Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
durangod

Some tips on HF trailer trailer build

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

durangod

Hi thought i would take some time and leave some tips on here of what they dont tell you in the book when you build your own HF trailer.

First things first check the local store if you have one to see if they have a trailer in stock, its better to get one locally if you can because the stores wont accept damaged boxes and damaged equip from truckers. Otherwise if you have ordered one online then when the truck arrives at your home demand that the driver wait until you quickly open the boxes and check for damage, trust me when i say that they are not gentle with those boxes so just go thru it real quick and check for damage, if damaged then make sure the driver makes note of it on the invoice before you sign it, if you dont notate damage on the ticket HF prob will not replace the damaged item...

Once you get the frame layed out and the bolts in then measure it corner to corner, you should get pretty close to exact, it your an 8th of an inch off thats cool but if your a half inch off thats too much, use a rubber hammer and adjust it to square then snug down the bolts and measure again.

Then once you get the tongue on do the same thing but measure from the center of the spindle (the end of the axle) to the front center tip of the tongue on each side, you should again have pretty close to exact measurements. If so youll be assured your trailer will run square and true down the road.

Cut you two pieces of water hose about 2.5 inches long and when you put then rear spring bolt in the trailer, slide the piece of water hose inside the bracket and slide the bolt thru it. This will cut down alot of the trailer chatter.

Before you put the hubs on, check to see if the rear seal has been preinstalled or not, some do and some dont, some let you to it, some are already pressed in. If they have already pressed the rear seal and bearing in the hub, then leave it, if you try to take it out youll have to get a new seal. just pack it best you can with it installed with high temp grease using your finger.

You def want to repack the front bearings with high temp grease. Before you mess with any grease thought, grab each hub and run your dry hand along the inside of the hub, sometimes in the manufacturing process they leave skins in there, the skinks come from the molding process (think about the stuff that you find on model car parts sheets, you know that thin junk plastic, well this is similar in appearance but its steal) youll know right off because youll feel it, its like a huge ridge in there. If the inside really smooth and you dont feel anything then your good to go on that, however if you do then you need to get all that out of there as it can come loose and work its way into your bearings.

In the process try to protect your rear bearings from debree, blow or wipe all that stuff out of there then pack your rear bearings in place and then pack your front bearings and go ahead and fill up your hub part way with grease just before you install it, make sure you toss some grease on your spindle also so you dont slide the hub on a dry shaft.

And always remember dont overtighten that spindle nut, just snug then back it off a notch, too tight will bind your bearings or worse, there should be no play when you wiggle the hub, but you should be able to spin the hub freely...

One final thing, dont install your wiring using the wire clips that come with the trailer, your asking for trouble later. Go down and get you some flexible plastic wire harness and harness all your wiring and use plastic pull ties to secure, youll be much better off that way in the long run...

More later.. hope this helps someone, if you have questions ill be glad to help you.

AspectTwo

Good post Dave, thanks for the advice! Luckily we won't need to use it because we already have a Durango Dave's trailer :dance: Can't wait to inspect it when it rolls in from NM!

AspectOne

Good advice Dave.

I just got back with my trailer and it is GREAT!!! I love it!

Thanks Dave and look for my trip post later today.

durangod

thanks bud im so glad, ill shoot you off a quick customer survey but gonna let you get settled in for a few days first.

vtxcandyred
Theres one thing I did to mine that I thought was a bit trick. Instead of using wire loom I used pvc water tubing and that foam expander stuff. I ran the wire throught the pvc attached it with conduit holders glued it and when it was wired I squirted some of that expanding foam in the ends to keep it dry and bug free. Works like a champ. Draw back is if theres a problem down the road it has to be torn apart but I figure if theres a problem any other way it has to be addressed too sooooooo.

Buffdaddy55

I know that this is the closing the barn door after the horse has ran away, but, make sure you have all of the right parts. I bought a HF trailer and they sent me two of the left frame members and after two months of them continually sending me the wrong part, I had to modify the frame member myself to make it work. Their warehouse crew don't know their right from their left even after sending them pictures of what it was suppose to look like.Their customer service is a joke.

Buckfarrack

[user=3561]Buffdaddy55[/user] wrote:

I know that this is the closing the barn door after the horse has ran away, but, make sure you have all of the right parts. I bought a HF trailer and they sent me two of the left frame members and after two months of them continually sending me the wrong part, I had to modify the frame member myself to make it work. Their warehouse crew don't know their right from their left even after sending them pictures of what it was suppose to look like.Their customer service is a joke.

IT IS A JOKE! Now,i KNOW you ain't gonna believe this but i will tell you anyway...

I had a brand new trailer with a bad tire jumping up and down,out of round so bad you couldn't go over 10mph.I took it back and asked to exchange the whole wheel and tire with one in the shelf.The MANAGER said he CAN'T exchange it because they all have DOT #'s sent to the state,that it is registered to THAT trailer.I laughed at him and said,WTF happens if i blow a tire in UTAH? I can't put a new tire on it? LOL He said yea but he couldn't exchange one or he would get in trouble.Well,i had to dummie-up a little bit,so i bought a NEW tire & Wheel and left the store.Next morning i went back and told him it was junk i wanted my money back.LOL That's all,they fell for it.After i got the refund I asked for the manager....YEP,you guessed it...I told him he just got the bad tire back.LOLOLOL.I bout went nuts on the idiot! i KNOW they have a number but you can't actually be THAT stupid can you? LOL My gosh,sometimes i don't know how some of 'em make it.

Good advise Dave!

vtxcandyred
Its funny how posts and topics can take on a life of their own. Not bad for a three year old post. Glad you got it fixed in the end though.

Buckfarrack

[user=836]vtxcandyred[/user] wrote:

Its funny how posts and topics can take on a life of their own. Not bad for a three year old post. Glad you got it fixed in the end though.

Yea i think the forum rules are GREAT!!!! Hyjacking a thread IS perfectly ok.As a matter of fact,the forum rules finds it interesting where a thread might wind up.So do I!