Sign in to follow this  
Del Que

Goldwing or Electra-Glide ??????

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Del Que

Hello,

I just joined up and they say if I don't post within 24 hours they'll kick me out. They might kick me out anyway when they find out I don't have a Goldwing. But I want one, so I hope that qualifies me to join. I'd like to learn all I can about them in the meantime.

I'm riding an `06 Electra-Glide Ultra-Classic now, which is Harley's top touring bike. I have test ridden a Goldwing about three times in the last year and I am highly impressed. But I also love the Harley. No complaints there. So please tell me all the good and bad things you love and hate about Goldwings. I don't personally know anybody who rides one, so the only people I hear from are salesmen, who may or may not be completely honest. I'd like to hear about Goldwings from people who are not trying to sell me one.

Thanks....... Rick

detdrbuzzard

hello and welcome to NAGW del que. who did you ask before buying the harley? did you ride a harley before hand? i had a 1200 aspencade, bought it last year never rode one before. the first ride was home. all the wings i test rode last year were 1500s. got a 1500 this year first ride was taking it home. like you i had noone to ask and its one of the things that makes a forum great.my 1200 was real good the 1500 better. never rode an 1800

Devans

HI Del Que... we'd never kick you out becaused of what you ride. Its about riding not the bike you ride.

I started out on a 1200 aspencade. I loved the bike, the handling and balance. It seemed to have the power when I needed it. I really can not complain about the 1200 goldwing and say there was anything that I hated about it. The only problem that I know of on them is the stators on the 84-87 1200 goldwings. They have a life span of about 70,000 miles and whne I got mine it had 69,000 on it and the stator died. Luckly the dealer took care of it for me at no charge, but if you buy one private party, be very careful to make sure it has been changed. Its an expensive job ($1000-$1200) :surprised:

I have a 1500 SE now..... there is honestly not one thing I can say I dont like. There is more than enough power, much more room than the 1200, lots of great options that the 1200 didnt have, and a very comfortable ride. I have electronic cruise control, reverse, raiseable passenger footboards and more that Im sure Im missing.

Hope that helps you some.:wave:

Nightwing83

The main thing that i see is the reliability of the wing which is outstanding i have ridden with many riders and many different brand bikes the least amount of problems came from honda none from a goldwing then it went yamaha being the worst the main problem with the harley was the high matininece on a long ride on a trip to canada had three harley with us each one of them at least once had to stop and and work on it the sporty was a nightmare but the yamaha just flat died trailer that to next town and sold it not bragging but my goldwing didn't miis a beat plus had to carry the extra luggage from the yamaha the rider had to ride on the back of a kawasaki 900z1b for the rest of the trip hehe but I do say around town bike I like the way the sporster looks and the 2 cyclinder torque is fun to

Del Que

[user=555]detdrbuzzard[/user] wrote:

hello and welcome to NAGW del que. who did you ask before buying the harley? did you ride a harley before hand? i had a 1200 aspencade, bought it last year never rode one before. the first ride was home. all the wings i test rode last year were 1500s. got a 1500 this year first ride was taking it home. like you i had noone to ask and its one of the things that makes a forum great.my 1200 was real good the 1500 better. never rode an 1800

I did not ride my particular Harley before I bought it, but I had ridden others, so there was no big surprise. I rented one for a day a couple of weeks before I got it, but I had pretty much already made up my mind.

At that time I didn't really think much of the looks of the Goldwing. Being from kind of a Harley family and culture, it was Harley all the way. But I never rode a Goldwing. Now I have test ridden the the new 1800 Goldwing about three times and all of a sudden I think they're beautiful. I love the smooth power and the way they ride and handle. But I have only ridden one a few miles. For such a large investment, I would like to rent one and ride it all day, but I can't find anybody to rent me one.

I should have been more specific in my original post. I am mainly interested in the 1800. It's interesting to hear the reports of the the older models, but if I buy one it will be a new (or pretty new) 1800. That's the one I fell in love with.

Rick

Devans

I dont know about there, but here, if you go to the Honda dealer, they will let you take the loaner Goldwing for the day and see what you think of it.... maybe you could try something like that .:baffled:

One of the members here is Hatfield. He owns the honda shop here in town...give him a PM....you can also contact him through his website... he is listed in the Forum Sponsors lists on the main page.:COOL:

devansgirl
Welcome to the forum
[user=565]Del Que[/user]
565.jpg
:banana::banana::banana::banana:
:dance::dance::dance::dance:

Grand Goat

:wave:Hello...

Welcome to a Great Goldwing Forum from a Minnesota Winger. Ask all the questions you like, someone will have an answer or a suggestion to try.

15red.gif

Check out Eagle Rider, they rent Goldwings (1800s) and they are located all over the US. There is one located in Springfield, MO and Branson, MO.

http://www.eaglerider.com

detdrbuzzard

for got to mention that i rode a '02 harley my self. it belong tio a friend of mine. i didn't have it long because i have a pinched nerve in my neck and the vibration from the harley was too much for me to handle. started going numb on my left side and couldn't hold my head up. i would like to ride a newer harley with the rubber mounted motor though