Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
mtwinger

Advice on a UP ride

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

mtwinger

Anyone have any suggestions on points of interest, places to stay, good roads............just about any thoughts would be helpful.

None of our group has been in the area before.

Thanks in advance

Devans

Ill probably sound dumb here, but what is an UP ride?

Cactus_Jack

Upper Peninsula Michigan

Joep

Yeah I was wondering about that and then I remembered something from waaaayyyy baaaacccckkk... that UP was not just a direction but a location!!

mtwinger

:doh:Sorry, should have been more specific in my question :scared:

Devans

...and now I know :COOL:

Bamaeagle

Meeee too....:COOL:

AspectTwo

Had some friends that lived up there for awhile and rode. They said most of the area around Sault Ste. Marie could not be beat for roads and scenary.

BACKON2

Any where you go in the UP you will have nice roads to ride. I suggest that you go up the the Keweenaw Peninsula which is north of Houghton / Hancock. Ride up to Brockway Mtn then down into Copper Harbour, there are alot of old mining towns in the area with alot of history and some great scenery. there are camp grounds and plenty of motels in the area as well. Then if you head east over to Big Bay, then down towards Munising and the Pictured Rocks state park, Then from there you could head to Sault Ste. Marie and see the Locks. Oh, and watch out for the Deer. Have a great trip and let us know how it went.

Joep

yeah good warning... we have had a few deer strikes on here.. please watch out for them.. ( then in hunting season go back and get ya one!!)

vtxcandyred
We took a ride through the U.P. last year. Stayed a little campground in Alanson Mi. Really small place but the nicest people. Cost fifteen bucks for the night. From there we headed throught the u.p. and into Wisconsin. Theres countless campgrouds both state and private. http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=1906484709456395121&q=campgrounds+in+alanson+mi.+michigan&hl=en&cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=81gWTOHOEISGyATl9aj_BA

yooperfan

I stay at the COUNTRY VILLAGE RV PARK in Ishpeming a couple of weeks during the summer. It's has easy access to the atv trail ( for my other toy) and the people are great. Tell them David, the ATVer from Il. sent you. You have to eat a pasty, a cudighi, potato sausage, and trenary cinnamon toast, all u.p. favorites. As for where to ride, after you cross any border into the u.p. , the good ride begins. I picked up a booklet that tells where all the bike routes are. I'll try to find and post again. If you know about the u.p., you probably know why I'm YOOPERFAN.

yooperfan

This may be too late for you to fully enjoy this year, but here is the web site for rides in the U.P. http://www.upcruising.com

yooperfan

This is really late, but try a UP trip now for the fall color tour. I'm heading there for the weekend (in a cage) and hope the timing is just right.

happy rider

I totally agree with BACKON2. The ride into Copper Harbour is great. High point of land nearby is great for beautiful sunsets. Safe riding

J42398

I run up to Copper Harbor ever year or two. The roads are in good condition. Make sure you are keeping it under control when going thru the woods. I have been stopped more than once in a bear jam. That is where the idiots stop to and slater their kids with honey and pose them next to wild bear cubs with mom sitting near by. True, city folk are so stupid.

The Houghton/Hancock are/is nice. Some cool side streets that make SF look flat. Just past there is an old mine and the Keweenaw Snow Thermometer. Http://pasty.com/snow/index.html

At Eagle River you have a choice of the forest or lake road. Both are amazing but make sure you aren't running to fast on either.

Copper harbor has a lot of junk shops and hotels. I think they only have 4 places to eat. There is a small chunk of virgin forest which is worth the walk. Also the beginning of HWY 41 is there. In addition there is Fort Wilkins. And Keweenaw Mountain Lodge is a must see.

I stay at either Fort Wilkins or Brockway Inn.

In the town of Gay there is a bar. (true)

While you are up there you MUST have a Pasty. While you are eating it read the info about Pasty history. You will also learn why Unions are so important. I can't recommend any place to get one. None I have had come close to moms.

yooperfan

So the UP has a gay bar.