Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
Geezerglider

darksider

50 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hodgy

A-1, temperate climate up here so not a lot of hot asphalt/ tire interaction. I like the E3's except they whine a bit on high speed cornering.

I would have thought you would get more than 14,000 miles from the auto tire. I guess they take more of a beating on the back of a bike, especially a 850 lb Wing.

AspectOne

Dave and others may well get more but remember we do not ride easy here in the foot hills of the Ozarks either... we pretty much flog our machines in the mountains and a standard day for us is 4 to 500 miles with very little of it smooth interstate highway.

Hodgy

Sounds like good riding to me ! I live in the foothills of the Rockies and that is most of my riding also, love it. I do a lot of short forays into the mountains after working in the morning. Well working may be a little strong for what I am doing.

When I go for a ride it is 400 miles a day also, point the bike and go. This is my first year with a Garmin mounted on the bike. Will be nice when we get into new territory. I like the gas station and restaurant feature.

I will need a new rear tire at the end of this riding season and will consider the darkside option. Thanks to everyone for the good information in this thread.

Joep

[user=1316]AspectOne[/user] wrote:

Dyna beads ... Our local bike shop install car tires for 40 bucks ... you ride it in to them.

12-14000 miles is what I understand most are getting from them... as for the milage you got from your E3 you are getting exceptionally long miles from it as my E3 on the rear was wore slap out at 8000 miles.

Actually you got more out of your tire then he did... his was KM your is Miles and he got about 7956 miles out of his there A1... you squeezed yours further!!!

Geezerglider

[user=895]Joep[/user] wrote:

[user=1316]AspectOne[/user] wrote:
Dyna beads ... Our local bike shop install car tires for 40 bucks ... you ride it in to them.

12-14000 miles is what I understand most are getting from them... as for the milage you got from your E3 you are getting exceptionally long miles from it as my E3 on the rear was wore slap out at 8000 miles.

Actually you got more out of your tire then he did... his was KM your is Miles and he got about 7956 miles out of his there A1... you squeezed yours further!!!
I believe that would be 16,740 miles. (27,000 X .62)

Joep

Your right!!! I saw 12000 and used that..

Geezerglider
That's still a whole lot of miles. I was pm'ing a fellow from Florida who is claiming to get 25000 out of a MC tire. I'm not calling him a liar, but I sure find that hard to believe.

Putt

So why in Dean's video is the You Tube logo upside down?? :baffled:

Monk

[user=659]Geezerglider[/user] wrote:

I'm not calling him a liar, but I sure find that hard to believe.

I for one have never understood the reason for the differences like that??

The most I've gotten from a MT on the 1800 was 13,000 and that was on E3's ... but can't stand the roar in the curves that develops after the first few thousand miles.

I just took off an Avon Cobra rear tire ... it had 7,500 miles and was at the wear bars. The front should be good for another two or three thousand.

I'm using the same CT as Dave0430 ... if he can get 14,000 out of it ... it may last me for of years. :yes:

Geezerglider

Only a week and a little over 500 miles, and it already feels "natural".

386798912.jpg

AspectOne

GO GO GEEZER!!!!

DaveO430

[user=1363]Monk[/user] wrote:

The most I've gotten from a MT on the 1800 was 13,000 and that was on E3's ... but can't stand the roar in the curves that develops after the first few thousand miles.

I just took off an Avon Cobra rear tire ... it had 7,500 miles and was at the wear bars. The front should be good for another two or three thousand.

I'm using the same CT as Dave0430 ... if he can get 14,000 out of it ... it may last me for of years. :yes:

I hate to call anyone a liar too but I doubt anyone could get 25,000 out of a rear tire on any motorcycle and especially an 1800 goldwing unless you count the miles you trailered it.

I run the Michelin pilot sport AS plus 205/55 ZR 16 over other tires of the same specs because it has the highest tread wear rating of any other high performance all season tire. The first one I tried was a Maxxis which worked great also but it only lasted 8000 miles. It cost 30% less but I'm not into changing tires every 3 months. Other tires of lesser speed ratings may last longer and work just fine but I want every traction advantage I can get and the sidewalls of lesser tires are a lot weaker and may cause instability at higher speeds. I seldom exceed 120mph but I want it solid if I do get there.

Another thing is the load rating, I just recently picked up a frequent passenger and all I have to do is bump up the pressure a little and get the same stability and handling as riding alone. You can't do that with a MT because you have to run it at it's max pressure all the time and even then you are still exceeding it's load rating unless the 2 of you are stick people.

AspectOne

[user=1428]DaveO430[/user] wrote:

[user=1363]Monk[/user] wrote:

I hate to call anyone a liar too but I doubt anyone could get 25,000 out of a rear tire on any motorcycle and especially an 1800 goldwing unless you count the miles you trailered it.

I run the Michelin pilot sport AS plus 205/55 ZR 16 over other tires of the same specs because it has the highest tread wear rating of any other high performance all season tire. The first one I tried was a Maxxis which worked great also but it only lasted 8000 miles. It cost 30% less but I'm not into changing tires every 3 months. Other tires of lesser speed ratings may last longer and work just fine but I want every traction advantage I can get and the sidewalls of lesser tires are a lot weaker and may cause instability at higher speeds. I seldom exceed 120mph but I want it solid if I do get there.

Another thing is the load rating, I just recently picked up a frequent passenger and all I have to do is bump up the pressure a little and get the same stability and handling as riding alone. You can't do that with a MT because you have to run it at it's max pressure all the time and even then you are still exceeding it's load rating unless the 2 of you are stick people.

Now thats what I am talkin about right there! Me n Bert aint no stick people and I DO/WILL EXCEED 110MPH on a regular basis so I need all the help I can get!!! Looking forward to a CT I tell ya!

:egypt:

Geezerglider
No wonder I can't keep up with you ridge runners! :surprised: I rarely exceed 80.

AspectOne

No wonder I can't keep up with you ridge runners! :surprised: I rarely exceed 80.

Hey Frank, you didn't let any grass grow under you last time we rode together bro!:eyeroll:

Joep

hmmm now I am gonna have to work on my speed tactics if I ride with you guys.. and my lil 1100..

plskthompson

I know there are a few 1200 riders here who have thought about it and the only option was a VW tire, but I just jumped over to the darksider forum and run across this. Supposedly it fits without a problem.

http://highperformancetire.com/product.php?productid=22861&cat=472&page=1&featured

Got me thinking about it now.

wgreen12

Got a dunlop sp 3000 sittin in the garage all mounted..Just waitin for about 2 feet of snow to go away.

Longboater

That's still a whole lot of miles.  I was pm'ing a fellow from Florida who is claiming to get 25000 out of a MC tire.  I'm not calling him a liar, but I sure find that hard to believe.

You called?:rofl:

The rear stone got 19500 or so (also plugged at 10000) and the front Stone got 26500 or so. My style of riding is not your usual. Flat smooth road conditions. Very long distances. This bike has the Traxxion Full Monte suspension system that is set up for Touring. Easy start ups and braking. Tire pressures Frt 44 RR 45. This was the first tire set.

The second set is as follows: Frt Stone 22000 and RR Kumho RF 28500.

The Kumho wore out in the center, either scrubbing from side to side or over inflated. Now riding on another Stone with a Hankook CT.

If you wish more information please PM me. This bike is now ready for the trip out to Seattle for NASSIR #4.

vtxcandyred
Next time I need to change the rear tire it will be with a car tire. I have had mine on the X for about five years and about twelve thousand miles with nary a problem and it still looks new. For more answers join here. http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

vtxcandyred

[user=1171]Longboater[/user] wrote:

That's still a whole lot of miles. I was pm'ing a fellow from Florida who is claiming to get 25000 out of a MC tire. I'm not calling him a liar, but I sure find that hard to believe.

You called?:rofl:

The rear stone got 19500 or so (also plugged at 10000) and the front Stone got 26500 or so. My style of riding is not your usual. Flat smooth road conditions. Very long distances. This bike has the Traxxion Full Monte suspension system that is set up for Touring. Easy start ups and braking. Tire pressures Frt 44 RR 45. This was the first tire set.

The second set is as follows: Frt Stone 22000 and RR Kumho RF 28500.

The Kumho wore out in the center, either scrubbing from side to side or over inflated. Now riding on another Stone with a Hankook CT.

If you wish more information please PM me. This bike is now ready for the trip out to Seattle for NASSIR #4.
I have never, ever, never gotten more than twelve thousand on a tire, front or rear from my 550 fours all the way to the VTX and the wings. I would have to see it first hand.

kwikwing

I run that same Bridgestone Potenza on my 03 GW. Keep it at 44lbs. & it will handle great. I have over 21k miles on tire & should get another 5k miles before changing. Next tire will probably be a Kumho Runflat for me being safer in a high speed blowout.

Geezerglider
Just this past Saturday, I pulled a Falken off the rear with only 6K, and well into the wear bars. I put my Potenza with 10K back on with probably at least that many miles left in it.

kwikwing

Yes going to the Darkside will definitely increase the mileage of the rear tire & is much quiter too. Ride on...ride on!

ka9nyn

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,