Sign in to follow this  
daWingster

FirstCavArmyVet

135 posts in this topic Last Reply

Bountyhunter

Shea,I can send you something that can take up some of your time for you. I'll Send down a paint pan and roller along with a 2" brush.and a very long handle. you can paint that room at the VA.Dont like the colors they use anyway.Get better my friend. I'm waiting to see you in Eureka Springs.Ar.Even if you have to come in a cage. Ken

AspectOne

we are trying to figureitout Shea

FirstCavArmyVet

Actually the paint color in my room isn't too unbearable. I have a killer view. I am usually asleep or in one of the physical therapy sessions. Right this second I am sitting outside having some coffee and getting some air before my last session of the day. The way it's going, I will probably be here in the VA hospital for some time. My parents are doing a great job of taking care of Brandi. I think I am going to sell my dodge truck and get a conversion van. I know I'll be in this chair for 6 months, so a van may be easier to get in and out of. Therapy is going well, but I still cannot life my left leg. Alot of bone damage. There was definatley an angel our shoulder that night.

As far as what happened, not sure if I posted it, but I'll post it up later. I can't recall much. Other than bright lights and pushing brandi off the bike so she didn't get hurt.

BTW I really thank all of you here from the bottom of my heart for all the prayers and support. I really do.

sniper

Great to see you posting again Shea. Do whatever it takes, theropy wise, to get yourself back to good health.

Chin up brother, we're here for ya.

beenshot

great to hear from you. don't slack up on the physical therapy, it is not a lot of fun, but very beneficial.

DigbyODell

Just keep your spirits up (not talking Jack Daniels either :funny: )

Have yall cantacted any church groups? I will talk to a buddy of mine, his dad is a big shot for the VA and see if there is anything I (we) can do about bennies for Brandi...

Always remember Shea, there are many of us here 24 hours a day if you just need to talk...:wave:

Joep

true very true.. also have you spoken to dav rep at the hospital?? some of the local chapters have benevolience funds to help out vets who have needs.. ask anyway.. do not doubt...

Warlock

Shea, I can't really add to anything that has been said except to reinforce that you need to relax and heal. Put faith in God and your fellow man. There are many orgs out there that should be able to help. I am a little surprised that someone from the VA haven't suggested some of them.

Babydoozer

Shea,

First off I want to say how sorry I am for this happening, I am glad you are as okay as you can be to this point ..it could have been very much worse. As I read your post I started to well up and cry, It takes someone special to think as fast as you did and true love to push your Brandi off, you had a split second to react and you reacted by saving your wife first, Bless you and your wife, just hold on and heal fast, things will be better soon. Please take care.

[user=1417]FirstCavArmyVet[/user] wrote:

Actually the paint color in my room isn't too unbearable. I have a killer view. I am usually asleep or in one of the physical therapy sessions. Right this second I am sitting outside having some coffee and getting some air before my last session of the day. The way it's going, I will probably be here in the VA hospital for some time. My parents are doing a great job of taking care of Brandi. I think I am going to sell my dodge truck and get a conversion van. I know I'll be in this chair for 6 months, so a van may be easier to get in and out of. Therapy is going well, but I still cannot life my left leg. Alot of bone damage. There was definatley an angel our shoulder that night.

As far as what happened, not sure if I posted it, but I'll post it up later. I can't recall much. Other than bright lights and pushing brandi off the bike so she didn't get hurt.

BTW I really thank all of you here from the bottom of my heart for all the prayers and support. I really do.

lucky_x16

Not sure how much help this would be, but they may know avenues of support the rest of us do not.

http://www.vsf-usa.org/

Joep

be sure to check with all the service groups.. am vets, vfw , dav and the local service officer in the hospital..

AspectOne

UPDATE!!!

Shea will be going home and he and Brandi will be staying with his mom and dad for while till he recovers some better!!!!

Hospital said he is doing well enough to continue PT from out paatient basis and he said he can even move his leg a little today!!!!

brandi still has not found anyone willing to do her surgery yet but I am sure they are working on it.

Shea told me to thank you all so much for the help and prayers/wishes etc and he hopes to be back on line soon!!!!

A1

beenshot

thanks for the update, chris. we are still hoping and praying that they get all the help they need. getting to go home will help emotionally

Joep

Yeah That is Great Shea.. besure and check with the service organizations in the area...

FirstCavArmyVet

I just wanted to take this time to let everyone know the current update. As of today, I am now home with my parents. Due to the extent of my injuries, I will be unable to live alone in my home with Brandi. She cannot care for me the way that needs to be done. Brandi is doing well. She will be getting some surgury to her knee here soon. We are having issues finding a surgeon for her. I wound up with 32 screws and plates in my hip, 5 fractured/seperated ribs, a pneumothorax in my left lung, and they had to rebuild my left knee. Right now I have no use of my left leg other than moving my foot around and I can lift my leg just a bit, but that will change as time goes on and I continue to heal.

I wanted to take the time to thank everyone personally for all the support. For this you have my eternal graditute. Your support, in conjunction with my mom and dad, enabled my wife to press on while I was in the hospital. Only God knows what lies ahead of us. I do know that I will be putting the Angel and the trailer up for sale here first. She is in pretty good shape and could probably be rebuilt. Otherwise she is going to be a parts bike. The trailer you all know what it looks like. Unfortunatley it will have to be picked up as I cannot drive for the next 8 months.

I'll keep everyone updated on how things are progressing. Again, I thank each of you from the bottom of my heart for all your support. This has been a very traumatic event for myself and my family. Knowing that Brandi and I were an inch from death keeps my head spinning. It's hard to fathom that. If we had been on any smaller bike, I am sure we would not be here today.

I will let you all know how things are going. Keep the rubber side down brothers and sisters.

Shea Ghering

devansgirl

Keep up the good healing Shea. You both are still in our prayers

Bamaeagle

Shea,

Glad you are at "home". I know you can heal better there than in a boring hospital.

Prayers are still coming your way for you and Brandi and your whole family.

DigbyODell

Good to hear from you Shea!!!

You and Brandi keep up the great healing :banana:

AspectTwo

Shea & Brandi, just thinking about you guys tonight. Glad to hear that you guys have made some progress on getting Brandi surgery. Shea, both you guys have to be patient and let yourselves heal - don't overdo!

Hey figure this, staying with your parents should give you more motivation each day to get better....LOL! :doh: I had to do it for a bit once due to immobility. Staying with anyone else I probably would have taken the whole time the Dr's allotted to get mobile....staying with them, it just sped up! :baffled: Don't get me wrong, loved my parents but is just a great reminder for why you left in the first place...:scared:...college, military, whatever...gotta go! :surprised:

Be patient as possible tho'. We're thinking about you and praying for you guys! :yes:

Joep

waiting to hear more on your progress Shea!!

fysty-1

[user=1299]AspectTwo[/user] wrote:

Shea & Brandi, just thinking about you guys tonight. Glad to hear that you guys have made some progress on getting Brandi surgery. Shea, both you guys have to be patient and let yourselves heal - don't overdo!

Hey figure this, staying with your parents should give you more motivation each day to get better....LOL! :doh: I had to do it for a bit once due to immobility. Staying with anyone else I probably would have taken the whole time the Dr's allotted to get mobile....staying with them, it just sped up! :baffled: Don't get me wrong, loved my parents but is just a great reminder for why you left in the first place...:scared:...college, military, whatever...gotta go! :surprised:

Be patient as possible tho'. We're thinking about you and praying for you guys! :yes:

Shea, what she said!!!:funny::funny::scared: Really just take it easy and stay as true to your physio & recupperation as is humanly possible. May God bless you both & keep you in his light. Angelas:worthy::worthy::worthy::wave::wave::wave::wave:

FirstCavArmyVet

Hello everyone. Well for the most part things are progressing well. We have a line on a new home, and my family is doing alot to help us. This is turning out to be a very trying ordeal both physically and mentally. My wife seems to be an entirely new person. And I am very proud of her. We are going to keep working to get her surgury done. We had to drag a congressman into this to get things going. As for myself, I am healing well and gaining more access and use of my left leg daily. I know in my heart that I will probably never ride again. At least not on two wheels, but it's something I will deal with as I need to. Overall we are doing well and again, I thank everyone for their prayers and support. I promise to keep everyone updated on things as we go. You are all truly my friends and now, my family. I owe you each a great debt. Without all the prayers, I don't think Brandi and I would have lived through this. I even had Dr's tell me I was lucky to live through the entire event. So I take nothing lightly anymore.

kristop64089

Well, no matter what the future holds, you're HERE today. Ya get to see your family and talk with them, all the important stuff.

Riding is great, but it's far from everything. You definitely have someone pulling for ya.It's good to see ya pulling through. From one vet to another, thanks for fighting for us, and I'm pulling for ya.

beenshot

hang in there shea, i know too well your situation. its been about 4 1/2 years since my accident, and i too couldn't walk and had to move in with my parents. spent about six months there. don't worry about all the material things, they are not important and can be replaced in the future. trust me, things will start to come around faster than you think and life is so much sweeter when you realize that the most important things are your family and friends. there are a lot of things that you won't be able to do like you used to, but you will find new ways to do them and enjoy it so much more. i guess what i'm trying to say is that there is light at the end of the tunnell and you still have a great life ahead of you. i enjoy every day of my "second chance" and treasure every second of it.

FirstCavArmyVet

[user=1606]beenshot[/user] wrote:

hang in there shea, i know too well your situation. its been about 4 1/2 years since my accident, and i too couldn't walk and had to move in with my parents. spent about six months there. don't worry about all the material things, they are not important and can be replaced in the future. trust me, things will start to come around faster than you think and life is so much sweeter when you realize that the most important things are your family and friends. there are a lot of things that you won't be able to do like you used to, but you will find new ways to do them and enjoy it so much more. i guess what i'm trying to say is that there is light at the end of the tunnell and you still have a great life ahead of you. i enjoy every day of my "second chance" and treasure every second of it.

Thanks for those words, they do mean alot. And I trust that Brandi and I will take advantage of every day we have together now. New lease on life, I plan on enjoying every day of it. Just getting past the healing part is the hardest. But, we will pull through. Hell were already planning a garage sale here soon to help offset the bills. Brandi's came out to about $22K and mine was just under $65,000. The VA will help with some of mine thank God, and Medicare should help with alot of Brandi's. Just something we never expected nor saw coming. But will WILL live on. HOOAH!!