Sign in to follow this  
nfldr

Pulse generator replacement '85 LTD

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

nfldr

Hello all...I need to replace the P/G's on my '85 Limited.

I was just wondering if the P/G's can be replaced without touching the timing belts??.

My belts were replaced last fall, so should be okay.

Thank you very much.

vtxcandyred
I replaced my belts and pulse generators at seperate times and I believe I left the belts alone when I did.

gort

Hi: gort here...make sure it is the P/G that are the problem... I was told that mine needed to be replaced by dealer...wrong... it turned out to be the 3 wire plug right next to battery was burnt....... just wire to wire them together and ride on...

x wing mech

Why are you replacing them? They can be removed without touching the belts.

neoracer

the pulse generators are located rightside valve cover area, they the underneath that cover which always wants to burn you in the summertime,i realize that this is an old thread but the next person looking for info will be able to find them,there is also a crank sensor which is located inside the cam covers

on the aspy they are called PG's,on the sei/ltd they are called cam sensors

TDarby719

Never ending confusion with the names people come up with for these sensors. Honda names it "pulse generator" for the (PS) pulse sensor that is under the front cover. Years ago someone put a cager's name on it as "crank sensor"(Ive even seen it called ignition sensor). The sensors on the back of the valve cover are also named "pulse generator" by Honda (GL/GR). These are for the spark advance integration of the computer based on the cam timing. Thus another cager name was used and they have been called "cam sensors". The non fuel injected models still refer to the sensor as pulse generator or "crank sensor" because the two units are aligned on the crank. (back of the 1984 and earlier / front of the 85 and later models).

Simplified: with the fuel injection system, these "pulse generators" act in basically the same manner to deliver spark timing based on the computer reading (PS) and the reaction of the motor (GL/GR). Any one of these going bad will affect the input to the computer and cause the motor to stumble and falter before stalling. So, now anyone seaching for terminology can have all these words tied into this thread. LOL.

bs175dths

Easy, take a look at a picture (from a manual or parts list).

The answer to the original question is YES, they can be replaced without touching the timing belts. (you can touch them if you wish, but they don't need to be removed to change out the whatever-you-want-to-call-them)

Guest Smooth rider

I know this is a very old thread but I now know about the sensors in the front and on the valve cover of may 85 limited. Now I need to know how to check both units. Thanks for the help