Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
kristop64089

How many times have you dropped your bike?

137 posts in this topic Last Reply

mooseye

Is this where I sign up?

First 3 times in loose gravel on a slope.

The 4th was the worst. Leaving the local beverave dispesory, get on, side stand up, look for key, feel that magic point of no stopping the b---, begin cursing, start to step off and feel about 20 hands float the monster back on her feet. I had been parked with my back to a plate glass window so eveyone inside got to catch the show. Mosty HD riders Talk about being ready to ride!

No wait, maybe the fifth was the worst. That was 10 minutes later when I got home I parked in a different spot cause my truck was in the way and the side stand just plunged right in. Talk about ptfo!

I have come to realize with this limited expeience, that if you are a light weight like myself, jump off and snatch that baby up right then while you are fired up. It gets much heavier if you wait.

Spaz

Not wanting to be embarrassed in front of a gathering of strangers at a M&G or somewhere else by having to announce my first drop, I very maturely and wisely decided to drop mine on day one when I brought it home from my BIL while unloading it!!! So there!!!! :disagree:

mooseye

I got a question!

Do japs ride these things or were they just designed to torture Americans. (jk)

AspectOne

Listen, I stole my dads bike when I was a kid yea??? he was gone and I took it, could barely reach the ground on it but I was king I had a brand new bike and was out cruisin.... well i dropped it at an intersection and couldn't pick it up... to old grey haired ladies got out of an ancient LTD 4 door and came and helped me!!!!!!

:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

Warlock

I did the no kickstand down thing once with the pink Wing and my wife has over centered the current bike once. Fortunately we were in grass so no real damage.

But yeah, 2 kinds, them that ain't yet and them that have.

mooseye

I'm sorry, but I love this thread.

I read every single post before adding my own. It really made me feel better.

I am sure the 1500 has the center of gravity at about the top of the drivers seat. lol

I am nervous just sitting on it trying not to overbalance the beast!

New83wing

well ironically before today i had not dropped mine,but this morning after getting gas slung the leg over,pulled at the same time and wham mo..sand on the other side.so needless to say it tried catching it but it hit the point of no return,so like previously said i hopped off grabbed it from the ground and picked it up while still cursing..lol no damage just a sore back..lol

solodadof2

My Voyager went down on me when we were parking in soft gravel that we thought would be more compacted and the kick stand went through like a hot knife through butter. The other time was on my RSTD a friend was test riding a vision, we pulled of into a parking lot and he handed me a camera to take a picture of him I said sure and began to jump off the bike, No kickstand of course however it did not actually touch the ground but if I would have had to hold it by myself for another minute I believe there would have been an exploded testicle.

Hodgy

I have come close with the 1500 a few times. All of those times involved brining it back to centre off the kick stand.

Bike is sitting on hardtop with gravel where my feet are placed. When the weight is transferred from the kick stand it is sometimes like your feet are on ball bearings. I try to watch where I park.

It does not help that I am a little short on one end !

tazman

:surrender:

:disagree:

OK, I guess it's high time I fessed up too. I dropped my 1100 twice. Once the day I took it out after all that rebuild and painting. A 5-6 year old ran out in front of me in my subdivision not 4 houses away from the garage. I turned sharply and lost it but missed the kid. Made him lead me to his house and called out his dad to hear the story. Something tells me he had a very uncomfortable seating arrangement the rest of the day. Second time was in gravel downhill while marshaling a bicycle ride. Lots of witnesses, very embarrassing.

:surprised:

I have dropped the 1800 twice also. First time in a parking lot at the local Honda dealer about a week after getting it. Using reverse for the first time with wife on board. Second time at gas station, slipped on sand in the parking lot.

:rage:

Thankfully never did any serious damage to either bike except a broken highway peg on the 1100.

So there! When do I get my membership card and how much are the dues?

:worthy:

Rudy

[user=1]Devans[/user] wrote:

[user=12]mikef[/user] wrote:
Or maybe the time I dropped it in a gas station in Texas, picked it up, only to realize the kickstand wasn't down, and dropped it the other way.

:rofl::rofl:

Sorry Mike, but I can just picture that :yes::rofl::rofl:

What Mike failed to mention is that he had been riding marathon style from Wisconsin to GA and all over GA and then left to head west from the last GA stop, all the way to almost Texas. So I have to say that one can become more tired than one thinks after consecutive days of long riding.

Still would have been fun to watch.

I've dropped mine 2x. Once on a tight radius in my driveway when a surprise object appeared left there. The other was in the driveway again but this time I thought I was setting it onto the side stand. But alas, no side stand was down and by the time you realize it, it's game over.

Always a good time.

Geezerglider

NOT ONCE

today. :funny:

Joep

[user=118]Warlock[/user] wrote:

I did the no kickstand down thing once with the pink Wing and my wife has over centered the current bike once. Fortunately we were in grass so no real damage.

But yeah, 2 kinds, them that ain't
yet
and them that have.

make that three times those that lie about it

Hodgy

If I can't fix the backfiring and missing with my 1500 -----> I am going to drop it alright ----->right off a cliff into the Elbow River !!!!!!!!

trike lady

I dropped the Harley Dresser twice and the Wing never, that's why short people like me use a Voyager on their Wing.:yes:

Redbone

Dropped my Goldwing? Never! Almost, but saved it. However, I did drop a Suzuki once (slipped in some antifreeze). And a Ducati, too (stalled on a slow right turn).

Danimal

Great thread. I read everyone.

For me, 3 times in the 15 months that I've owned it.

First time was a couple of months after I had it and was driving up the driveway and was trying to open up the garage door. Laid it right over in the yard.

2nd time was while we were on vacation out in Yellowstone a couple weeks ago. Pulled the bike out there so this was our first morning of getting out and it was about 40 degrees so we were bundled up. Heading into Yellowstone there was a light for construction on a bridge that just turned red. So it was a fast stop. All of our weight shifted to the front. We stopped but I couldn't balance it. Fell over. I just put my leg out and stood up. Wife though went for a little spill onto the pavement. Nothing hurt but our pride. No one was around.

3rd time was our last day out there and was at Custer SD. Loading it back up on a tilt trailer I didn't have enough speed to get the wheel into the tilt over chock. It was in that one area of no mans land as I rolled backwards and my feet can't touch the ground, I went over. Again no harm but this time there were lots of people standing out on their balconies of the motel and a restaurant full of people looking out the big picture windows. I put on quite a show for them I guess. Got up, started it up again and got it on board with no issues.

Certain it won't be the last time I've done it.

Mike Hirsh

twice so far...

First time I was in the front yard, ran over some toy the kids left at the same time I applied the front brake and swish we were down!

Second time was in my garage putting it on the center stand and I leaned it up from the side stand too far/fast and over it went.

wingtraveler4647

Just dropped mine at a gas station! Was leaning to the left when I got off it and it fell over to the right!!!

Go figure! I stopped laughing and picked it up.

golly

this new one 2 days ago :doh:

Mortimerr

Over the past decades, a couple of times - like everyone else due to slippery footing/stupidity. The most memorable had to be with my first bike, a Honda 400/4 Supersport. I was out riding one day when I heard a siren behind me. Looking in the rear view mirror I see an ambulance coming up behind me. Being the legally responsible person that I am, I pulled over to the side of the road to let him by. What I didn't happen to notice was that there was no shoulder where I happened to pull over - in fact there was a small ditch. I put both feet down, and of course my right foot just kept going. What else could I do but wave at the EMT in the passenger seat of the ambulance as they went by with the bike and I laying in the ditch. Thankfully, the ditch was soft and I didn't get trapped beneath the bike. Neither the bike nor I were damaged - well except for my pride. It was a good lesson learned early on.

dquinta

The Ultra twice. Once with the wife loaded and on a trip the second time at the Costco parking lot with the grandson. We had the Goldwing for one month and again we were loaded and just leaving Phoenix when I decided to pull out at the next exit to top off the tank. At the light, with a right hand turn and uneven road, over we went. It would be to the down hill side. It pays to jog, because in less than thirty seconds we were upright and gone. One car did stop and offer help, he said he had dropped his wing once or twice. I felt two foot tall. Yes! I am a member of the drop club.

mespock

Only Twice ... Lucky it was a soft tip kept it under control and just set it down.

yooperfan

I'm with wingtraveler4647. I also leaned left and the wing fell right. I was not moving at the time. The video I had seen here, on this site, popped into my head and I was able to stand it up quickly. There were no witnesses that I know of so I didn't have to tell the wife. Mine happened a couple of weeks ago. My pride took a beating, but I was fine. When I looked for marks on the crash bar, I only found a small scuff mark. Then I looked on the left side and found a matching scuff mark there as well. I guess the PO dropped it once too.

Tank4300

Dropped mine once. I was in the shed the second day i had it and was trying to figure out how to get it on the center stand. I had both hands on the handlebars and tried to jerk it up there and away we went.I learned then there is a point of no return !!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,