Dobeman

tires

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Dobeman

Need to replace the original tires. What are the favorites?

Joep

:doh: You will get many opinions on this... :scared::scared::watching::watching::watching:

AspectOne

OK let me tell you this... when i had to replace mine on my 1500 everyone told me to go E3's so I did. Great tire for DRY CONDITIONS but terrible in the rain!!!! BTW iyt RAINS A LOT HERE....

So I have had super good luck with the way Metzeler Lasertec's grip in the wet and have heard good things about the michelin tires BUT as soon as the rear wears down on this E 3 I am going to the dark side with either a firenza or dunlop 60 series CT. Probably and Avon on the front.

DaveO430

After trying other tires (bridgestones and E3s) I found the original dunlop D250s were not that bad after all comparatively. I don't run anything conventional on my 1800 anymore though. I run a michelin car tire on the rear and found a michelin rear motorcycle tire I loved on the front but they seem to be discontinued so the search is still on.

Monk

I have Avon Cobras on mine at the moment. They work better for me than the Dunlops did. That said ... I will probably try a car tire when these wear out.

KC604

Coming up to 10k miles on original Dunlops on my 08 and don't really have any problems with them except noisy. Think I'll try Bridgestones next.

tulsawalk

Bridgestones - great feedback to your butt and great wet weather traction. They will cup just like all the rest and as they wear the 40 mph deceleration wobble will come on and increase until you put on new shoes again. That's typical. I spoke to a Bridgestone engineer and his remark was "the wing is a very heavy bike, heavy bikes cup tires, get over it". I liked the response.

I have tried, in this order:

Original Dunlop 250s - yuck

Bridgestones - woo hoo

Metzlers (emergency had to) - little harsh, great dry and wet traction

Back to Bridgestones and will stay there short of another emergency,

kenwood599

"Bridgestones - great feedback to your butt and great wet weather traction. They will cup just like all the rest and as they wear the 40 mph deceleration wobble will come on and increase until you put on new shoes again."

After the initial D250's that came on the bike, I am now on my 4th set of Bridgestones and I have not experienced any cupping or the deceleration wobble that is described. I get close to 19K miles on the tires and I will put them on again. I removed the wheel weights from the rims on the first tire change and installed Dynabeads in the tires. I have noticed longer tire life and excellent wear. I do run 41 PSI in the F&R. I do ride two up at times and I do pull a trailer at times also. I am not the only person in our group that has Bridgestones who has no cupping or the wobble. There are four of us so far. I have 15K on the present tires and they still look very good.

tulsawalk

I need to know you secret. Retiring in a few months (no pun intended) and would like to get more miles than I do. Maybe I need to slow down and stay off the twisties. Or maybe again not so much. :-)

kenwood599

I have been retired for over two years now and the fiancee and I travel extensively with the Wing. I have two bikes and I usually ride a minimum 50K per year. Several years I had close to 75K. This year was a bummer due to a small illness and I was 183 miles shy of 50K. I usually keep some sort of mileage data for tires but I have no clue to how many sets of tires I have been through since the mid 60's but I know it has been a lot. I do not ride twisties much because I don't enjoy that type of riding anymore. I did take a two day trip from my home to Deals Gap and back with a few friends just to say we rode the Dragon (rode it 3 times) and pick up a shirt. It was OK but I really didn't get much out of it. I did when I was younger but not now. Since I do a lot of U.S. touring, I ride the super slabs the most but then there are people like yourself who enjoy the "twistie" style of riding and I say go for it if you like it. I have been using Dynabeads for several years now and I really get excellent mileage from my tires with the beads. My other bike has tubes in the tires and I use Bridgestones with the beads there also. I have great success with Stones and beads.

tulsawalk

I will have to find something to do in my retirement. I'm 48 and am being retired from the military/federal service (I'm a full time Air National Guard Technician, it's complicated to explain the employment) for a non-service related physical condition. I will draw a disability retirement from my civil service position but it is only a percentage. I have a daughter in a private college that has its' demands so full time riding is not in our cards yet. But hey, at 48 I shouldn't pout about that right?

kenwood599

I'm 62 and I put my son through 6 years of college. It was worth every penny of it so I can relate to your college expenses. I retired when I was 57. I am not tied down anymore and now I do what I want to do, so, I travel on the Wing. 48 isn't a bad age to retire. Even if full time riding is not in your cards yet, you can still enjoy riding at your leisure. I have been riding for 46 consecutive years now and I have no intentions of stopping. There are still parts and places in the U.S. that we want to see. You will enjoy retirement, I know I do. I still miss a couple of the personnel who worked for me but I definitely do not miss the position I had. I am now stress free. We are going to tour the great NE U.S., Canada and Nova Scotia this summer with a few other retired GW couples. The plan is to be gone about 10 weeks. I was in your fair city this past year for Wing Ding. Went with 21 other Goldwing riders. Stayed in Tulsa for a few days and then headed west to see the sights. Got home 8 weeks later. The snow is melting enough here that I might have the opportunity to get the Wing out of the garage. I have been riding the other bike this year so far because I don't want to get the Wing all slopped up just yet. Good luck on your retirement. I am sure you will enjoy it.

I didn't mean to hijack the post so I hope the original poster buys the tires he needs. I have been a Bridgestone guy for years.

tulsawalk

Great prices on tires here, my favorite place to buy:

http://www.directlineparts.com/

Another place for great prices:

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/

I prefer to shop at Direct Line and they will beat any other internet priced tire by $5.00 All you have to do is give them the link of the competitor when you call to get the price match/beat.

Honda Direct Line sponsors another 1800 forum I hang out on.

Blue

I've got a question for the folks who use car tires on their bikes. Is it safe? It seems to me that there are some disadvantages to a car tire , particularly when cornering.The

less rounding of the tire means less rubber on the road( I think) Or is this a non issue? I assume you get far better mileage out of a car tire but if you have to run at lower than recommended pressures, doesn't that negate the mileage gain? What about the mis-match between front and rear? Another non issue?

Just curious

AspectOne

OK... this subject has been talked to death but I am gonna touch on a few points here...

1st,

Do a bit of research and find the many posts about this subject already listed...

2nd,

I have seen, ridden with and spoken to numerous people using them and they are simply BETTER! Better for cornering, better milage, better traction, better EVERYTHING than a MC tire.

I have personally seen Dave0430 WALK AWAY from from me in corners with sand and other dangers on his bike with a car tire and ANYONE who is running one will tell you the same thing. YOU WILL LIKE IT!

tulsawalk

[user=1568]Blue[/user] wrote:

I've got a question for the folks who use car tires on their bikes. Is it safe? It seems to me that there are some disadvantages to a car tire , particularly when cornering.The

less rounding of the tire means less rubber on the road( I think) Or is this a non issue? I assume you get far better mileage out of a car tire but if you have to run at lower than recommended pressures, doesn't that negate the mileage gain? What about the mis-match between front and rear? Another non issue?

Just curious

There is a huge following on this board. Click on sub boards then darkside riders for the car tire forum.

Have tough hide cause a lot of folks on this forum are pretty rough.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forums.php

Archer

I don't run anything ordinary on my 900 any longer, however. I run a Michelin vehicle tire on the back and found a Michelin back cruiser tire I adored on the front yet they appear to be stopped so the pursuit is still on.