Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
Geezerglider

No more GWRRA!!!

81 posts in this topic Last Reply

David in the Woods

:doh:Soooo, is that the crux of the issue? DQ is the backbone of the GWRRA cult & the magic dust is really SALTPETER !!! :twitch:

Geezerglider
Our newly formed group has moved up. We've been meeting at Braum's. :doh: :funny::funny::funny:

Cactus_Jack

[user=1920]clancyp[/user] wrote:

Be careful Rudy i have heard about the Magic Dust that is

some bad stuff. I heard after only a small dosage of that

stuff you go into a trance and could be found wandering

around in a Harley shop with your credit card out

:funny::funny::funny:

David in the Woods

Braum's, eh? With triple dark chocolate, pecans, whipped cream, and a cherry on top!?!?

When is the next meeting?!? :banana:

AspectOne

:drool:

Tank4300

[user=1807]David in the Woods[/user] wrote:

Tank 4300 said "At our chapter we just ask if anyone objects and when they dont we open with prayer.."

So, Tank 4300, how would your group handle the situation if someone objects to an open prayer session?

Sorry it took me so long to answer you David.. And the answer is I dont know. That hasnt happened .. I guess if it did it would be time to move on. The wife and I just joined to find people to ride with.

David in the Woods

:doh: :baffled:

Braum's has good coffee and breakfast too.

And, hormone free milk, if you don't want your little girls growing breasts too early in life ...

I knew you were waiting to hear that! :ponder:

AspectOne

SAVE THE TATASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

David in the Woods

:doh:

What? Are you saying that this info is not worthy of fanfare & flourishes?!?

A real conversation stopper! :no: :surrender:

tazman

eMail sent to GWRRA, what do you think?

Greetings GWRRA,

I have been a member of GWRRA for a couple of years now and like some of the benefits like the Gold Book. However there are a few things that I believe are causing the decline in membership.

Many of your Chapters have become more of a social club than a riding club. This because of your stance that everything we do is based on dodging “legal liabilityâ€. Many of our rides are either not scheduled anymore because the leadership is afraid that someone might get too hot or get hurt on the ride and sue the Chapter. Many more are cancelled if the weather is not pristine. Your “leadership Training†sessions are to blame for this. And making these mandatory for future leaders is an insult and surely overstepping your bounds in my humble opinion.

I belong to a very active Chapter and we truly enjoy the friendship and fun we have socially but the whole purpose here was our love of the Honda Goldwing and the joy of riding them. The fact that we can ride with others of a like mind is all that much the better. But when we have to predicate the ride on everything being perfect, we miss out on a lot of fine riding time.

Education and safety are wonderful but so much emphasis is placed on them that we spent a good deal of our spring weekends (prime riding weather) sitting in classrooms instead of astride our faithful steeds. I realize you don’t dictate the timing of the classes but so much is made of it that it is prioritized in some Chapters over riding.

Another matter I have seen quoted a lot lately is your opposition to prayer in the meetings. While I don’t think I have to pray at every opportunity, there are many times when a majority [/b]of the members would like to share a prayer (sick or injured member or friend, addressing the safety of our troops, etc.). We are still SUPPOSED to be a country that rules by majority not wimps out to the demands of the minority to be “Politically Correct†(what a stupid idea that has proved to be). This is a situation that should be left to the individual Chapter and not even addressed by the National. It quite frankly is none of your business. Your moment of silence is a cop out.

I know this email will never see the light of day in print anywhere but I think it is important that these things be said. I suppose I will see by your response or lack thereof what your true commitment is to the members.

I will be publishing this email on several Forums to get feedback. I hope this will perhaps awaken a new spirit and renewed commitment on the part of the National that can be shared throughout the organization.

clancyp

Tazman

As far as i can see you got a point and a big one.

Go for it guy.I will stand with you.

Tank4300

Well said Tazman.. I like the way you think !!

pwhoever

Tazman

You might consider starting a new thread with that on the GWRRA message board. It would be interesting to see other comments on that.

David in the Woods

Tazman,

You seem to have voiced some valid, personal concerns and considerations. You are right ... if you are going to be a member, you should get some satisfaction/benefit of being a participating member. This includes being able to have input. Is the organization in existence to push its objectives and topics off on the membership, because "someone" has an agenda; or is it a living, breathing entity of many like-minded individuals that can shape/reshape their organiztion to better meet their collective need(s)?

Is GWRRA a sacred, ritualized, unbending body, or are there mechanisms for change and growth to meet changing needs and regional differences?

devansgirl

OK... I know what GWRRA stands for, but can someone fill me in on what it is and what they do?? I guess I just dont understand :CRAZY: Why do you have to pay "dues" to be a member and what are the "dues" for? What are the meetings for? Isnt that what the free forums are for? To meet new people and find friends and have people to ride with? :CRAZY: Please dont take this the wrong way, Im not trying to be a smarta** I just dont get it... We go to DQ and we dont belong.. We have great friends and people to ride with and we dont belong.. :baffled:

If someone could explain this to me I would appreciate it:watching:

AspectTwo

Well kiddo, we joined originally to find some folks to ride with that were GW enthusiasts. We never really found that real need satisfied with the GWRRA, but found our core riding groups on the forums.

We also joined to take advantage of the Roadside assistance program. They do have a good one on that point. We do have AAA Plus RV too which will do what is needed but only a number of times per year and with Chris' wishes for travel on antique bikes....well, you need a back-up! :funny: He called them twice on his way home today....that plus our call to tow Johnny's 1200 when he got the electrical problem bringing it home....what can I say....shoots our load with AAA for the year I think.

I guess I might renew, not sure yet.

AspectOne

Well done Taz,

Geezerglider

Very well said Taz! :clap::clap:

tazman

I originally joined the GWRRA when I started riding again with the purchase of my trusty old 1100. As many of you know I had undergone three back surgeries over the years and had been unable to ride for many years. The Goldwing was my ticket back to riding again.

I didn't know any riders to speak of and many of them were HD riders and had the HD attitude towards anything other than an HD in their group

I joined up and went to a meeting. We are fortunate to have a very active Chapter here locally and I have made some great friends through the Chapter as well as other Chapters in the area. We ride together a lot but because of the legal schmegal stuff most are "impromptu rides" so that the Chapter cannot be held liable for injury.

The Roadside Assistance is great and the GoldBook is a listing of members and Chapter leaders nationwide that offer assistance if you have problems in their area. I have seen this used and it is a great plan with real and generous people listed ready to help.

The Chapter also participates in many local charity events like the MS150 and the Ride for Kids along with other individual charities. This is good work and I am proud to participate.

That said, it has become more frequent that I ride with a small group out of the Chapter or another local Yahoo Group (Gateway Goldwings).

I don't see the relative benefits to the amount of dues but would not want to give up riding with my Chapter friends and doing the charity work. Therein lies the problem.

Geezerglider

In addition to the policy not allowing prayer, I had become pretty tired of all the "hooplah", i.e. local chapter rallies, short rides to eat, meetings simply for the sake of meeting, etc.

I think it could still be a good organization, but needs a major overhaul.

Rudy

Since I already replied to this over at SS, I'll copy it here as well...

As one who has recently resigned, I can say your observations are on the mark, IMO.

GWRRA has become a lot more about the 'organization' and much less about the original purpose.

It has become a monster of it's own making, keeping all the money it can get, and shareing none of it with it's chapters. All the chapters get from the org are more and more mandates. The meetings are more like going to bingo nite than anything to do with Goldwings and riding.

This is reflected in the parking lot where unless the weather is perfect, more cars than bikes will be out there.

For the most part the members are nice folks but you really have to assess what you expect and want from the groups to see if it is worth your time sitting there going through the same old agenda that you went through the month before and the month before that.

I found that there was little worth my time there anymore. I did like meeting folks there but I found I can meet folks while out riding without all that overhead. And without the cliques.

tazman

Sounds like we are on the same page Rudy. I love some of the folks I have met through the local chapter but the national is just getting too overbearing. You can't even be an officer any more unless you have completed the OTC. What is this a military state or what? I should be able to elect whomever I want in my own chapter.

tazman

[user=659]Geezerglider[/user] wrote:

In addition to the policy not allowing prayer, I had become pretty tired of all the "hooplah", i.e. local chapter rallies, short rides to eat, meetings simply for the sake of meeting, etc.

I think it could still be a good organization, but needs a major overhaul.

I agree with you Geezer. The "hooplah" is all OK for those that join for that reason I guess. But I joined to have fellow Wingers to RIDE with. The charity work is cool also. I love helping kids.I think it was and could be again an quality organization. But some folks need to realize they are not dictators.

tazman

>OK... I know what GWRRA stands for, but can someone fill me in on what it is and what they do?? I guess I just dont understand<

Hi Donna,

I hope some of this thread has helped you understand. If not maybe go to the GWRRA site and look up some Chapters after reading through their basic stuff. What I had thought and hoped it to be was similar to this Forum but local folks that you could ride with regularly. There are great folks that belong no doubt. But the main organization is making it hard to function. I am with Region E, Chapter Z here in Missouri.

http://mochapterz.homestead.com/

tazman

>Is the organization in existence to push its objectives and topics off on the membership, because "someone" has an agenda<

It would seem so David.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,