Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
tenorjazz

Seattle to Phoenix and Back with a twist..

77 posts in this topic Last Reply

devansgirl

[user=1645]tenorjazz[/user] wrote:

Do you mean the hair bands of the 80's like Poison, Motley Crue and so on?

Those are the exact bands I am talking about. Poison is the best!! Then Motley Crue, Skid Row, Bon Jovi, Warrant....etc.

Im stuck in the 80's and I dont plan on leaving anytime soon :funny:

Devans

[user=1645]tenorjazz[/user] wrote:

Do you mean the hair bands of the 80's like Poison, Motley Crue and so on?

:yes::COOL::dance::dance:

tenorjazz

After two days in Red Bluff, CA, waiting out the storms, I packed up my bike and made a dash for home. I had a couple of mountain passes I wanted to get over where the weather was still suppose to be bad, but after that it should be a clear run for home.

I usually don't want to ride for more than about 5 hours in day. Somedays, like on this trip, if I want to beat the weather I might push a little harder. Google maps says it's about 11 hours to do the trip from Red Bluff to my home near Duvall, WA so I figure that's about 2 days riding. I'm on the road at 7:30 and it starts raining about 8:30 as I start to climb towards the first pass. The winds start to build and the bike is getting blown around and I get hit by some really strong gusts as I pass the big semi's. I figured Eugene, OR to be about half way and that is my planned stop for the night. Problem is I make really good time despite the weather and get to Eugene at about 1:30. This is too early for me to stop, so I figure I'll just keep on going till I get tired.

If you all have been following this story you know that I had originally had the chance to come home from Phoenix on a GL1800, but after a false start, I decided to wait for my bike and ride it home.

Well, just outside of Weed, CA a Goldwing comes back into the picture. At some point I fell in with a couple of riders going north, one on a VStrom and the other on an 1100 Goldwing. I rode along with these guys for a while and could tell that the guy on the Goldwing had been riding for a long time. There was an interesting confidence about the way he moved and watching him and that old Goldwing was beauty in motion.

The two guys pulled off the freeway for gas, I was tempted to follow and chat, but since my tank was full and I was just getting into the groove, I decided to keep on moving. A couple of hours later, when I was getting lunch, the Goldwing pulls into the gas station across the street. So I head over and find out he's from Vancouver Island, BC Canada. The guy on the VStrom split earlier so I suggest we ride together for a while. A few minutes after we get going we see the VStrom on the side of the freeway, everythings OK he was just waiting for his buddy to show up.

When I started this trip, I told my wife that I wanted to go solo. She couldn't understand and kept suggesting I find someone to ride with, but in the end I decided I really wanted to do this trip solo and so didn't pick up bud to go along. As I mentioned earlier, I really like to experience the world on my own sometime. I set my own pace and go anywhere my whim takes me. It's such a special feeling.

Now here's the interesting thing... When I saw these two guys, heading in the same direction and going about the same pace as me, I figure it's a no brainer to fall in with them. What I didn't figure is that for the last couple of weeks I had been riding alone and I really, really liked it. So after about 50 miles I had to split from my new found friends and get back on my own. I ran into them again a couple of hours later, but I just waved and kept moving on. So in the end the was a Goldwing in this story, even if it was a very short time.

I was still feeling good by the time I got to Portland, OR and called my wife and told her I decided I was going to push through and get there that night. So from that point on I didn't do much of anything except get gas, eat, and BIo break. 13 and 1/2 hours later I make it home. I was buzzed from the ride and I think too much cafine.:woohoo:

I have a couple of more pictures, but won't be able to post them till tomorrow.

Total miles for the trip was just over 4000 miles. Saw some great sights and thanks to this forum, met some great people. Thanks for letting this GS rider hand around and share his adventure.

If my wife and I can get out later this summer and ride like we want, I"ll make sure I take lot's of pictures and maybe post another ride report then.

tenorjazz

After two days in Red Bluff, CA, waiting out the storms, I packed up my bike and made a dash for home. I had a couple of mountain passes I wanted to get over where the weather was still suppose to be bad, but after that it should be a clear run for home.

I usually don't want to ride for more than about 5 hours in day. Somedays, like on this trip, if I want to beat the weather I might push a little harder. Google maps says it's about 11 hours to do the trip from Red Bluff to my home near Duvall, WA so I figure that's about 2 days riding. I'm on the road at 7:30 and it starts raining about 8:30 as I start to climb towards the first pass. The winds start to build and the bike is getting blown around and I get hit by some really strong gusts as I pass the big semi's. I figured Eugene, OR to be about half way and that is my planned stop for the night. Problem is I make really good time despite the weather and get to Eugene at about 1:30. This is too early for me to stop, so I figure I'll just keep on going till I get tired.

If you all have been following this story you know that I had originally had the chance to come home from Phoenix on a GL1800, but after a false start, I decided to wait for my bike and ride it home.

Well, just outside of Weed, CA a Goldwing comes back into the picture. At some point I fell in with a couple of riders going north, one on a VStrom and the other on an 1100 Goldwing. I rode along with these guys for a while and could tell that the guy on the Goldwing had been riding for a long time. There was an interesting confidence about the way he moved and watching him and that old Goldwing was beauty in motion.

The two guys pulled off the freeway for gas, I was tempted to follow and chat, but since my tank was full and I was just getting into the groove, I decided to keep on moving. A couple of hours later, when I was getting lunch, the Goldwing pulls into the gas station across the street. So I head over and find out he's from Vancouver Island, BC Canada. The guy on the VStrom split earlier so I suggest we ride together for a while. A few minutes after we get going we see the VStrom on the side of the freeway, everythings OK he was just waiting for his buddy to show up.

When I started this trip, I told my wife that I wanted to go solo. She couldn't understand and kept suggesting I find someone to ride with, but in the end I decided I really wanted to do this trip solo and so didn't pick up bud to go along. As I mentioned earlier, I really like to experience the world on my own sometime. I set my own pace and go anywhere my whim takes me. It's such a special feeling.

Now here's the interesting thing... When I saw these two guys, heading in the same direction and going about the same pace as me, I figure it's a no brainer to fall in with them. What I didn't figure is that for the last couple of weeks I had been riding alone and I really, really liked it. So after about 50 miles I had to split from my new found friends and get back on my own. I ran into them again a couple of hours later, but I just waved and kept moving on. So in the end the was a Goldwing in this story, even if it was a very short time.

I was still feeling good by the time I got to Portland, OR and called my wife and told her I decided I was going to push through and get there that night. So from that point on I didn't do much of anything except get gas, eat, and BIo break. 13 and 1/2 hours later I make it home. I was buzzed from the ride and I think too much cafine.:woohoo:

I have a couple of more pictures, but won't be able to post them till tomorrow.

Total miles for the trip was just over 4000 miles. Saw some great sights and thanks to this forum, met some great people. Thanks for letting this GS rider hand around and share his adventure.

If my wife and I can get out later this summer and ride like we want, I"ll make sure I take lot's of pictures and maybe post another ride report then.

Joep

Hey Tenor you must be really jazzed to be home.. (double posting) ... great finish to your ride... I have an 1100 and it is a great ride.. not real fancy and the radio is out on it. but I like riding it,,,and when I get this last leak fixed i will be bout done for 6 months.. other then oil change.. or two..

plskthompson

Loved the pics. Sounds like you had a great time, minus the bike break down. If you ever make it to the southern states, send me a line. I may be able to set up a cook out for any guests, depending on whats going on at the time.

dwsonar

Glad you had such an enjoyable and safe trip.

I know what you mean about riding alone, it's the best way to go.

Joep

especially when you want to reflect on life and the scenery..

tenorjazz

JP - is your bike maroon? That's the color of the one I was riding with.

Joep

it is the standard color for the 81 .. wineberry.. or what ever they csll it

devansgirl

Im glad you made it home safe TJ......:banana::banana::banana:

tenorjazz

I have a few pictures from the last couple of days that I want to post, got them all ready to go, but after doing chores and all today, it's late and I need to get to bed. I will try to post them tomorrow.

It's been a couple of really busy days since I got home, my honey-do list is a lot bigger than I remember :yes:.

tenorjazz

[user=895]Joep[/user] wrote:

it is the standard color for the 81 .. wineberry.. or what ever they csll it

Wineberry, what a cool name for a color!!

tenorjazz

I can't remember where it was but one night I hear this noise outside my window, lots of talking, banging around and stuff. Wanting to make sure everything was OK, I poked my head out the door and saw something lurking behind my bike... :looking:

5.JPG

Taking a closer look I realize it really isn't a BIG GREEN MONSTER

6.JPG

Here's some of the pictures I promised you...

Red Bluff is where I was hold up for a couple of days waiting for a big storm front to move through. It was kind of clear the second day and I almost made a run for it, but something inside said I should wait it out. Turns out I-5 was closed for over 3 hours. It was a good thing I didn't go.

3.JPG

The old town was my favorite part of town.

There was this music store that had all these old guitars and up on a shelf were a bunch of microphones from the 50's and 60's.

4.JPG

I thought it might be interesting to walk down to the river.

1.JPG

About 2 hours later, it looked like this:

2.JPG

I wonder where the vehicle got off to that made the tracks in the first picture.

Finally I got out of Red Bluff and headed home. My first challenge was to get over the pass. It started raining just out of Red Bluff, not the real hard stuff I had at the beginning of the trip, but I was heading up.

10.JPG

11.JPG

13.JPG

The roads stayed clear so I was good. It was about 34 degrees.

Coming down off the highest pass, about 4300 feet, the rest of the northern California and southern Oregon mountains were beautiful. The clouds looked like they were ready to burst, but I pretty much stayed dry the rest of the way home.

12.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

One last parting shot...

250.JPG

I love some of the freeway sculpture that's out there. This guy must have been 30 feet long!!

Again... Thanks for everyone who joined me on this trip, it was fun.

Hope to see you down the road.

devansgirl

Great pictures :clap: Im glad you made it home safe and sound also... You are a very good story teller :watching: I look forward to more of your road trips :watching:

tenorjazz

[user=1136]plskthompson[/user] wrote:

Loved the pics.  Sounds like you had a great time, minus the bike break down.  If you ever make it to the southern states, send me a line.  I may be able to set up a cook out for any guests, depending on whats going on at the time.

I took a trip through Tennessee and the Smoky Mountains many years ago, always wanted to go back. I've been trying to talk my wife into doing a ride to the east coast. I'm a potter and really enjoyed all the pottery and other crafts out that way. Hopefully soon!!

tenorjazz

[user=2]devansgirl[/user] wrote:

Those are the exact bands I am talking about. Poison is the best!! Then Motley Crue, Skid Row, Bon Jovi, Warrant....etc.

Im stuck in the 80's and I dont plan on leaving anytime soon :funny:

Just curious what you think about MUSE? I know they are current, but in many ways they remind me of some of the good hair bands of the 80's.

AspectOne

Very nice Les... I have got to get out your way someday soon.

Hodgy

Nice pics, beautiful country. Thanks for the thread for all of us to follow.

tenorjazz

[user=1316]AspectOne[/user] wrote:

Very nice Les... I have got to get out your way someday soon.

Let me know if you're coming I'll take you on a ride through the North Cascades, one of the prettiest rides around.

Joep

Yeah we loved the story in pics.. and if you did not take the time to stop and shot you would have been home before you started!! JK... that is when it is important to ride alone.. you can go fast or slow, stop and get off the bike where you like and no rush generally except your own time frame for a to b and back to a maybe with side trips to e f and g...

tenorjazz

Joe... I was only in Texas once, that was in the late 70's when I drove from Florida, where I grew up and went to school, to Washington, where I've worked and got old. Can't really remember the route, either 10 or 20, what I do remember was I didn't like it much. But now that I have been riding my motorcycle around different parts of the country, I'm finding places I didn't care for in the past to be very interesting rides. I'm guessing that Texas could be one of those places, just need someone to help point out the good roads. Any suggestions?

Joep

well I have been here but haven't been the tourer... I can suggest the quarterly Ride Texas.. http://ridetexas.com/ .. they have routes and maps and the top ten of roads, places, eateries etc... now 10 is the major lower crossing interstate.. ( parallels US 99 mostly) and goes from El Paso through, San Antonio, Houston, Bay city and on into New Orleans.. 20 splits from 10 and goes through Abilene on into DFW and into Shreveport... 30 splits from 20 and goes through Ft. Worth, Dallas and onto Texarkana.. 40 comes from Albuquerque and goes through panhandle, Amarillo and on into OKC... those are the major West-East Interstates... have couple of north souths.. but those are for later..

AspectOne

TJ ??? where ya been lately. You look like a fun guy bro.

tenorjazz

[user=1316]AspectOne[/user] wrote:

TJ ??? where ya been lately. You look like a fun guy bro.

The fun guy bits are an illusion :yes: I'm a bit of a tea-tottler and I usually go slow around the corners.

But thanks for asking.

Well... my 2 week solo Seattle to Arizona road trip was in exchange for my wife cruising to Europe for three weeks, with her mom and a bunch of aunts. Even though I really love my wife and her mom's OK, some of the time, I thought 3 weeks on a cruise ship might be a bit much. Besides I don't think I could handle 5 days on the open ocean, I get seasick. So I think it was a fair exchange, I get to stay home and take care of the dog and horses.

Since I've been back I've been doing chores around the place. I'm also putting a new band together, trying to edit and cut a documentary video of a jazz recording I did in late January, finish making a dinnerware set I promised over 4 years ago and mostly waiting for my wife to get done with her trip so we can go riding again. I haven't done much riding since I came back.

I've thought about doing some "post-trip-reports" of some of my other rides, but I always seem to get side tracked with other projects.

How about you, do you have any trips planned?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,