Sign in to follow this  
MajicMrEd

I think my ignition control unit is bad

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

MajicMrEd

1985 Aspencade 1200

I think my ignition control unit is bad, and the cause of not getting spark on two cylinders, the coils check out and the pulse generators check out and I believe we have narrowed it down to the ICU. But hey are pricey and I would like to know if that is the cause of my problem. Does any one know of a for sure test. Or do I just have to trust my Honda Dealer to run a diagnostic on it ???

The manual says the only way I can test it is through the process of elimination.

I have yet to hear life out of this drive way find. Don't want to put a bunch of money into the carbs until I get some fire for the fuel.

Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

Ed

lucky_x16

I would start by tracking wires first.

You checked your pulse sending units up front where your timing belts are?

I would run those wires all the way back and look for and repair any breaks. Clean connections along the way as well.

If you know the P.O. try asking them what the last piece of maintenance was that was done to the motorcycle, and if he/she did it or hired it done.

MajicMrEd

PG's check out good when we switch the coil input wires the dead cylinders follow the move. so the coils are good. we replaced the pulse generators and they are good we have checked for voltage and they check good. Have checked all related wires no luck.

It seems all that is left is the P.G. S

AspectOne

sound right.

MajicMrEd

Correction I ment to say all that seems to be left is the ECU,

And a question could a bad ECU affect just 2 cylinders and leave a spark in the other two?

Ed

lucky_x16

I honestly do not believe so.

One side is pulsing and one side is not?

Check your vacuum tube. that runs in front of your breather.

MajicMrEd

there is a vacuum tube that comes out of the ecu is that the one you are talking about?

Ed

lucky_x16

Yes, it runs about 4-6 inches and goes in to a "t" coupler.

Check that entire line.

MajicMrEd

Would that line give pulsating vacuum or a steady vacuum ??

lucky_x16

You know for the life of me, I can honestly say, I do not know if it pulses of if it did pulse my fingers at the time of my restoration could tell if it did.

I do know that it will not advance with out that vacuum tubing sealing correctly.

Have you checked the vacuum tubes yet?

MajicMrEd

No I have not My plan was to obtain a spark on all cylinders and then invest the money in a carb rebuild I went out in the garage last night 19 degrees out there and checked that line it is lose from everything I had no idea that it was necessary to have them all hooked up to get spark. If that is the case then I guess I should proceed as if I do have spark and work on the carbs and put it back together expecting it to fire up.

Thanks you have been a great help

Ed

Starfleetengineer

It is not nessasary to have the vac advance to the ecu hooked up to have spark on all 4 cyls. Whirch cyls are dead? Have you checked the plug wires themselves or the resistors in the plug end of the wire? Do you have power to both coils? I can tell you a trick to check the ecu to coil wire to see if you have a signal for it to fire.. Answer what you can.

Rick

MajicMrEd

Rick

I ran the test checking the ohm resistance according to the Honda manual. If I did it right then they test good within the parameters suggested by the manual. For the coil the coil wires and the coil caps. I switched the wires to the back of the coils and the dead cylinders followed the move.

I checked for voltage at the connection for the pulse generators and they checked with in suggested limits.

I would welcome any and all info or suggestion you can send my way I really want to get this thing running. As it has never been running since I bought it and am willing to follow any and all well informed suggestions to make it run. I am just at the end of my ability to diagnose the problem. And in fact not even sure of a practical plan of elimination. So if you could help me or send me toward an answer suitable for (1200 Gold Wings for Dummies)I would very much appreciate it.

ED

Starfleetengineer

If I under stand you right, you move the plug wire and then that hole is dead. Is that right? If it is, then that wire or resister is bad. Remember that you have 2 coils. 2 coils with 2 coil wires each. When a coil fires a wire, it also fires the other wire on that coil. This is called waisted spark. Let me know if this is whats happening when you move the plug wire.

[user=2505]MajicMrEd[/user] wrote:

Rick

I ran the test checking the ohm resistance according to the Honda manual. If I did it right then they test good within the parameters suggested by the manual. For the coil the coil wires and the coil caps. I switched the wires to the back of the coils and the dead cylinders followed the move.

I checked for voltage at the connection for the pulse generators and they checked with in suggested limits.

I would welcome any and all info or suggestion you can send my way I really want to get this thing running. As it has never been running since I bought it and am willing to follow any and all well informed suggestions to make it run. I am just at the end of my ability to diagnose the problem. And in fact not even sure of a practical plan of elimination. So if you could help me or send me toward an answer suitable for (1200 Gold Wings for Dummies)I would very much appreciate it.

ED

klwatts

Which cylinders are dead? Is it the front (1 & 2) or the rear (3 & 4)?

Attached files 107918=3261-4 Cylinder Wing Coil Wiring.jpg

MajicMrEd

If I remember right it would be either 2&4 or 1&3. I am pretty sure that is the way it was.

Now I don't think there is fire on any of the cylinders.

Ed

Starfleetengineer

If you can, go to the auto parts store and pick up a spark tester. You install this inbetween the plug wire and the spark plug. You will be able to see a spark inside it if the cyl is fireing. Once I know which cyls are and are not fireing I can tell you more on what to check.

Rick

MajicMrEd

Cylinders 1 and 2 No spark

Cylinders 3 and 4 spark

Starfleetengineer

Ok. Now make sure you have power going to the coil. I will have to get my book out in order to tell you the wire color, but with the key on, one wire should be hot. The other wire is the signal wire from the ECU. I think that wire is yellow with blue tracer. If you backprobe that wire with a test light and try to start the engine, the test light will flash. If it flashes that means that the circut from the ecu to the coil is working. If not there is a problem with the ecu. If it flashes the problem is with that coil or it can be both coil wires or their resisters are bad. To test the wires and resistors you will need an ohm meter.

I hope I have explained this well. I have had two Percocets and I'm not thinking too clearly. It sucks when you have a stroke! I wish we lived closer and I could just come look at it. I can walk you though it. Do you have a 1200 manual? If so which one is it? Since I am off work till the doc. tells me I can go back, I'll have alot of time to help you....

Rick

Cylinders 1 and 2 No spark

Cylinders 3 and 4 spark

MajicMrEd

Rick

No Flash found another ECU off running bike got spark from all four cylinders now. Pulled the carbs today put coils back in place mounted every thing ECU, etc. back where it belongs.

My plan now is to rebuild Carbs put new spark plug wires on caps and all resisters remount the gas tank hook up fuel pump add fresh gas and pray for a start so I can adjust the timing.

Also will replace timing belts.

Sound like a plan?

Thanks for all your help, I am sure I will be calling on you again as I am a long way from being finished with this baby.

Thanks again Ed

Starfleetengineer

I'll do what I can! Since I will be off work till who knows when... I got all the time in the world....I knew it had to be something easy!!!!!

Rick

Rick

No Flash found another ECU off running bike got spark from all four cylinders now. Pulled the carbs today put coils back in place mounted every thing ECU, etc. back where it belongs.

My plan now is to rebuild Carbs put new spark plug wires on caps and all resisters remount the gas tank hook up fuel pump add fresh gas and pray for a start so I can adjust the timing.

Also will replace timing belts.

Sound like a plan?

Thanks for all your help, I am sure I will be calling on you again as I am a long way from being finished with this baby.

Thanks again Ed

Starfleetengineer

Also!!! Take your time rebuilding the carbs!!!!! Clean the good and clean all the passageways. I rushed through mine and had to take them back out. Make sure you put the same size jets back in.That was also a problem! When you change the belts. Check yourself 2 or 3 times to be sure they are on the money! Don't spin the engine over without the belts on it. The pistons will hit the valves!

Good Luck,,,, I'll be around

Rick

plskthompson

Just my 0.02 worth here, but if you haven't already gotten the carb kits, check out www.randakks.com He is a goldwing guru and has some of the best kits around. He also sells a step by step video to help with the rebuild.

MajicMrEd

That is what I have heard and I will go that rout and do it once.

Thanks for all your help I will be in touch.

Ed