Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
vtxfrog

WELL THIS JUST SUCKS

78 posts in this topic Last Reply

Joep

Yeah goes along with he looked drunk and not able to have a test to back it up.. I would hate to get stopped and then be asked to get of my bike.. with my bike it ain't graceful and could lead to wrong conclusion..

plskthompson

I heard that.

satan

The ticket should be tossed based on the ordinance being too vague (some quantification for "heard at 35 feet", if not already in the ordinance would need to be added). It'd probably help to look at cite-law for this particular ordinance to see what other rulings have been made if the ordinance was challenged previously.

As far as fixing the ordinance, have you thought about contacting the local (or regional) Honda Sales folks to let them know that their bikes are not legal for use there in Elkhart? A little bit of weight will help to move things like this up the ladder in the City Commissioner's stack of "to do" items.

Often offering a viable solution (e.g. drafting a proposed ordinance yourself, or just copying one that is known to work well for some other community) can help to smooth things out. Handing city council folks a blank piece of paper is sometimes worse than living with the damage already done (my opinion). Helping to frame their thoughts and offering a starting-point can really help.

For example, the law in Denver (not too far from here) mandates that motorcycle pipes must have the Environmental Protection Agency stamp of approval for noise emission, and cannot produce more than 82 decibels of sound measured from 25 feet away. The rule is enforcibly specific, but I would offer that the "25-feet away" portion should be altered to specify in which direction (something like a 270* arc of 25' radius from exit-angle of the exhaust pipe outlet) to help ensure accuracy of measurement. Additionally, specification on measurement made at idle, and operating at 30mph driving past the meter should also be added; as well as some protection for deliberate flaring of RPM at idle (to protect against intentional and unnecessary noise making).

For my part - the City Council would be more willing to support a reasonable ordinance with clear definitions that also includes a discretionary section allowing for the enforcement of deliberate noise makers (not often used in the courts, but good for the politics involved)

There are some pretty good rules on the books, but Denver's is not a good example (not to mention, the 82dBA @ 25' is really tight and few would pass - this should either follow or reference the federal limit).

vtxfrog

[user=1136]plskthompson[/user] wrote:

Check with these folks, I'm sure they'd be willing to jump all over that.

well shot them a message about this crap going on awaiting a reply at this point but thanks for the link looking into joining the A.M.A.

mespock

Don't forget to wear a T-Shirt Stating ...

"Loud Pipes Save Lives" followed by God Bless America

Sorry Best Pic I could find at the time

loud_pipes_save_lives_tshirt-p2353392840

Perhaps the tide could be turning in the age old debate of "loud pipes save lives".

Earlier this month, with little media attention, legislators in the House of Representatives introduce a bill, HR5734, know as the "Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2008", which will require hybrid and electric cars to be more louder.

The bill, sponsored by Edolphus Towns (D-NY), and co-sponsored by 12 other representatives, says that such vehicles are so quiet, that they pose a risk to the blind, perhaps suggesting that the green energy cars heralded by environmentalists and big-oil protestors, may actually be silent killers.

According to the bill's text, it will require the Secretary of Transportation, to conduct a study to determine the most practical means of alerting blind persons of the presence of a hybrid or electric car, by providing similar audible information that one might receive from a combustion engine car.

And then once the study is complete, actually implement a regulation that will require all such vehicles to have this noise-making device installed.

vtxfrog

[user=25]mespock[/user] wrote:

Don't forget to wear a T-Shirt Stating ...

"Loud Pipes Save Lives" followed by God Bless America

Sorry Best Pic I could find at the time

loud_pipes_save_lives_tshirt-p2353392840

couldn't i just play with that one....... PLEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just a couple of minutes at least :yes: :yes: :yes:

vtxfrog

anyway got a resomse from the AMA today and they are starting a investigation on the matter but that is all i know right now....

the city attorney won't even answer me in either phone or mail soooo i don't have a clue what is going on but will keep you all updated as it moves along......

Bamaeagle

:watching::watching::watching:

mespock

Then get about 25 Harley Friends to drive by him ... first you .. then as he has you pulled over ... they drive by as your partner in crime films his reaction or lack of action ...

vtxfrog

[user=25]mespock[/user] wrote:

Then get about 25 Harley Friends to drive by him ... first you .. then as he has you pulled over ... they drive by as your partner in crime films his reaction or lack of action ...

won't do any good there rich the cop is a total jerk and doesn't care......

he even rides a full dresser with stright pipes on it....

he just doesn't care about anything but writing tickets and making the city money... point blank that is what he does and he make them alot of money doing it.....

Joep

Hmmm a vidoe of him riding with a dB meter visible,, from 35 feet away should be classic court fodder for selective enforcement of the law.. decent lawyer would have a heyday with that footage..

vtxfrog

yeh no sh!t..... might be kinda hard ever since the word got around that the cop has a louder bike than most..... to try and hind it he actualy took it out of state to a deal in upper MI. to try and sell it but no one wants it he is asking way to much for it

vtxfrog

well here i am.... i'm back......

It seems that i made a couple of coments in my post here that may have upset a few people..... they have been removed so if you read them you know what i am talking about and for those that missed if well you missed it and that is the end of that.....

and for the ones that i may have upset all i can say is if you realy knew me they were ment as coments and not ment to be construded as THREATS OF ANY KIND ....

the frog

Bamaeagle

WB Froggy!!!!!!

AspectTwo

WB Froggy! :banana:

beenshot

welcome back, Brian:banana:

Vegaswingnut

What, you left? What else did I miss? :baffled: I'm gone waaaaay too much!

vtxfrog

yep but no worries things are cooling on the home front will update all later on the sound trouble......:wave:

beenshot

i was getting ready to come up there and do a little frog giggin':rofl:

hope your fight with city hall goes well, keep us updated.

Hodgy

Frogs are such neat creatures aren't they. Really they don't cause to much trouble, as the sun sets you can hear them calling down in the hollow. They eat troublesome insects and make good bait for Northern Pike and Muskies.

And their tongue is so longggggggg, who would boot them out of bed.

W/B Froggy.

vtxfrog

[user=518]Hodgy[/user] wrote:

Frogs are such neat creatures aren't they. Really they don't cause to much trouble, as the sun sets you can hear them calling down in the hollow. They eat troublesome insects and make good bait for Northern Pike and Muskies.

And their tongue is so longggggggg, who would boot them out of bed.

W/B Froggy.

brian you need alot of HELP......

AspectOne

lol

DigbyODell

can you ever really get rid of frogs? :funny::funny:

vtxfrog

Well here is what is going on so far..........

went in to talk to the clerk and told them i wanted to fight the ticket and they said okay and they would contact me in a few months for a date they said maybe sometime in OCTOBER.....

maybe...... W.T.F.

so in the mean time i have found a preson willing to come out and we are going to do a DB test of the bike and video it and take that in to court as well ... and the guy who is coming out to do the db test is a asst mng. at my local radio shack not only does he sell them but also knows how to cailabrate them.

but still working on the local city council about this and more then a few of them are upset with what is going on......

clancyp

As a retired Cop i know from experience if you want to fight

the town hall A________ then you have to hit them below the

belt GET THE PRESS INVOLVED NOTHING WORKS BETTER.

Clancy

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,