Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Devans

What a day

126 posts in this topic Last Reply

Devans

Around 9am we hear on the scanner that someone has fallen out of their tree stand and the police are trying to locate him. They said he had his step son with him but he didn't know their exact location. After about 30 minutes of them searching with no luck, my sister calls me screaming and yelling that it is her husband they are looking for. :doh:

My sisters son had just moved back to town about a month ago and does not know the area at all. He knew the park they were at but not their exact location in the dense wooded area.

The police and EMT's searched for another hour while my nephew screamed to help them find them. They found them, finally, 2 miles from any drivable road. They attempted to use snowmobiles and ATV to get him out of the dense woods, but they were unable to get them in. They ended up carrying him, 2 miles, on a back board to the Ambulance.

He has no feeling from the waist down right now and he has hypothermia from laying on the ground for the last 2 hours. They are in route to the University of Iowa now.

The good thing is that my BIL was a Detective and former Drug Task Force agent so as soon as the word hit the PD and Sheriff Department they had every Officer in the county and city there helping him. :clap:

I'm waiting now for an update from my sister.... will keep ya all posted.

toomanyfumes

Wow sorry to hear that, hope he's OK.

beenshot

glad they now have him out of the woods and on the way to some treatment.

my sympathy, hopes and prayers are with you. afterall, a hunting accident is what crippled me up and i certainly can relate to being carried through the woods on a board.

Devans

Just got back from the ER... for some ungodly reason they brought him to our local hospital rather than the University. This happened 20 miles from the University and 15 miles from town, so their illogical thinking makes no sense to me.:hmm:

The local hospital done CT scans and xrays and say his back is broken. He is paralyzed from the waste down right now.

They decided he was more than they can handle so now they are transporting him to the University...what a bunch of dumb butt's :doh:. They should have sent him there to begin with.:whip:

They loaded him in the ambulance and sat there for a minute. Then the Paramedic came back in and told the nurse that she knew it was illegal for him to sit there with a patient in the ambulance and he wanted those xrays NOW so they could leave... this is the mentality of our hospital:whip:

They were giving him pain meds but his blood pressure began to drop rapidily, so they took him off of those. He is in a lot of pain but stable at the moment.

Donna and I will be heading to Iowa City to the University as soon as my sis gets there and lets us know where he will be there. It is a huge place and I don't want to head up there blind.

Im pretty sure they have wifi there so I will update when I hear more.

Thanks for the thoughts

beenshot

thanks for the report

maestro319

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Dean.

AspectOne

Let us know... bert n I will watch forums....

A1

Devans

Thanks guys! Thank you Chris.

We are getting ready to head up now.

A little more info.. my nephew said when my BIL (John) feel he landed pretty much in a sitting position. The docs say that was probably the best way to land but unfortunately it pretty much crushed everything from butt to his lower back.

My sis is in Iowa City now and the docs tell her that he is definitely paralyzed from the waste down. They are hoping it is caused from the swelling and damaged and that after surgery and the swelling goes down, he will regain feeling. They are saying that this will take numerous surgeries to repair the damage.

Putt

Wow....Good luck to him Dean. And good luck to your sister and any family who will be spending time at the hospital.

It's good to know that he has family like you and Donna in his life.

Prayers will be said.

Rudy

Sorry to hear this Dean. I hope he does well.

ps... it's waist not waste. :whistle:

devansgirl_m

Just a quick update. We re t the hospital right now and our nephew came out and said he is starting to feel some pain in his knees and calves. Which I think is pretty good news. They are going to do spine surgery later on tonight. Thank pu everyone for the support. It is very much appreciated. Our friends ate the best. Dean is back there now talking to his sister so he should know more soon.

Devans_m

Ok so here is the latest. Doc says that the fractures r not the issue right now. He bruised his spine badly which is causing the paralysis. They r going to hold off on surgery right now. They said that removing the pressure will not help anything with the spine so bruised. The spine is fine and not being compressed right now. He is moving his toes a little now.

More later

AspectOne

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

Devans_m

Yes very good news

jarhead

Thought's and prayers, from upstate NY.

Devans_m

So they got him in a room finally. The nurses could not even figure out what meds to give him. Of course I had to smart off that I was expecting a bear to come through the door balancing on a ball. Good lord

lucky_x16

Glad to hear he is doing okay.

What a hospital with no circuis bear?

Devans_m

The nurse makes up for the lack of bears.

lucky_x16

That is a good thing.

I was going to pick up a beach ball and see if I could borrow a fur coat.

I think I can still ballance a ball.

AspectTwo

FANTASTIC NEWS!! Sorry he feels pain but so glad he FEELS! Let us know. Thinking about you guys and prayers your way.

dwsonar

We're all rooting for him. Keep us posted.

Devans

We made it back home. What a mess the roads are.... it has been raining, sleeting and snowing all day.

Anyway, he is able to move his legs, albeit very painful. But, that is very good news. He still has little sensation in them but the doc says that is due to the back fracture and the bruised spine along with swelling.

They are going to wait until tomorrow to see how well he does and to see if the spine swells anymore. They said that if the spine swells anymore than it is, they will have to do surgery on it tomorrow. They were also talking about some kind of compression injury to the spine :baffled: I am assuming from the way he landed and the force of the landing. He is not a small man - 6'5" and about 275lbs.

We got more info on the way it happened, if interested, read on....

John climbed up the ladder to the tree stand. He had removed 2 legs of the stand and was trying to remove the 3rd and last leg. He pulled on the leg but it did not come out of the tree, so he pulled a bit harder. When he did this, the strap at the top of the ladder, that holds the ladder to the tree, broke. My nephew said John was still on the ladder but it was pulling away from the tree, slowly. The only thing holding the ladder to the tree was now the one bottom strap. It snapped and the ladder let go with john riding it down, back first, into the ground. He landed on some sticks and branches at the bottom of the tree. probably better than frozen ground, I suppose :baffled:

lucky_x16

Glad to hear he can move his legs. It is really a good sign.

Joep

Any new updates Dean?.... I know he is in pain and well wishes to a speedy recovery..... :looking::looking:

Devans

Nope... thats it for tonight. They done another ct scan and MRI but we wont know anything until the docs come in in the morning. For now he is heavily sedated and resting.