

A1

devansgirl_m

John is a strong New Yorker with the same strong temper and attitude. I have faith that he will have enough determination to walk again. At least that's what I'm praying for.

AspectTwo

We share your prayers for this one! Like you guys have said, and others, what the docs say clinically is going or not going to be possible is not always the end result due to determination, strength, and a little extra intervention. He moved his toes on command yesterday. That's a good sign. A whole lot to deal with all at once and especially from 100% to this due to an accident, but things change over time that the docs don't predict sometimes.

Devans

Just back home. He is holding in there, but his spirits are very low after the last doctor visit. Just reason, I suppose, that is the last thing anyone wants to be told. John asked my nephew and I to move him tonight because he was uncomfortable. I wasn't real sure of doing it in the first place, but we did it anyway. Big mistake! Moving caused his back to go in to spasms...he started screaming out in pain and then began throwing up. Throwing up made the spasms worse :doh:. I ran out and grabbed a nurse. Apparently John has been refusing pain meds all day so he was more than vulnerable. My sister told him he WAS going to get some pain meds, so the nurse popped a valium in him. 10 minutes later he was out. God I felt terrible seeing him in such pain, pain that I helped create. John is a born an raised New Yorker. He is a very strong minded man, and a very powerful man. To see him in this condition is just terrible.

I pray that the surgery tomorrow will relieve his pain!

I feel so bad for my sister. She is trying to be strong and not show emotion but I know this is tearing her apart inside. Hell she wouldn't be human if it wasn't.

So tomorrow the doc is doing the surgery. He said he figures it will take anywhere from 6-9 hours.

AspectTwo

Hang in there Dean. You just tried to help him. The problem is that he feels certain stuff right now - like uncomfortable - and just thinks a little adjustment will help. Just as you said, he's vulnerable and not used to being in that state. He's gonna have to listen to the docs and nurses until he's in a more stable condition. His body is just going thru alot right now. Don't blame yourself or your nephew in this one. You were trying to do well for him - he knows that.

Your sis, yeah. She'll probably break down sometime later but for now she's on point and is bucking up as the strong one. That's commendable! Just a "good job Sis" probably would help support her right now. You know that she's gotta be scared to death for him and herself/family, but she's in since he's hurt. Good job Sis! :clap::clap:- what I have to say about it.

We all take it for granted until we're in the situation. Again, they went from being 100% to this very quickly due to the accident. It will take time to adjust for everyone. Accidents happen and it just sux. In a minute we can lose what is our "normal" life.

Very good lesson for us all to appreciate what is our "pained and normal existence"!

Devans

I know Berta, and I thank you. I have told my sis many times that she is doing a great job with him. We are a very close family and when one of us hurt we all hurt. Seeing her crying tonight just tore me apart! i want to make things better for her. All I can do is be there for her and give her a shoulder to cry on.

She is very concerned about the family and the "what happens now". John was an ex Police Detective and Drug Task Force Agent. He recently retired (6 months to a year). Although his pension is very healthy and they have great insurance she is still concerned. We are getting with Donna's Aunt tomorrow. She is a fundraising Queen. I have to do what I can to help. This is one thing I can do for her and John and it will be done.

lucky_x16

How is he doing today?

Devans

This is an update I just received from Laurie (my sis)...

Today has been really rough for John. He is in more pain that he has been. He is unable to roll to his side today, due to the severe pain. The Dr. has John heavily medicated today to try to help with the pain. John still has no feeling to his lower legs. U of I did have a custom made brace made for John's back, which arrived today and will possibly be placed after surgery tomorrow.

Speaking of surgery, John's surgery will be tomorrow morning at 6 a.m. The Dr. is saying that Laurie should expect 6 - 8 hours for the surgery. The Dr. is also saying that there is a possibility of placing leg braces on John after surgery.

John is of course very depressed right now trying to come to terms with what has happened and trying to deal with the pain.

beenshot

i would expect some depression, but in a few days when they get some repairs done and the pain gets properly managed, he should start to pep up some.

"WHY DID THIS HAPPEN TO ME"

"WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS"

these are questions that everyone has, i know that i asked them a lot. i never realized an answer to these questions, but i did finally realize that it was just an accident with no real cause or purpose.

Devans

[user=1606]beenshot[/user] wrote:

i did finally realize that it was just an accident with no real cause or purpose.

This is exactly what I told my sister .

Devans

John is now in surgery.

The Dr. says that he will be face down through the surgery so facial swelling is expected. Due to that, he will remain on the breathing machine until the swelling goes down. He will be placed in ICU after surgery and kept sedated until sometime tomorrow.

They are expecting it to take 6 hours to complete.

beenshot

prayers from arkansas

Devans

Update from Sis...

John is out of surgery. The surgery lasted over 7 hours.

John's arms, legs, hands and face are very swollen, which they expected, but they were able to remove the breathing tube. He is still unable to move his lower legs but there is always hope now that the surgery is over. The Doctor says they have to be very ca...reful, because of all the anesthesia he has received, and his heart rate keeps spiking over 160, so they are not giving John any pain meds until he is past the critical stage.

lucky_x16

Glad to hear he made it okay through the surgery.

beenshot

[user=650]lucky_x16[/user] wrote:

Glad to hear he made it okay through the surgery.

yes, it can only get better.

AspectTwo

That's GREAT news Dean....was worried with such a long surgery and never good when they're playing around with your spine. Thanks for the update!

Devans

So John is having a tough time after surgery. From being face down and at a 30 degree angle his arms, hands and face all swelled up. This was expected. The problem is as John is coming out of the anesthesia he is starting to panic thinking that he is paralyzed from the neck down. Due to the length of the surgery and the amount of the anesthesia he had he is still real groggy and does not have much strength. The swelling in his arms is making it nearly impossible to move his arms. My sister says he is freaking out and becoming very aggressive and accusing everyone of hiding something from him.

On a positive note...when asked what his pain level was on a scale of 0 - 10 he told the nurses it was 2.

He is still unable to move his lower legs, but we are definitely hopeful that in time, he will.

Our local paper contacted me today and I was able to get some information to them regarding the benefit we are putting together for John. This is great news because John is well known in this town and the publicity will definitely help with the benefit. Donna and I have never done anything on this scale so any hints or tips from ya all is greatly appreciated. :worthy:

Johns article in our local paper...

http://www.muscatinejournal.com/news/local/article_2b7c3e8c-24f5-11e0-86b7-001cc4c03286.html