Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
Devans

Another harbor freight trailer

36 posts in this topic Last Reply

Devans

I bought a harbor freight trailer from Keithg64 today.

We rode over to Geneseo, Ill and picked it up this afternoon. These pictures are the before...

1_152307_080000000.jpg

1_152307_080000001.jpg

For starters, I wanted the tongue extended 10 inches. From doing one of these before, I knew that I could just move the center frame rail forward to the next set of holes, and it would give me the 10 inches needed to mount a cooler rack.

1_152310_190000000.jpg

Next I redone some wiring on it and added some heat shrink to the rear tail lights so the colored wires were not exposed.

Next it was a trip to Menards to pick up primer, paint, rubber under coating and some outdoor carpeting. We got the frame taped off and primed in no time..

1_152307_090000002.jpg

Next we spayed 2 good coats of Rustoleum gun metal hammered paint on it.

1_152307_090000003.jpg

We also got the deck carpeted and the rubber under coating sprayed on it.

1_152319_540000000.jpg

1_152320_110000000.jpg

Thats it for now. We will get it back together tomorrow after getting the topper cleaned up a bit. Ill post more pics tomorrow...

lucky_x16

It looks promising.

AspectTwo

Looking pretty good....like a different set-up from the before pics!:clap::clap:

fysty-1

Looking good Dean. I spent a liitle time on mine today. A friend built me that axle & fenders but they looked way out of scale.919_080209_340000001.jpg And he left wiring all dangling. I just got a nice set of plastic fenders for the 13" wheels, new wiring & tailights. I installed the tail lights last week & covered all the wires. And today I stared to mount the fenders.919_080209_320000000.jpg These 2 pics are the way the trailer looked when we finally got it rolling, but as I said I wasn't really happy with the out come. The frame is made up out of 2" square tube in an A-frame design Axle is 1" with Dodge moni van hub & 13" wheels. More pics to come.

Again nice looking trailer Dean.:wave::wave::wave::woohoo:

Joep

yeah Dean nice project you have going... more pics please

Devans

Its starting to rain AGAIN... so Ill be out doing some more work on the trailer today. More pics to come... :watching:

Devans

So we have more stinking rain all day today.. :eyeroll: but it gave me the time to get the trailer put back together. I didn't do anything special or fancy with it. I had more plans for it but as it turned out I actually bought another trailer yesterday. While I was painting this one Ghostrider called me and said that he had just bought a Magneta trailer for me, which I have been really wanting.

So I sold this one to my brother, this morning, (sorry Chris and Berta :scared:) and I am going to pick up the Magneta this week sometime or over the weekend.

Here is a before and after...

1_161529_550000000.jpg

And a couple of the finished product.

1_161523_460000000.jpg

1_161523_460000001.jpg

Ghost Rider 2

Mr Big bucks. Trailers everywhere. So many that he even stores them out of state. In my shed no less. Hey guys what is the going storage rate per day??? lol

Devans

I should be charging you for the honor of storing that beauty in your shed... :rofl:

Cactus_Jack

[user=651]Ghost Rider 2[/user] wrote:

Mr Big bucks. Trailers everywhere. So many that he even stores them out of state. In my shed no less. Hey guys what is the going storage rate per day??? lol

$25.00/ day :scared::scared::scared:

Ghost Rider 2

:banana::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you Jack. As soon as I collect from Mr Money I will send you a cut.

lucky_x16

[user=651]Ghost Rider 2[/user] wrote:

You should post a picture of this beauty?

keithg64

Wow Dean that trailer came out nice, hope your brother likes it and I hope you get the other on soon.

Devans

Thanks Keith... It turned out pretty good I think. Id really like to have kept it, but Jerry had to go and tease me with the other one. :tap:

Devans

Cactus_Jack

How come I think the one you sold to your brother was bigger?

Devans

The "trailer" itself is bigger, but the carrying capacity is virtually the same.

vtxcandyred

[user=1]Devans[/user] wrote:

31293_1479743313074_1218512706_31425985_

Good looking trailer there mister. So what kind of mechanics seat is that puppy sitting on?????????

Devans

So with the new trailer having really low tail lights, I wanted to mount something a little higher for better visibility.

See how low they are....

1_221747_210000001.jpg

I went to Auto Zone today and picked up this double pack of LED lights for $14. They have a chrome base that the light snaps into. I don't want them to light as running lights, just brake lights so single LED's were fine with me.

1_182235_050000000.jpg

My first problem with mounting a brake light to the top lid of the trailer is that the top is not hinged. To open the top you have to unbuckle the 4 latches and completely lift the top off. I never liked this and have been brain storming on how to hinge this thing. It seems easy enough but if you look at the pictures, the top has a 1" lip on it the sits on top of a 1/2" lip on the bottom half of the carrier.

After over a month of trying different things... complicated things.... I went back to my first idea which was a very simplistic way of doing it, but for some reason I passed it up. Drill 2 small 1/8" holes through the back lip through the bottom lip and "thread" 2 key chain like rings through it... Here is a visual, incase I lost you...You can see the small black "ring" running through the buckle connection. (the yellow is now scratches, it is the lighting, incase you were wondering :yes:)

1_182234_050000001.jpg

As you can see from the above picture, of the rear of the trailer, there are 2 buckles on the back. I removed the center bolt on both sides and drilled through the bottom half of the carrier. This creates a rocking point for the top. It works GREAT and opens smooth as glass with no binding. Once the buckles are connected, you can hardly tell the "rings" are even on there. Here are a couple shots with the lid open and the rear of the trailer to show how well the "rings" are hidden...

1_182234_050000002.jpg

1_182234_050000000.jpg

OK, so the top hinges now so now I can add my LED brake light with out worrying about ripping the wire out every time I remove the top. I was going to put 2 lights on the trailer, one on the right and one of the left. To be honest, it looked a bit tacky so I decided to just use one and place it in the center so it looks similar to a 3rd brake light on a car.

For this I just removed the LED from it chrome base and drilled a hole through the back of the base so the wires ran straight through the back of the base and into the trailer. I then hot glued the small wire to the inside of the trailer and drill a small 1/8" hole through the bottom of the trailer and tied the wires in to the brake light wiring, already on the trailer. It works great and it is extremely bright when you are standing behind the trailer.

Here is the end result....

1_182234_050000004.jpg

1_182234_050000003.jpg

As you can see... it is small but it has 6 super bright LED's in it so it packs a pretty good punch.

Thats it for now. Oh, by the way, the keep the top open, I just took a piece of 3/4" PVC, added a cap to one end, added a "T" to the other end. It lays nicely in the trailer and will be there when needed.

Thanks for reading... :wave:

fysty-1

Great job Dean. Sure is a little beauty.:clap::clap::clap::egypt::egypt::egypt:

Devans

Thanks Angela... Im pretty happy with it, especially now that the top hinges. :yes:

Joep

Dean are the tail lights standard filament bulbs or are they LEDs??

lucky_x16

Looks great Dean!

Devans

[user=895]Joep[/user] wrote:

Dean are the tail lights standard filament bulbs or are they LEDs

They are standard, for now. I saw that HF has a set for $29 right now. I have also been looking for 1157 clear LED replacements but all we have around here are the red LED's.

AspectOne

Looks good the way it is to me bro.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,