Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
tenorjazz

Seattle to Phoenix and Back with a twist..

77 posts in this topic Last Reply

tenorjazz

Finally I am back on the road :egypt:

Left Thursday headed for Joshua Tree National Park.

DSC01131.jpg

The road between Arizona and California can seem so remote sometimes, even though it is really heavily traveled.

When I stopped for my first fill up I ran into a couple of young guys riding "home made" motorcycles.

DSC01134.jpg

Love the handle bars!!

Yup, hard tails with just springs on the seats. These guys rode all the way from L.A. to Phoenix and were on their way back when I ran into them. When I first met them the guy with the white tank had a crack in his frame just under the tank. I past them a little while later on the highway and he was holding onto the frame with one hand doing about 70 mph. They had to stop about every 50 miles for gas, their tanks were so small. They caught up to me a little further on and they had found a welder somewhere and fixed the crack. They were adding about a quart of oil at every stop. And when I passed them earlier, I could smell them about a mile back.

Really nice guys, wished I had gotten a picture of them, but I was so interested in the bikes I forgot to get pictures till after they went into the store.

DSC01138.jpg

Never camped in the desert before, it was different. This is near the south side of the Joshua Tree National Park.

DSC01141.jpg

Looks pretty lifeless and barren, till you get up close....

DSC01143.jpg

DSC01146.jpg

REAL PRETTY!!

The earth split open during an earthquake and water came to the surface forming a spring. Really strange palm trees.

DSC01148.jpg

DSC01151.jpg

This side of the park doesn't have any Joshua Trees. Apparently you have to get much higher in elevation. What's strange is when I got to the other side of the park I started seeing Joshua Trees all the way from the park to Bakerfield, that's like 100 miles away.

DSC01163.jpg

The Cactus are in bloom!!

DSC01165.jpg

DSC01166.jpg

No flowers, but this spiky little fellow sure got my attention.

DSC01169.jpg

I've never seen the desert in bloom.

DSC01172.jpg

I had planned on doing a lot of camping this trip, but with the weather and bike breaking down, it looks like this will be my only night outside. The sky was beautiful, a gillion stars!

I got up real early the next morning and road across the park. I think I was the only person on the road for about an hour. It was incredible!! The pictures don't do it justice.

DSC01184.jpg

The road was paved, but small and it felt very remote.

When I travel I bring and iPod full of tunes. I put it on random play and let it pick the soundtrack for me. Back in the rain during the ride along the Columbia River, when the Wind Turbines were slicing the clouds, one of Peter Gabrial's etherial movie sound tracks were playing. I was hoping for one of the songs from U2's Joshua Tree but instead Janis Joplin came on with one of her most emotional songs, Little Girl Blue. I had to pull over I was so overwhelmed by the whole experience. This was probably the moment in the trip that made it all worth while. The feeling of all aloneness, yet a connection with the whole world, a moment of pure inspiration.

DSC01189.jpg

DSC01191.jpg

DSC01196.jpg

DSC01199.jpg

This is what a Joshua Tree Looks like. Pointy, cactus kind of things, but as big as a tree. What they call a forest is not what you normally think of because the trees are so far apart.

DSC01202.jpg

So that's the beginning of my trip home.

AspectOne

Fantastic journey so far bro. Stay safe.

lucky_x16

Great pictures and story line.

AspectOne

TJ those are nice looking picks... what are you using?

Cactus_Jack

DSC01086.jpg

That would be an ocotillo

AspectOne

Si'

tenorjazz

AspectOne... started the trip with an old Canon Power Shot SD400, that's the one I misplaced the battery charger for (BTW - I have since found it). Then I moved to my

Sony Cybershot DSC-W90. Both are little point and shoots. I usually shoot in a fairly big format the scrunch it down to 640x480/web compatable, in photoshop. Haven't really done any croping so have been pretty lucky getting some nice shots.

I have this little Sony VGN-T250 sub-compact laptop to do all my work on. Nice little computer, pretty small and seems pretty rugged :hulk:, took it all the way to the Arctic Circle bouncing around in the pannier.

tenorjazz

[user=895]Joep[/user] wrote:

I have been on that stretch of Pearblossom hwy.. yeah ain't nothing in the "towns" on that road.. Palmdale, Lancaster, or on to San Berdo...Victorville or Antelope Valley

Hey Joep... There's only been a few parts of this ride that haven't been too much fun. It was getting kind of late and dark when I got here, I was a little concerned about finding a place to stay.

tenorjazz

[user=511]Cactus_Jack[/user] wrote:

DSC01086.jpg

That would be an ocotillo

Cactus Jack... I didn't get to ride out to Globe or Slow Low, had to deal with getting my bike back and loaded up. Hopefully next time I get down this way, we can ride out that way.

My brother really likes the ocotillo, is there some place you can get these plants, he wants to put some around his house?

tenorjazz

On Highway 46 going from El Paso de Robles to Cambria there is this monument.

DSC01218.jpg

I pulled over to put on another layer, cause it was getting cold and didn't even know it was here.

Just a short distance from this tree is where James Dean crashed his Porche, September 30, 1955. Beautiful spot... Lot's of "Ghosts".

I had hoped to camp along the coast on the way home, but Moma Nature has other ideas for me. Saturday was suppose to be clear, but Sunday and Monday there is a huge storm coming in that will blanket the west coast from L.A. to Seattle. Suppose to be gale force winds and tons of rain. I did think it might be interesting to set my tent up on the coast in Big Sur and watch the storms come in, but even after two days of storms the coast was suppose to stay wet for the rest of the week. My sensible side said I should head inland while I have a day of sunshine (actually it was cloudy all day, but it didn't rain) and find a cheap motel to hold up in for a couple of days. So I'm sitting in Red Bluff California waiting for some sunshine.

Here's a couple of pictures of the coast road right around Big Sur.

DSC01233.jpg

DSC01236.jpg

DSC01237.jpg

Last night there was a band practicing right next door to the motel (BTW - the motel is called the M-Star, great rates, nice owners) so I dropped in. Their bass player was taking a break so I got to sit in with them for a song. They were actually pretty good.

AspectOne

So nice... wish I were there with you bro!

tenorjazz

Speaking of music... what do your "on the road" play lists look like?

Here's some of the bands I listen to:

Yes, Genisis, Anyones Daughter, U2, Allman Brothers, Beth Hart (she is awsome), Coco Montoya (Great Blues), Cold Play, Counting Crows, The Cure, Joe Bonamassa (probably the greatest blues guitar alive today, at least my favorite), Janis Joplin, Linkin Park,... the list is long. So I put my IPod on suffle and just let it pick the music for the moment. Most of the time it does a great job.

tenorjazz

[user=1316]AspectOne[/user] wrote:

So nice... wish I were there with you bro!

Thanks... it's been a great trip so far. I want to do a trip, some day, down through the southern states and then swing up through the smokies. I was born and went to school in Florida and lived in south Georgia for a few years when I was a little kid.

I was thinking next year I might leave a little later, when there isn't any snow or rain, and do the road down the middle of Neveda. Start at Battle Mountain and go straight south to Tonopah .

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=38.908133,-116.740723&spn=3.803857,9.832764&z=7

Zoom in till you see Round Mountain and change to terrain view. The mountains are 10-12,000 feet tall going up either side of the valley. This is the route I wanted to come down on, but it was blocked by snow. Also maybe a good thing I didn't, because of the bike problems.

AspectOne

Monk, ApsecTwo and I are planning a BRP run, nothing fast just a slow, easy camping ride up through there to enjoy and take many pictures on in August. Welcome to come along with us if you can stand the pace I want to set. This will be my smell the flowers run if you will.

I may stop at very single historacal marker and greasy spoon between here and NC LOL!

Cactus_Jack

[user=1645]tenorjazz[/user] wrote:

My brother really likes the ocotillo, is there some place you can get these plants, he wants to put some around his house?

knowing the name now he should be able to find them at almost any of the cactus nurseries around here.

Joep

Yeah and when they have expired he can use the stems to make a fence for his garden.. at least tat is what I have seen in NM and AZ....being wire holders to keep the fences nice and tight...

tenorjazz

[user=1316]AspectOne[/user] wrote:

Monk, ApsecTwo and I are planning a BRP run, nothing fast just a slow, easy camping ride up through there to enjoy and take many pictures on in August. Welcome to come along with us if you can stand the pace I want to set. This will be my smell the flowers run if you will.

I may stop at very single historacal marker and greasy spoon between here and NC LOL!

That's the pace I wanted for this trip, but with being chased by rain and dodging snow I've had to stay mostly in motels and take way too many freeways. It would be great to join you on that trip, but my wife has plans for us to go north in August. Since our trip to the Arctic Circle in 07 she has been itching to go back to Alaska.

After one more day of hold-over because of rain, it should clear tomorrow and I can get back on the road.

The nice thing about traveling in the NW is that even on the freeways it can be incredibly beautiful. I'll try to get few more shots on the way home.

tenorjazz

Cactus Jack... Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on.

tenorjazz

So.... aren't there any musicians or music listeners out there :baffled:

I thought my post about what I'm listening to, would get some response or at least some questions like who is Beth Hart, or Anyones Daughter.

What are you all listening too when you ride?

Devans

I listen to what ever is playing on the Satellite :rofl:

I do switch between 80's hair bands, 70's, 50's (I skip the 60's... never really cared for much of that music) and country.:yes::wave:

devansgirl

[user=1]Devans[/user] wrote:

I listen to what ever is playing on the Satellite :rofl:

I do switch between 80's hair bands, 70's, 50's (I skip the 60's... never really cared for much of that music) and country.:yes::wave:

He likes the 50's, 60's, and 70's/ Im pretty happy with the 80's. If he would leave it on that, I would be happy :yes:

devansgirl

BTW. Those are awesome pics TJ. :clap: I am a little envious :tap:. I miss the desert. It is very beautiful in the springtime :yes:

Joep

yeah Az does have some odd contrasts that make it beautiful in the spring.. I do miss being out there also.. 4 1/2 years in Sierra Vista got to me.. just gotta win powerball or tx lotto and pay everyone off and then cya .. buy me a hillside and the land at the base of the hill so that I can always keep my property on my property!!

Joep

BTW when my tune device gets repaired or installed or setup.. I have an eclectic taste across several genre.. and the wife likes classical.. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and new age.. Yanni, John Tesch.. I am really into Big bands, early rock, some modern rock, and some country.. and the cowboy groups..

tenorjazz

The desert is pretty in the Spring, this is the first time I've been there, this time of year. Really don't like the summer in the desert, way to hot.

Do you mean the hair bands of the 80's like Poison, Motley Crue and so on?

JP... Like the idea of Classical mixed with Big Band, country and rock but for me, the classical dynamics can be so wide, I loose the soft stuff and the loud stuff gets too loud. I go with ear plugs and headphone speakers and so the fidelity is not what I am use to. I'm usually very picky about my sounds and at home I have a small recording studio with really nice speakers so everything else never meets that standard. Wish I could find a better solution for the music on the road!!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,