Sign in to follow this  
dbeii

heated seat/grip problem

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

dbeii

I have an 08 GL1800 comf/nav and the both heaters quit working. I habe checked the fuse and plugs under dask and seat.

Any ideas???

Joep

Others will post on this soon.. I am not up on the 1800.. let me try and give you somethings to think about.. are these linked through the same fuses?? or share wires??? have you recently been working under the shelters/seat?? if so.. check the ground side of the systems.. you may have knocked wires loose. ( I have done this) .. also please post a howdy in our new members section... we have many who are not technical that would like to give you a greeting shout out.. Welcome from North TEXAS

Bamaeagle

Yeah like Joe said it may be a ground issue. You checked the fuses and all were good, so that means no short in the wiring.

Check and make sure all the wire connectors going to the heated grips are on tight and not loose.

BTW Welcome to the forums......:wave:

AspectOne

Its an 08, take it to a Honda dealer and let them handle it for you.

plskthompson

I'm with Chris. Unless you have some awful high mileage numbers on an 08, it should be covered under warranty still. Let the guys that get paid to do it take care of the problem for you.

DaveO430

[user=1136]plskthompson[/user] wrote:

I'm with Chris. Unless you have some awful high mileage numbers on an 08, it should be covered under warranty still. Let the guys that get paid to do it take care of the problem for you.

The warranty is unlimited mileage so it is still in warranty.

The problem is about 90% the grip heaters, if they go bad nothing else will work. I don't know why Honda did it that way but I work on their cars and they do some really stupid things in their electrical systems on those too. Their theory is it will never fail so why worry about it.

I asked the head instructor at the training center why they even offer all this training if these things never fail, didn't get an answer.

dbeii

I have an 08 goldwing trike. The Honda dealers, I have been to 3, just jerk me around about the warrenty and the trike making part of it void. I am going to have to fix it myself. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Don

AspectOne

OK well start by downloading the manuals for your machine, begin with your relays, make sure they have power and then test from them forward untill you find where the power stops flowing.

Its a pain in the butt bu you are gonna have to get in there, get the wiring diagram and start tracing the point at which you no longer power the harness for these items.

All the manuals i have are available from

www.aspectcomputing.com/downloads

Hope to be more help.... post back what you have learned please.

A1

Joep

yeah what A1 said... need to trace.. study the guides and look at the wiring for only the heated items for now.. from battery to ground... note the colors and then locate and trace those wires..

tazman

I may be being too simplitic here but my 06 had the same problem when I got it.

Turned out that the last time to PO had the seta off he did not plug the heating unit back in and neither unit worked. Plugged it back in after some add ons wree installed and everything works fine.

Sometime the simple things get overlooked.

Dustoff498

I picked up my brand new NAV/Air now last friday. On my way home in heavy rain and 90 degree 38 mph/33kts crosswind and 37F I discovered there was no heat in the grips and seats, wich is a "MUST" for us all year riders. Back to the dealer monday morning and all the mechanics crowded around the wing. This was something they'd never seen before. Waited at the dealer almost all day, lots of coffe, while they tried to solve the problem with no luck so they gave me a Transalp so I could get back home in the afternoon. Working almost all night the poor meachanics could not figure out what was wrong. This was something that should not happen to a bike at a price of $ 66505. Today it is wedenesday and this afternoon they might have solved the problem, so maybe tomorrow I can ride my new Wing or maybe I'll better ride my LT during wintertime?

Ride With Pride

Jostein Knigtha Bø

Blue Knights Norway I

Guest Divenavy

Mine turned out to be a bad Left grip   Replaced it everything works

OnaWingandaPrayer

This old thread gets new life . Welcome Divenavy and Thank you  for your reply.  It does seem that the grip heater failure causes the seat to quit as well .