Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Roleketu

Links to Poorboy's Alternator Conversion information . . .

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Roleketu

Greetings,

First, I asked and received permission from Dean before making this post. I was concerned about linking to another Goldwing site and seeming like I was trying to take away members from this site.

Second, I've noticed many posts here about the charging system on the GL1200 models. Some are new to the 1200's and aren't aware of the weakness of the stator system and why their voltage drops. Many posts ask about the Poorboy alternator conversion, how much it cost, how hard to convert, how to order, and what alternator to use, etc.

Instead of repeating a wealth of information on this board, I recommend reading the boards at Gl1200Goldwings.com. Specifically, the section in Tech Center called, CHARGING SYSTEMS AND CONVERSION ALTERNATORS. Most all of your questions would probably be answered there. I was new to Goldwings just a wee bit a year ago. I read this site, Steve Saunder's and GL1200Goldwings. Most all my upgrades and repairs are from the people that currently ride and work on their GL1200s.

As a owner of a GL1200 I'm so glad I made the Poorboy conversion. I'll never yank the motor to swap out a stator that might go ten years or ten miles before it fails. There are plenty of photo step by step instructions on what to do.

Good Luck.

ohiobrent

Have seen pics of Poorboy conversion and not all are very good. My buddy has his bile up on the rack-alternator purchased and Poorboy just arrived. He claims that there is still some modifications to do to get proper fit/alignment? Anybody else seen a need to modify brackets etc? No further instructions came along w/Poorboy kit.

AspectOne

Thanks for the information... much needed.

A1

Roleketu

Part of the concerns from Dean was not to make too many links so members' don't end up going back and forth between sites. That's why I mentioned reading the section "CHARGING SYSTEMS AND CONVERSION ALTERNATORS".

Ohiobrent, I really want to help you through your concerns and issues you and your friend are having during the conversion. I think there are excellent photos posted. First, Poorboy's Instructions are posted with lots of members' posting different modification ideas and instructions getting updated. Read the complete post for best results. And I posted my conversion photos here.

I haven't heard that anyone has had to modify the brackets. Some do different stuff like using a pusher fan on the outside of radiator instead of modifying the OEM fan or how to form the lower fairing.

If you are still having issues that you think Poorboy's brackets need modifying, please make a post with good photos on GL1200Goldwing site so we can all help you.

Old Gold

:watching: How much is one of those Poorboy kits not including the alternator? Does Poorboy sell them directly to individuals ?

ohiobrent

Hey Old Gold, The cost is $230. Yes Don will sell to individuals. Just e-mail him at..poorboy57@juno.com

On this forum you will see links by Rolotuko...great info w/pics. My friends job is now complete and he is pulling 14+ amps w/all his lights burning. We're also from n.e.ohio so feel free to keep in contact through your process....there are other helps, such as where to get alternator , belts etc.

Roleketu

Old Gold, follow my links in original post for info about getting the kit. The purpose of this thread was to give links to where you can get your answers about doing an alternator conversion on the 1200's.

ohiobrent, I can see the information helped you and your friend. Just a couple weeks ago when you posted I could sense the frustration. Now your posts about the conversion are quite upbeat. So glad it ended well for you. And it is nice to consistently get 14+ amps on the 1200.

ucboo

Has anyone had problems with the conversion on the LTD model? I had to extend lower bracket and now can not find the belt that I need.:baffled::surrender:

tricky

I dont have any dealings with the LTD but if you have the larger 3.5" pulley from poorboy, you may need to purchase a 4 rib belt and cut one of the ribs off.

NAPA 040315 4 rib belt for larger pulley

You will notice that this belt size is midway between the 31" and 32" 3 rib belts.

Just hang the belt on a doorknob and slice very carefully. This is done at the plant on various belts during production and will not hurt the integrity of the belt.

ucboo

Since the bike is feul injected I am having a clearence issue from other components of the feul injection. I will check out NAPA and see what I can find. Thanx for the info!

tricky

Not wanting to steal you away from this forum I do know that several members at gl1200goldwings.com have done the conversion on LTD's maybe check in and ask there.

It is always good to have access to all the great wing forums like this one and others.

fysty-1

I don't think that if a member here is loyal, then there is no way that they can be taken away from this great site. I have had baby 4.5 years and I started with Steve then Vic then Here then the Brit site & then the classic site. I read all my forums recent posts every day @ least twice daily. I love all my sites that I partake in.:clap::clap::clap::clap::woohoo::woohoo:

AspectTwo

Dean's not too hard to deal with....usually:smack:....:funny:

clapton1 put the conversion kit on our bike when he owned it and it works great! Chris has added lights, accessories, etc. without one worry. The 1200 with kit has given us the LEAST in electrical worries and NO problems of all of our GW's. Daveo430 had the bike apart for upgrades and maintenance earlier this year and said the stator was fine, so if there ever was an issue with it I guess we'd still be ok minus turning on some stuff.....but love that we can load it up!

CarlHiler

I have sussessfully done this upgrade and found a perfect pulley called an under running pully added to tunner cars. Perfect charge at an idle and not over rev Ill search for the site i purchaces it from cause the bore was perfect with the two sleves within 5,000 of an inch.

ommari

greetings guy \o/,

hey Roleketu, the links to the information in your post doesn't seem to link anywhere.

I keep getting  " Status code 404 - not found " while trying to link. since I can't read the info on my  poorboy alternator

I am wondering if there is a list of alternator's I can pick from to put on my 86 aspencade ? locations and prices.

ron