Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
fysty-1

Heed help with wiring problem.

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

fysty-1

I recently tore all the wiring that was done for me out of my trailer project due to sloppy connections & dangling wires. I bought a new wire set from a Marine co. that was manufactured by Wesbar. It came with 2 four prong flat plugs. The female is the the vehicle side and the male the trailer side. The Trailer harness is split to allow easy hook up of side marker lights. So far I have had no problems & thanks to the wiring instructions supplied by Wesbar, all lights work great. No comes the problem.

One of the products that I just bought was a 4 pole trailer plug (male & female) made by Cole-Hersee. This plug is exactly what I was looking for. Now when I went to hook it up to my homebuilt trailer, I ran into a problem. The harness that I had purchased from Discount Marine has a dual 4 prong plugs with a 4 wire vehicle side but has a 7 wire trailer side. Now I followed a normal wiring diagram but as it turns out I used the wiring diagram from Wesbar to wire my trailer. Wesbar had split the wires for the application of side marker lamps. I thought that it would just be a simple connection to the Cole-Hersee unit by matching wh - wh, gr - gr etc. Can you sort this mess out for me? here are how the Wesbar plug are wired.

Vehicle side ( female) White (gnd) Trailer side (male) White (gnd)

Brown Yellow/white

Yellow Green/white

Green Brown/green

Yellow/brown

Green

Yellow

:ponder::ponder::ponder::scared::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Devans

This is the way I would do it...

Devans

The way I see it the yellow/white and green/white are the grounds for the left and right lights.

The brown/green and yellow/green would be the running lights for the left and right lights

and the yellow and green would be the left and right turn/brake.

fysty-1

Thanks Dean. That makes perfect sense. Angela.:clap::clap:

Devans

Your very welcome.. let us know the outcome....

:watching:

Perhaps hook a battery to the new plug to light the lights before connecting it to your bike, for testing.

plskthompson

A little off topic here, but how do you get around the turn signals being on a different circuit than the brake lights?

vtxcandyred

[user=1136]plskthompson[/user] wrote:

A little off topic here, but how do you get around the turn signals being on a different circuit than the brake lights?

Or run seaprate lights for each function.

Joep

[user=836]vtxcandyred[/user] wrote:

[user=1136]plskthompson[/user] wrote:

Or run seaprate lights for each function.

my thoughts.. and using a flat 5 for mine..

Rudy

One thing I have found to be very useful is to buy two extra sets of connectors. Take one and make a 10' extension cable out of it. (M > F)

That way you can work on the lights and see them too.

The other set of connectors I use to put one foot pigtails on them so that if another bike needs my trailer or I want to run another trailer (or work on one using my bike), I already have half the connection ready to be jumpered to the mating connector.

fysty-1

Thanks to Dean & the others here I got my wiring problem with the trailer fixed only to find that there is a problem somewhere in the wiring between the bike mounted plug & the modulater that came with the Voyager kit. When I plugged trailer into bike, everything worked except the L signal light. When I double checked the trailer with a battery, all lights worked so now I have to try & find a new break in amonst all the wiring on the bike.:doh::doh::surprised:

Joep

good luck on the "short" hunt..( maybe an open hunt) but a hunt non the less.....